Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New model kite vs. old model (3-5 years)

Forum for kitesurfers
ACD2B
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands: Muiderberg/ Schellinkhout/ Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Still to discover.
Style: Freeride/ Beginner
Gear: RRD Vission 12m, Slingshot Rally 2016 9m, RRD Bliss LTD 139/43, RRD global bar v8.2
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

New model kite vs. old model (3-5 years)

Postby ACD2B » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi everyone,

new to the forum and also kitesurfing. Already managing to kite upwind and today managed to ride toe side... Nevertheless, I have a 12m RRD vision (2019) which I think is a great kite. I am considering buying a second kite of 9m, which I think I would use less than the 12m, but let's see through the year. I own a board 139x43. I weigh 93kg and am 193cm tall.

My question is, does it make sense to buy a kite model (not second hand) from year 2015, 2016? I understand the technological advances for a beginner might not be so significant, nevertheless the kite has been stored for some time (durability), maybe other. Would be interested to hear your views on this.. Btw I am looking to buy RRD vision MK4, which has a decent price tag atm, around 300 cheaper than a 2019 model.

Thanks!
Andrew :thumb:

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Re: New model kite vs. old model (3-5 years)

Postby thewindego » Sat May 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Before you jump check out this deal. Not affilated just a price thats very attractive.

https://www.silentsports.com/kiteboardi ... c19df04c1/

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Just buy used. Who cares if the kite is already that old. If it was not sold for such a long time then there typically is a reason for that. But I also don’t know that specific kite. Either brand new, last years model or used if you find the kite you like. For 800 you really should get last years kite - although not clear to see what actually will become a current year model with all the covid changes.

My thought. G

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:06 am

Hi ACD2B,

I think it makes a lot of sense. I buy my Religions from all over Europe, get them brand new at 60 to 64% off...perfect. Only slightly above secondhand prices.

You just have to be lucky finding the right deal.

There will be some kites that have evolved significantly in a few years, but as a rule most kites haven't changed all that much. The Religion was a top wave kite some versions ago, and still is, I don't see any reason to think it wouldn't be a decent wavekite compared to the current version.

I'd say the the same goes for the Vision.

Later,

Or6

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 am

Hi ACD2B Is it this kite ? https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/
I don`t know it personally but i think, after watching the flight characteristics and the given infos from gleiten.tv that this kite fits for the more heavy riders with it`s power and the slightly higher stearingforces,yes it could be a nice 9m kite for you. The MK4 had the safety on both front lines, that system had more pull when released. If you have a single front line bar for your 2019 vision , it will also work with the MK4, perhaps less restpull.
For the fabric , there is no downside if the kite was stored away in a bag without sunlight. The improvements to the newer kite generations of the visions seem to be minor in terms of general freeride flying. Single frontline safety, different bridle & materials doesn't make such a big difference for your purpose.
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
ACD2B (Sun May 17, 2020 9:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am

RRD kites (not sure which models) are the only ones that after testing I left me thinking - what the f*** is this crap. I really wish i knew the models i tried. Not only one - but 3 or 4 different models of my friends. One was front stalling and falling on me all the time, the second one had 100kg of bar pressure and still didn't turn in time to avoid the water, the third one kept pulling to the left... Okay I am sure they have good models but how the hell is it possible for me to have such bad experiences with it..

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 pm

HALF wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am
RRD kites (not sure which models) are the only ones that after testing I left me thinking - what the f*** is this crap. I really wish i knew the models i tried. Not only one - but 3 or 4 different models of my friends. One was front stalling and falling on me all the time, the second one had 100kg of bar pressure and still didn't turn in time to avoid the water, the third one kept pulling to the left... Okay I am sure they have good models but how the hell is it possible for me to have such bad experiences with it..
My experience of RRD kites is opposite, I rate them pretty high. Vision 9m, Obsession 9-12m, Addiction 18m, all good or very good kites. RRD flying lines are also better than usual stuff.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 pm

I really think it is my luck then, as one of my friends had classes on an rrd and he was happy with it (well as happy as a beginner can be). I will try them again, as the prices are good, i just hope finally my bad luck streak ends.

ACD2B
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD Vission 12m, Slingshot Rally 2016 9m, RRD Bliss LTD 139/43, RRD global bar v8.2

Postby ACD2B » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 pm

thewindego wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:36 pm
Before you jump check out this deal. Not affilated just a price thats very attractive.

https://www.silentsports.com/kiteboardi ... c19df04c1/
That is a pretty good deal indeed, but also pretty close to what I am seeing for RRD kites from 2019.

ACD2B
Rare Poster

Postby ACD2B » Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 pm

or6 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:06 am
Hi ACD2B,

I think it makes a lot of sense. I buy my Religions from all over Europe, get them brand new at 60 to 64% off...perfect. Only slightly above secondhand prices.

You just have to be lucky finding the right deal.

There will be some kites that have evolved significantly in a few years, but as a rule most kites haven't changed all that much. The Religion was a top wave kite some versions ago, and still is, I don't see any reason to think it wouldn't be a decent wavekite compared to the current version.

I'd say the the same goes for the Vision.

Later,

Or6
Hi Or6,

Thanks for that! I have been hearing positive things about RRD kites (I am sure there are better and worse brands) and having the vision I have to say I like this kite (design and the feel), although I did have to get use to it a little, as you constantly need to power it, otherwise the kite lines may become too slack due to the flexi pig tails (I assume). Got a bit used to it and now is just a great kite for a beginner.

Re the price, I am also looking at that, its just that the 2016 model is now for EUR 400 vs. EUR 700 for 2019 model (same size).
Thanks!
AC2DB

Return to “Kitesurfing”