Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Whichard as mini chicken loop

Postby downunder » Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am

Except,

even after 18 years we are going back to Wichard :) Put it this way, NO ONE is going back to any release from 2002-2010 :)

So something must be good, right? Maybe in year 2038 we will be going back to Infexion? But hardly believe I'll be able to buy it in an odd boat shop...

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 am

downunder wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am
Except,

even after 18 years we are going back to Wichard :) Put it this way, NO ONE is going back to any release from 2002-2010 :)

So something must be good, right? Maybe in year 2038 we will be going back to Infexion? But hardly believe I'll be able to buy it in an odd boat shop...
You are missing a small but important point my friend 😉
There is no way the Wichard can be ISO certified (the newly released standard), while the Infexion looks very much it could be.

I acknowledge that the discussion here is about DIY bars, but in the case of accidents and insurances involved, having a non-compliant DIY build may be solid grounds for the insurance company to walk out without paying a penny. Just a different perspective. Happy to hear other opinions on this.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 am

nixmatters wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 am
downunder wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am
Except,

You are missing a small but important point my friend 😉
There is no way the Wichard can be ISO certified (the newly released standard), while the Infexion looks very much it could be.

I acknowledge that the discussion here is about DIY bars, but in the case of accidents and insurances involved, having a non-compliant DIY build may be solid grounds for the insurance company to walk out without paying a penny. Just a different perspective. Happy to hear other opinions on this.
All Q/R's produced before April 2020 will not comply with the ISO standard, but all Q/R's produced before the Standard was implemented can apply with proof they meet the standard and get listed on the GKA website and label their product as GKA ISO approved.
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2020/04/ ... e-systems/

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am

Ha ha

Nix, that's irrelevant for an average Joe.

As I understand any certification is a double sword edge. Compliant ISO part is also prone to a lawsuit, companies went bankrupt for less. This sport is too small.

Off topic discussion so ...
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
nixmatters (Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed May 27, 2020 12:53 pm

Been using since before this century.
But never did understand why attached to bar needing one for each.
Attached sliding style with strong centering bunji to hook cut spreader harness and using North iron hearts with ring, not stock c loop allows micro hook use but much shorter.
I find myself using micro loop a lot even foiling.
SO easy to use wichard, stop rotation ability, add 2, one each side pull lines with knots not balls to prevent unwanted release.
Hook opens down and out.
Also if ever need to reride if released attach above ring, quick release and fly in.
I have many many hundreds of sessions with.
R H

Return to “Kitesurfing”