Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bars with adjustable Y ?

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bars with adjustable Y ?

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 am
Once go to to bare carbon there wasnt going back for me. Doing one bar is time consuming and not worth saving money. But if you doing like 6 at one time, many operation are get streamlined and efficient. Then its start to be reasonable. You can make bar for every kite with precise lenght you want. You will make your own lines and safety anyway i suppose.

About Y if you dont want to use safety very often you can splice a eye on one line - and do it without any hardware - I hate any hardware on lines.
If you value time above money - then just buy connect bars from FS - they are most cleanest non nonsense high Y bars.
Do the connect bars flag out to a single line then? Its not obvious what the release is.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 18, 2020 1:24 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 pm
tomtom wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 am
Once go to to bare carbon there wasnt going back for me. Doing one bar is time consuming and not worth saving money. But if you doing like 6 at one time, many operation are get streamlined and efficient. Then its start to be reasonable. You can make bar for every kite with precise lenght you want. You will make your own lines and safety anyway i suppose.

About Y if you dont want to use safety very often you can splice a eye on one line - and do it without any hardware - I hate any hardware on lines.
If you value time above money - then just buy connect bars from FS - they are most cleanest non nonsense high Y bars.
Do the connect bars flag out to a single line then? Its not obvious what the release is.

No, they are only for the specific 5 line foil kites with the B-Safe system, as I understand it.
And many of us ride with 4 lines only, on these.

Thus I will not use it on my waveboard LEIs in 30 knots of wind, as I want the safety if the wind suddenly picks up, or only way to self land if something happens.

On the other hand, you could just connect the 5th line slack to one side of the kite, and safety is fine.

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am

Thank you. That makes sense.

I have an old Zeeko bar which seems like a converted 5th line bar. The safety runs up about 7 or 8m up one of the front lines and is attached there. I guess you could do the same with this bar if you really wanted to go 4 line.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 am
No, I dont want to try with different Y heights...

Need new bars, and I dislike low Y, but if I dont go for an adjustable, it is almost impossible to find the "parts" and lines as a full setup.

8) Peter
Why you dislike a low Y if I may ask?
It is quite the opposite with me. I hate high Y and only want to have low V bars, because of being able to reach and grab only one front line at light wind relaunch.
Greetings, Jaros

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am

jaros wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 am
No, I dont want to try with different Y heights...

Need new bars, and I dislike low Y, but if I dont go for an adjustable, it is almost impossible to find the "parts" and lines as a full setup.

8) Peter
Why you dislike a low Y if I may ask?
It is quite the opposite with me. I hate high Y and only want to have low V bars, because of being able to reach and grab only one front line at light wind relaunch.
Greetings, Jaros

Because, I like the simplicity of having only one line going up in my face, apart from the two steering lines :naughty:

Ha haa, no not really the main reason.

We are all different, but I very very often take pictures, especially when riding alone, to use for a surf blog, and here a non wide angle kitecam can be used sometimes (up on the center strut) in particular waves has to be shot from up here, but only on my non strutless tubekites not on the foil kites.

A GoPro (linear mode, much better pictures) can be used in the Y with all kites, just not a low Y, useless IMO.

When I ride waveboards, it is windy, never use bigger than an 8 m2, so relaunch is never an issue.

On hydrofoils, I often ride in winds where even the lightest strutless can not be launched anyways without walking/running on firm ground, if down, so I drift ashore instead, to launch and dry the kite in the air before heading out again.

In the medium wind range on a hydrofoil, with tube kites 7-8-9 m2, yes, it might help relaunch with a low Y, but still, these kites are typically normal wavekites and can not be relaunched either, because not superlight - apart from the fact they only go down if wind drops, and then you cant do nothing anyway but drift ashore :rollgrin:

Foil kites can mostly not be relaunched if down for a while or soaked, and here the low Y is of no use pulling one frontline to turn it over applies to tubekites.

Self landing, if foiling it is easy to land everything because of the low power.

On waveboards, or foil if wind picks up immensely, landing with a stake the same way as launching, is easy.
But when needed and you have to go down at a different spot on occasion in high winds, rare but happens, going up the frontline is easy and safe, actually even better than low Y, as the first almost half of the way is one thicker line only, safer to grab, and only the last part is two lines.

So for me personally, I prefer the high Y of these reasons.

Having the ability to put the Y low in some cases, would be rare, but the idea of getting an adjustable one when I need new bars anyways is appealing.

I might never use the low Y though, but having the option to adjust, I like, and widens the choice of bars :rollgrin:
Could also simply be used as a camera zoom option, as most kites, probably all small/medium ones, fly quite or fully identical no matter where the Y is.

8) Peter

Ventum
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 pm

If you splice a small piece of line in the frontline you can use below 3D printed part. The 2 puzzle pieces fit on the frontline and will "self tighten" on the splice.
Works fine till now. Drop a pm if you want one including a piece of line to splice in the frontline. If you pay transport the item and 12cm line are free :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm

Oh, forgot one big advantage of the high Y, had almost forgot as ridden with these so many years now.

The low Y means your frontlines got worn a lot where all lines cross, when riding powered and steering with your lines twisted, and eventually they might break both or all of them, because of the shock when one breaks first :x

Does not happen with a thicker frontline and a high Y :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”