Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whichard as mini chicken loop

Forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Whichard as mini chicken loop

Postby flying doctor » Sun May 17, 2020 8:26 am

I've been through quite some pages here on custom bars where the whichard is used as connection to a rope style spreader, and this inspired me to mod an old bar with an equally old whichard.
But I thought the orientation would make more sense with the quick release as pushing instead of pulling.

I've actually tried this setup briefly with my Peak 4 on the beach and briefly on the water close to shore, seems to work OK. There may be more chance of wearing out the rope in this way as the hinge of the Whichard can cause abrasion. And I need to figure out how I can untwist the safety flag out to one of the front lines after rotations.
604170B1-F20D-46AD-A796-185111DD6EF7.jpeg
A202CFB8-6BE2-4495-BA3F-F207FF5BD116.jpeg
Any thoughts on this setup from more experienced bar modders on this forum?

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Whichard as mini chicken loop

Postby loco4viento » Sun May 17, 2020 8:31 am

A nice ring on that slider rope will take care of the wear from the wichard hinge
These users thanked the author loco4viento for the post:
faklord (Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 am

A drawback I see is that you possibly miss the yellow ball in a high stress scenario. Plus the ball will be flapping around, might get stuck between the slider rope and the harness (or somewhere else), and trigger accidental release (don't go into waves with this setup).

In the early 2000 years, when proper QRs where not yet available, we all played around with wichards a lot. There were solutions that used a thin pin connecting 2 balls on either side of the release trigger. It works, but not as well as a modern QR like the IQR

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:07 am

I've got a similar setup, but I've gotten rid off the ball. It caused me some unwanted releases...not a good feeling.

Since changing to this setup, it works fine. No spontaneous releases.

Admittedly, I don't use it much anymore, since getting a rope slider chickenloop. I think because I still remember those accidental releases.

Mind you, I ride waves...and that's where the accidental releases happened. Being pummeled under water by a big wave...

I intend to learn how to foil coming summer. I definitely see myself using this setup.
Attachments
20200517_100024.jpg

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:26 am

mede wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 am
A drawback I see is that you possibly miss the yellow ball in a high stress scenario. Plus the ball will be flapping around, might get stuck between the slider rope and the harness (or somewhere else), and trigger accidental release (don't go into waves with this setup).

In the early 2000 years, when proper QRs where not yet available, we all played around with wichards a lot. There were solutions that used a thin pin connecting 2 balls on either side of the release trigger. It works, but not as well [reliably as] as a modern QR like the IQR
This.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am

The bigger Wichard as shown below is the safest Wichard with a ring.

Plus you could turn it and use the eye as ring on the rope.
Add a ring to the depower part.

And add two balls with a screw as release...won’t miss it...just slide down the depower and it will release.

In 2001 we tested with all Wichard and came up with this system as the safest.
Attachments
C267EBC8-AAE9-47B8-B462-5C92269FF36C.jpeg
C267EBC8-AAE9-47B8-B462-5C92269FF36C.jpeg (204.88 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 am

Toby wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am
Plus you could turn it and use the eye as ring on the rope.
Add a ring to the depower part.
MUST turn it around! If your kite hindenburgs and you want to release, you won't be able to release otherwise, as there is no tension to pull against.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 am

I think it is quite important what it has to be used for...

The last thing, when hydrofoiling, you would ever want, is an undesired release.
Whereas being able to release fast, is not important, as you ride maybe a 5 or 7 m2 kite in 13 knots of wind (just an example to show how low power we are talking about).

So the release ball in a long line is way too risky for me when hydrofoiling, has to be a lot smaller so no risk of accidental release.

The other issue with this release is, how difficult it is when you self launch with stake method in light wind.

Kite on its side, powered up so it dont go LE down again, and not so powered that it falls back on its TE with the following mess on a narrow beach , you have to be really quick to run to the QR and connect.

With a wichard you have to connect something to hold the tight line, as you need two hands to close the wichard while hooking it on, and when closed, you have to release the extra "thing" so to speak.

Very bad solution for this kind of time critical launching.

Yes, if you can just slide launch, no problems, but not possible in most spots, and does not work if you want to use a linecam.
And yes, if windy so the kite can stay on its side (like if you ride on a waveboard or TT), no problem.
But in light wind, not good :wink:

This is the very reason I have went back to a CL on most bars, as it is by far the fastest way to get a stake start into your hook quick and easy.

And yes, we almost always self launch, even when more kiters on the beach, as then we know we can always land no matter what the wind does, and we can go out again to the others on the water, after a stop.

8) Peter

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 am

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5EE53A10

This is a older pic from Evan of infexion showing a solution with the flag out . Problem is the twisting can eject the wichard.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun May 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Another option could be something like this, but with the flagging release being a BRM type release using the larger version of the Wichard bail above the swivel (ground to 4mm thick for the Cabrinha type release).
wichardring.png
wichardring.png (564.14 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
redballs.png
So the final release of the Wichard from the Wichard ring would be the equivalent of the BRM final release, but in this case, it would be a push away release instead of a pull release.
Last edited by ronnie on Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”