jocol
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Opinions on next Cabrinha kite

Postby jocol » Mon May 25, 2020 11:14 am

Hi all,

I have one Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, that got me into an independent level.
Now I am looking into buying a smaller 9m kite to improve my level, getting more confidence, starting with some jumps.

I was thinking in another Switchblade 9m, or maybe a Moto 9m. Maybe an Fx 9m?

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Re: Opinions on next Cabrinha kite

Postby GJibb » Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Don't read into things too much, buy a kite and go ride it. Maybe after a few years (depending on how often you get to ride) you'll know more specifically what you like/want. It's all hype. An early rider would be perfectly capable of using all three. An all round kite jumps great and you can learn everything you can on an aggressive kite.
Marketing messes with peoples heads too much. We're talking minute differences that the earlier user wouldn't entirely understand, let alone push it remotely close to its limits.
If you have a switchblade and don't mind its turn speed/harness pull, bar weight etc then the smaller one will similar but faster. If you think its aggressive then an all round kite like a Moto would be excellent. If you think its tame and boring and want a kite that you can make yank you all over the place then an FX will be fantasic.

If you are more concerned with just getting time on the water (which you should be) then buy the most all round kite you can find. It might jump 1m lower then a performance freeride kite but it still teaches you how to jump and you won't have any less of a smile. It might have half the line slack that a mid-freestyle kite has but you can absolutely still learn to pop and raley with it.

Don't waste time obsessing, and that's from personal experience. And people's opinions are absolutely dumb in the end. Time on the water is the absolute only important factor. Any kite since 2012 works the treat.
These users thanked the author GJibb for the post (total 9):
jocol (Mon May 25, 2020 2:55 pm) • nixmatters (Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 pm) • droffats (Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 pm) • Havre (Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am) • foursquare (Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm) • Michaelr123 (Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 pm) • Rojbrown (Wed May 27, 2020 4:56 am) • zlatko23 (Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 am) • mcfly777 (Fri May 29, 2020 8:47 pm)
Rating: 27.27%

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Mon May 25, 2020 4:30 pm

GJibb wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 pm
Don't read into things too much, buy a kite and go ride it. Maybe after a few years (depending on how often you get to ride) you'll know more specifically what you like/want. It's all hype. An early rider would be perfectly capable of using all three. An all round kite jumps great and you can learn everything you can on an aggressive kite.
Marketing messes with peoples heads too much. We're talking minute differences that the earlier user wouldn't entirely understand, let alone push it remotely close to its limits.
If you have a switchblade and don't mind its turn speed/harness pull, bar weight etc then the smaller one will similar but faster. If you think its aggressive then an all round kite like a Moto would be excellent. If you think its tame and boring and want a kite that you can make yank you all over the place then an FX will be fantasic.

If you are more concerned with just getting time on the water (which you should be) then buy the most all round kite you can find. It might jump 1m lower then a performance freeride kite but it still teaches you how to jump and you won't have any less of a smile. It might have half the line slack that a mid-freestyle kite has but you can absolutely still learn to pop and raley with it.

Don't waste time obsessing, and that's from personal experience. And people's opinions are absolutely dumb in the end. Time on the water is the absolute only important factor. Any kite since 2012 works the treat.
This should be the 'stock' response to the question "which kite is best for...." to anyone who's been riding less than two years. Just replace the kite names with whatever is most relevant.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 am

What these guys said. In addition to the above, an around freeride kite doesn't usually hurt as bad when you screw up. Building confidence and not fearing to fail is much more important.

Sometimes I still wish I had my larger Evos (Moto equivalent) for learning stuff.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 am

FX would be considerably different for a beginner in going upwind and once he starts first jumps. It's a big ignorant to throw these kites in the same bag. For intermediate rider probably difference wouldn't matter as much as they can get more from any kite.

Moto and Swichblade, yes these two wouldn't make much difference for a beginner however, second one has better resale value.

Lucaarsenault
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Prince Edwards Island, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Home!
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha 2020 FX's

Cabrinha 2020 CBL 142cm.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Lucaarsenault » Tue May 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey Jocol,

Some good points above.

From my personal experience from flying the 3 different models. I'd say stick with the switchblade. The 9m is very fun size. It will also have a very familiar feeling coming from the 12m Switchblade. You'll feel right at home. Smooth, stable, predictable kite and as mentioned above... great resale value. Good kite for all-around.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Keep with the switchblades, grest all arround kites. Definetly avoid the Moto (even if they are discounted).
Only consider Fx if you are into freestyle/ kitelooping, if not the switchblade jumps higher, goes upwind better and is overall easier to manage.

Neurovelo
Rare Poster
Gear: Switchblade + spectrum 2018
Been thanked: 0

Postby Neurovelo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Keep with the switchblades, grest all arround kites. Definetly avoid the Moto (even if they are discounted).
Only consider Fx if you are into freestyle/ kitelooping, if not the switchblade jumps higher, goes upwind better and is overall easier to manage.
I was thinking on changeing my 12mt switchblade to the moto.
:/ most of it I use a twintip and a hydrofoil.

Diego Gama
Rare Poster
Weight: 95
Style: Big Air/Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Dice/Rebel/Evo 2020

Postby Diego Gama » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:22 pm

I would go for switchable instead Moto. I had a moto, was my first kite but switchable is better for jumping is compared to my rebel 5 structures kite. You can learn kite well for jumping. You don’t need get much speed, you don’t need much space, the only struggle that is specific kite for jumping and really good upwind kite. Furthermore you will go an decide what you really want and what style. If you want just learn to jump best option is the switchable, avoid the moto as one of our colleague here said it’s difficult to resale it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”