Surf eye. How Common?

Forum for kitesurfers
AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf eye. How Common?

Postby AndersP » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am

I use photocromic contact lenses and I really like them.
I don't know if they protect you from surf eyes but they are really comfortable compared to sunglasses when doing outdoor activities.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Has thanked: 0

Postby gator1 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm
I have been Windsurfing for 30 years all around the globe. 100 days a Year. Never any Problems.

Startet kiting last September. Massiv Red eyes. This is lasting for days.

Base cap is helping.
Never dared to go with sunglases. Afraid of possible Injuries from Impact. Broken Glass... what ever.

Also Not sure about cheap eBay water Sport sun glases, with relevant uva uvb Filters.....
With Kitesurfing you are staring up into the sky to look at your kite more than you realize.

Sometimes I'm forced to stare straight into the sun when an out of control kook kites near me and I need to avoid crashing kites. I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.

Very little sunglasses are made from glass now days, Ray bans, prescription lenes, etc, are all plastic, most are shatter proof plastic.
These users thanked the author gator1 for the post:
zlatko23 (Thu May 21, 2020 12:18 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 21, 2020 4:31 pm

AndersP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am
I use photocromic contact lenses and I really like them.
I don't know if they protect you from surf eyes but they are really comfortable compared to sunglasses when doing outdoor activities.
I think the material science for photochromic contacts is cool. But it's not a very good substitution for wearing sunglasses. As outdoorsy people we all accept an elevated risk for skin cancer recognizing we need to be outside for happiness. I won't like it but I'll tolerate if I need 3 cm of skin removed from my cheek or forehead. However if you can avoid UV exposure on the eyelids that is a good move.
Tenzelflap2008a.jpg
Tenzelflap2008a.jpg (221.7 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Follow the link only if you have a morbid curiosity.
http://www.sarawakeyecare.com/Atlasofop ... ture70.htm
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
zlatko23 (Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 pm) • loco4viento (Thu May 21, 2020 10:04 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 am

I started using the Spex USA goggles for two reasons. One is they're easy to put on and off when riding. The other is that at the start of the COVID thing I got hit in the face by my board and split the bridge of my nose open.

I was happy to risk going kiting during COVID. I wasn't happy to risk needing a rescue, ambulance or a trip to hospital. The Spex goggles have a substantial soft internal rubber frame that offers a fair amount of protection to face hits.

They also cover most of the upper part of my face. When combined with a peaked surf hat it gives very good sun protection.

Return to “Kitesurfing”