Crescent Beach NS
The Gorge
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish/Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Canrinha Drifter 2019

Postby CanadianGringo » Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 am

I know there are a lot of kites on the market that are better suited for free ride but this one is just a good deal for a new crispy kite. Currently riding a Naish Ride 2013 as my 12m option.

I am mostly freeride, but do ride lakes that have biggish messy waves sometimes, and like to jump but not huge.

Upwind-ability is definitely an asset but doesn’t have to be the absolute best in this area as I am becoming a much better rider.

I ride in gusty conditions a fair bit.

Long story short am I going to like this kite based on what I need it for and say compared to the
Naish ride that is 6 years older - stretched bridle - multiple canopy repairs? it has two struts.

I would only assume this is going to be a
Massive improvement but if I ride twin tips mostly in the conditions listed above Is this a super bad choice?

Again the price is right. I know there are other better options but that cost a fair bit more.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Canrinha Drifter 2019

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 pm

:thumb: I ride drifters as an all around kite, foil, waves, free ride and share with my wife, I love these kites. You give up a little on the jumping side and that is the only drawback that I can say after two years on them. If cost is attractive then that is one more reason to buy.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm

I have a mixed quiver of Drifter, Switchblade, Contra and Ozone Enduro - I can not say that Drifter is in any way worse than the rest as a freeride/allround kite. As a novice I mostly "mow the lawn", do small jumps, downloop transitions, small waves on twintip, etc.. So for a beginner like me - I am really happy with the Drifter.
My Drifter is 5m, so usually when the wind if for it - there are waves present :)
Last edited by zlatko23 on Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

I wouldn’t get the drifter for a twintip.
It’s amazing on a surfboard but just ok on a twintip.

Now for mowing the lawn and small jumps it is fine.
The switchblade and the moto are better suited for free ride and jumping. I also heard that the drifter is not great in 12m.

cabman35
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 190
Local Beach: South Padre Island, TX. Outlaw flats, South Flats, Pond at North Flats, Jetties
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay resort St Lucia, Hood River, Mil Lacs MN, Wild Cat Corpus Christi
Gear: Cabrinha drifters, Cabrinha Switchblade, Cabrinha Contra, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD, Litewave Wing and surfboard, Cabrinha Surfboard and foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cabman35 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:36 pm

I have been switchblade rider since 2007. Love the kites as great all around kites, especially for boosting and hang time. We recently picked up 8,11,13m drifters as I think they are a much better fit for my wife who isn't boosting jumps. She can comfortably download the drifter with out the fear of a power yank off her board. All around better for her than the switchblade. im enjoying the drifters more and more, only go back to switchblade if I want to boost some jumps. The change in my choice comes with age and having a injured knee Im sure. If you want low end grunt, quick power and boost - go switchblade, if those things are not important - drifter is excellent

Return to “Kitesurfing”