Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What the Farmers muck?

Postby markchatwin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:24 pm
markchatwin wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 pm
I think it relates to kiting, the fact that REAL has in place the most vigorous social distancing and safety guidelines of any place I've seen. I guess I thought it amazing that The REAL kite store was one of the only stores I've visited in Hatteras that is actively trying to keep people safe while also servicing kiters and tourists in town. Liberty gas station wasn't doing anything. Dollar store didn't care. A couple ice cream stores didn't care. I will let it go at that...
Eh, I'm not going to wear a mask just to make you feel better about your fears :roll:

Don't judge others because what they deem as an acceptable "risk" isn't the same as yours. If you don't like it, don't go into those establishments. I'm sure you are one of those who wears a mask while you are in your car alone :lol:
The thing I didn't convey to you is even though I made judgements, showed some fear about establishments that didn't require masks or encourage any social distancing, I chose not to go in those places. I didn't choose to get out of my car and yell at people, yell at the store employees, pass judgment in person because that encourages fights and civil unrest. As you said "Don't go into those establishments".

Look at purdyd's post and the likes he got. Look at Billie's post and the likes he got. Read carefully the rationale of their writing and then look at yours. Quite a difference.

I could be wrong that wearing masks, sanitizing hands, controlling social distancing in your business like REAL does is going to matter in the end BUT I would rather err on the side of caution.

We are obviously divided on this but if I didn't mention the businesses who didn't care and the one that did, REAL, i.e. - pass judgment, then I am living in a world where we can't "report responsibly" the news so others can make up their minds. My fears and judgement are not disrupting your life, they are only threatening your ability to get your point across...
These users thanked the author markchatwin for the post (total 2):
Bille (Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:54 pm) • pākihiroa (Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:06 am

Is this just an advertisement for Real? I think it is bizarre that someone who is concerned about a pandemic would be traveling for pleasure.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:06 am
Is this just an advertisement for Real? I think it is bizarre that someone who is concerned about a pandemic would be traveling for pleasure.
We had a judgment call to make. Myself and my family didn't want to travel but Surf Or Sound refused to give us our money back for an April trip cancelled due to Dare County closing. Red Sky trip insurance refused to cover the loss as well. We felt transferring our money to a different house in May was our only shot at getting some value back. So we went from Syracuse to OBX with a car full of food for a week. We didn't go into stores along the way. We walked into our house spraying a fog of Lysol and wiping everything with alcohol. Our house had been rented the week before by a family so certainly there was risk.

The 2nd day we were there my wife asked to go get dish soap at Dollar Store and I saw the lack of care by the store as well as people going in without masks. I saw the same thing at Liberty, various tourist shops. Kitty Hawk Kites had a sign asking for masks but according to someone I talked to who went in there many folks inside weren't wearing them so obviously they weren't enforcing their policy. Waves Market was very strict in their Covid measures as was REAL.

I visited Surf Or Sound in person one of the days (they weren't picking up phone) for an issue I had with them allowing an unmasked insect spray guy in our house. Oddly enough they were practicing good Covid procedures requiring masks, limiting one from a party in the building and keeping customers 6 feet away from themselves at the counter. When I called them out on letting service workers in peoples houses without masks they claimed they were hired by the owners so it wasn't their problem but they would "talk" to the service company.

Advertisement for REAL? Why not give them props for doing something good for public safety? Give them props for responsibly getting back to business. I don't tend to buy large gear there since I usually find it cheaper at other stores but I do buy small stuff and love the Grill's tuna fajitas...

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Apparently Dare County has new policies on masks to protect it's residents and visitors:

https://www.darenc.com/departments/heal ... oronavirus

Return to “Kitesurfing”