thenatureboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bay area
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: neo 12
Brand Affiliation: None

High Y bar on a 2020 pivot

Postby thenatureboy » Tue May 26, 2020 10:12 pm

I've heard some people prefer high y's on low y kites, vice versa, and then some that hate anything that isnt the exact type of bar the kite was designed to go with.

Was wondering if anyone has tried a high Y with a 2020 pivot? I have a 2018 north trust bar, and would rather not buy a new bar, but if its hindering performance maybe its worth it.
These users thanked the author thenatureboy for the post:
Nanu (Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Re: High Y bar on a 2020 pivot

Postby andylc » Tue May 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Don’t know about Pivot but I have Bandit 12’s (high V) and a Breeze (low V) with an adjustable high / low V bar. From time to time I forget and go out with it on the wrong setting and the difference is hardly noticeable.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi y can reduce range, increase power and make It more fidgety in the air and at the bar. Especially in gusty conditions.
Have experience flying high y kites on low v bar as flew my bandits on an ozone bar loads and they flew way better especially in the smaller sizes. Up to 2018 kites anyway As switched brands after that due to being fed up with rusty pulleys damaging my new kites after a few days with rust stains left on the canopy from them. Flown a pivot on the ozone bar and that flies fine. Have flown a flysurfer soul 9m on a high y bar and bloody hell you could definitely win speed records on it on that thing with one of those it went like a bullet and I powered past everything moving that day.
never put a pivot on a high y though I’m afraid.
I swear they only keep some kites brands flying on high y bars to keep selling more bars, reduce wind range so you have to buy more kites faster And increase profits over all!

tom893
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Blouberg
Zeekoevlei
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, North Dice 7
Has thanked: 0

Postby tom893 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 am

I have pretty much done this. I have a 9m 2019 Pivot (I'm told the only difference to 2020 is the new inflation system). Since I didn't have a Naish bar I tried a few different bars for a few sessions each to see how it flew.
- Starting point was a Crazyfly Sick bar 24m low V 45cm: The kite flew very well most of the time. Responsive and very powerful. Although I had to be careful not to make errors as the kite would overfly the wind window and then fall out of the sky. After playing with the pigtail lengths I was able to reduce this.
- I then tried with my 2015 North Trust bar 22m high Y 49cm: Kite flies quite well, slightly less power (although this could be due to the shorter lines) and the overflying/frontstall issue was gone and drift was better. But turning was terrible! The "pivoty" turns were not happening, and when downlooping I had to make sure the kite was high otherwise it would go into the water. Even on the fastest turning wingtip setting it had a very lethargic turn.

I had read that Pivots fly better with a Naish bar, and since being in lockdown I have bought a Naish Torque Bar - but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed May 27, 2020 12:24 pm

tom893 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 am
I had read that Pivots fly better with a Naish bar, and since being in lockdown I have bought a Naish Torque Bar - but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Is it really any difference flying the Pivots with any low Y bar compared to a Naish bar? What differences are there on a Naish bar then that makes it perform better on a Pivot or other Naish kites.

tom893
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Blouberg
Zeekoevlei
Gear: Naish Pivot 9, North Dice 7
Has thanked: 0

Postby tom893 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm

I haven't had a chance to fly the Pivot with the Naish bar yet but will definitely report back when I have. I agree it shouldn't make a big difference.

The differences between the Crazyfly bar I had & current Naish bar:
Naish bar is 10cm wider and a lot more bar throw, the trim cleat also has a much bigger range (probably due to Naish kites not having 3 pigtail lengths). I'm guessing that the line elasticity plays a part too - not sure. I had to reverse the Crazyfly pigtails to work on the Pivot, which again, shouldn't be a problem, but I ended up getting universal pigtails so I could tweak line lengths and this is how I mostly stopped the frontstalls
These users thanked the author tom893 for the post:
magnusod (Thu May 28, 2020 3:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

thenatureboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bay area
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: neo 12

Postby thenatureboy » Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 pm

tom893 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 am
I have pretty much done this. I have a 9m 2019 Pivot (I'm told the only difference to 2020 is the new inflation system). Since I didn't have a Naish bar I tried a few different bars for a few sessions each to see how it flew.
- Starting point was a Crazyfly Sick bar 24m low V 45cm: The kite flew very well most of the time. Responsive and very powerful. Although I had to be careful not to make errors as the kite would overfly the wind window and then fall out of the sky. After playing with the pigtail lengths I was able to reduce this.
- I then tried with my 2015 North Trust bar 22m high Y 49cm: Kite flies quite well, slightly less power (although this could be due to the shorter lines) and the overflying/frontstall issue was gone and drift was better. But turning was terrible! The "pivoty" turns were not happening, and when downlooping I had to make sure the kite was high otherwise it would go into the water. Even on the fastest turning wingtip setting it had a very lethargic turn.
Thanks, sounds like it wont be too much of an issue besides slow turning. Not sure if the 2015 trust has the ability to shorten/lengthen the bar, but if it does, have you tried adjusting that for improvement?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 28, 2020 5:26 am

I honestly think, no offense, that most who try different bars, don't get the trim right, so the comparison is often useless....

So would take many responses with a grain of salt :wink:

Just try with your own bar, most likely no or no noticeable difference.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
thenatureboy (Thu May 28, 2020 6:42 am) • knotwindy (Thu May 28, 2020 4:05 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:26 am
I honestly think, no offense, that most who try different bars, don't get the trim right, so the comparison is often useless....
As ever... Peter hits the nail on the head... trimming the kite has a huge effect - for me really noticeable in boosting & heli loops

ps I use an ozone bar on my pivots - no idea if its high/low v - just seems to work ok

andrzej351
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch

Postby andrzej351 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:58 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:26 am
As ever... Peter hits the nail on the head... trimming the kite has a huge effect - for me really noticeable in boosting & heli loops

ps I use an ozone bar on my pivots - no idea if its high/low v - just seems to work ok

The Ozone bar is structurally similar to the original Naish bar. Both have a low V :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”