Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whichard as mini chicken loop

Forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Whichard as mini chicken loop

Postby flying doctor » Sun May 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for all your feedback! You are all making some very good points and on some accounts I had very different assumptions.

For instance: pushing away seemed the safest option to me. Especially with the long webbing with the ball I can push and release with no tension (testing this on land).
And if the ball or webbing would get stuck on my harness it pulls it down which is safe, it should never push away accidentally. But I could be wrong. A shorter webbing seems safer but may be harder to reach blindly.

But good point when foiling that accidentally releasing may be a much larger problem. I really wouldn't want that to happen in a wave..

The self launch is a good point too. I usually connect a pinch type leash connection to my depower rope above the quick release. I always use a slider so I have to assemble the quick release anyway when launching on a tether.

Now using the peaks I can hot launch, also easy with a camera!
5259A81D-4C73-4705-BE30-EDD9B46FDEBD.gif
Getting the flag out to work properly is probably my biggest concern, especially as I tend to rotate the kite quite a lot one way.
And I've also come across some good (small) and relatively cheap quick releases like on kiteattitude.
So forking out a little cash will probably be better for my peace of mind on the water...

Anyway, I'm enjoying all the knowledge here and the chance to reuse some of my old stuff!

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Paracuru, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: 2018's Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby marioparacuru » Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:13 pm

wichardring.png
Whats the black thing inside?
I used to a material called Tecnil (common in the boats). It slides much better than any metal so there's less fiction, better felling and less damage on the hope. I never had to replace the Tecnil since it's so durable. Unfortunately I don't know how to use it with the click bar so I'm thinking about make a mod on it.

When I bought the click bar I immediately felt the difference due to the friction of the metal on it. But I have to admit that the bearing for auto un twist does a great job (at least for a year or two).

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun May 17, 2020 4:57 pm

marioparacuru wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm
ronnie wrote:

wichardring.png
Whats the black thing inside?
I used to a material called Tecnil (common in the boats). It slides much better than any metal so there's less fiction, better felling and less damage on the hope. I never had to replace the Tecnil since it's so durable. Unfortunately I don't know how to use it with the click bar so I'm thinking about make a mod on it.

When I bought the click bar I immediately felt the difference due to the friction of the metal on it. But I have to admit that the bearing for auto un twist does a great job (at least for a year or two).
The black ring is a Wichard Low Friction Ring FRX10.
https://marine.wichard.com/en/blocks/fr ... part-21008

I had to grind it to fit to the Wichard quick release Snap Shackle. It would need to be oriented correctly to close the shackle around it.

I did suggest to Wichard that they could modify their Q/R Snap Shackle to replace a chicken loop- for a rope slide (including clamping round an unmodified ring), but they weren't interested in doing it.
The Antal Ring didn't have enough thickness on it to grind to shape.

alpaia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Hello going back to the original question I read not to put the wichard on a rope but use a ring, the lever when released might still catch and hook on to the rope.

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

This is a quick release for a KISS bar, I added a Whichard quick release in order to get a below the bar swivel. My only issue here is that the safety leash twists and wraps around the centre line when I loop the kite. I get around this by attaching my leash suicide mode as you can see above the KISS release. As long as I activate the shackle release in the event of an emergency the safety leash will stay attached to the main centre line. It isn't perfect but I have not had an accidental release in 50 sessions. If anyone has a good idea how to attach my safety leash in a more conventional manner and won't twist with the main line I would be happy to hear from you. Ultimately I would feel far safer with a conventional flag out.
Attachments
IMG_0045.jpg

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 pm

ronnie wrote:

So the final release of the Wichard from the Wichard ring would be the equivalent of the BRM final release, but in this case, it would be a push away release instead of a pull release.
@ ronnie

Do you have some more detailed shots, on how you made the red release
handle, and how it interfaces with the Wichard please ?

Bille
Attachments
wichardring.png
wichardring.png (564.14 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm

I have used wichard nose release shackles for many years for various applications. Personally I prefer to just have a tab on the gate for the release rather than a ball to reduce unwanted releases. If you make up a knob for the release gate make sure you get your ergonomics right so that the palm and fingers stay away from the latch during a release. The latch will have more than enough energy to injure during a powered release.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Postby evan » Mon May 18, 2020 6:22 am

Breze wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 am
https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5EE53A10

This is a older pic from Evan of infexion showing a solution with the flag out . Problem is the twisting can eject the wichard.
the Swivel had to be blocked indeed.

The other problem was that you need to blow out all of the sand from the wichard after picking it up from the beach and make damn sure every grain was gone or wouldn't close properly.

All other options are way too sensitive with accidentally releasing in the most unwanted situations or hurt your fingers when releasing under high load when the mechanism swings open with force.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Breze (Mon May 18, 2020 6:54 am)
Rating: 8.33%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 18, 2020 9:15 am

Bille wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 pm
ronnie wrote:

So the final release of the Wichard from the Wichard ring would be the equivalent of the BRM final release, but in this case, it would be a push away release instead of a pull release.
@ ronnie

Do you have some more detailed shots, on how you made the red release
handle, and how it interfaces with the Wichard please ?

Bille
Hi Bille,
The float balls have a small hole on one side and a big hole on the other. I had to grind down the head and the nut to fit into the larger hole, and drilled out the smaller hole to the diameter of the threads.
To make the threads fit the Wichard, I opened the Wichard spring to give as big a gap as possible and ground the threads down to a wedge shaped profile so I could get the bolt through the gap. I then had to make the wedge thinner in the middle to allow the spring to close over the latch.
I then reduced the size of the balls to reduce the likelihood of a line catching round them.
redballs.png
openw.png
openw.png (592.42 KiB) Viewed 109 times
My preference would be the BRM system with the end of the knotted adjustment rope looped around the low friction ring to slide on a rope.
I don't currently use the BRM on a rope, but attach it at the centre of the spreader bar - like Greg Drexler does.
These users thanked the author ronnie for the post:
Bille (Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 am

ronnie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:15 am

Hi Bille,
The float balls have a small hole on one side and a big hole on the other. I had to grind down the head and the nut to fit into the larger hole, and drilled out the smaller hole to the diameter of the threads.
To make the threads fit the Wichard, I opened the Wichard spring to give as big a gap as possible and ground the threads down to a wedge shaped profile so I could get the bolt through the gap. I then had to make the wedge thinner in the middle to allow the spring to close over the latch.
I then reduced the size of the balls to reduce the likelihood of a line catching round them.
Thanks ronnie ! :thumb:

I have everything i need to build that ; and personally i think it's
a Great design !!!
I can make the handles from Delrin , on my 36" lathe ; think i can do this job in
under a ------------------------------- 6'er of beer ! :D

It's going on a Jaybar Dynabar V7, that was sponsored to me by 321 kite boarding
a bunch of years ago ; i got to find a replacement rope , for it soon.

That shot showing both sides of the red handle's ; let me visualize this easy !!

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”