Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Exploding lines. Anyone had this happen? (picture in post)

Forum for kitesurfers
kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Exploding lines. Anyone had this happen? (picture in post)

Postby kriskris » Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm

I am curious whether initial break point of the first line coincided with the point where you cross them while looping? Can you check exactly how far from the bar line snapped? I only broke lines hitting hard objects but I loop much more since I started kitefoiling. thanks, Kris

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Been thanked: 0

Postby mcfly777 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Had the same happened with a FS Soul. Downloop, fell back when the kite powered up. My damage to the kite was a lot worse, tore 3 bridle attachment points at the TE clean. Since then I learned to not fight the kite when I crash, just go with it. Same when the kite slacks I get ready for the power up by being ready to go with the kite, not fight it.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am

been there - a few times breaking 3 lines at once

i am in the club for people that broke a single line in 3 pieces too - how is that even possible?!

add in snapped bar and 2 snapped lines at the same time, a chicken loop (slingshot) where the actual plastic moulding snapped in half!!! (old model), i have also somehow got my chicken loop stuck in my spreader bar where I could not activate safety, my QR leash is therefore useless and my kite is deathlooping me up beach towards fence (some power moves with the leader lines saved me).

I also did a jump and my kite exploded at the apex (bladder blew out leading edge). - it was fine .. surprised how much the flapping kite parachuted my fall... no problem at all.

Anything that could possibly go wrong will go wrong in kiting at some stage!

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Sat May 30, 2020 9:49 pm

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with ram air kites like Flysufer.

Flysurfer has known about their EXPLODING KITES for almost 20 years, but has been unable to rectify the inherent flaws in ram air kites that lead to this happening.

e.g. viewtopic.php?t=4612

Please do yourself a favour and trade-in your ram airs for inflatables.

Ignore the lies and propaganda. Ram air kites are inferior to inflatables.

Pumpy :pump:

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun May 31, 2020 12:27 am

kriskris wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm
I am curious whether initial break point of the first line coincided with the point where you cross them while looping? Can you check exactly how far from the bar line snapped? I only broke lines hitting hard objects but I loop much more since I started kitefoiling. thanks, Kris
I'm not sure which line broke first, but one line did break in approximately the right spot for that:

SpyrosAKAgi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Loutsa Athens GR
Favorite Beaches: Drepano Patras GR
Style: Old school
Gear: North Reach 12m 2021
North Reach 9m 2021
North Orbit 7m 2020
North Astra 2021 138x41cm
North Navigator 2022 45-50cm

Postby SpyrosAKAgi » Sun May 31, 2020 7:36 am

Wainman Hawaii's bars use the same material in the lines. I have experienced the same issue more than once in the front lines only. This happened because I was looping, downlooping or doing backrolls and frontrolls. The front lines were crossed its other and the friction with each other caused the cut after a while. There are much much more better quality lines out in the market to replace them and give an end to this.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:49 pm
Unfortunately, this is a common problem with ram air kites like Flysufer.

Flysurfer has known about their EXPLODING KITES for almost 20 years, but has been unable to rectify the inherent flaws in ram air kites that lead to this happening.

e.g. viewtopic.php?t=4612

Please do yourself a favour and trade-in your ram airs for inflatables.

Ignore the lies and propaganda. Ram air kites are inferior to inflatables.

Pumpy :pump:
Oh shhhhhh. Child.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun May 31, 2020 2:28 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 pm
Yesterday, I fell mid-downloop, and all of my lines exploded.

I was on a hydrofoil and an 8m Flysurfer Soul in approximately 15-20 knots of wind, so nothing crazy from the conditions.

My bar was a custom setup, with 1.5mm center lines and 1.1 steering lines (liros lines). None of the breaks in the lines happened at splices or joints, just at random places in the middle of the line, presumably wherever the weakest point in the line was.

I broke *three* of the lines on my bar, both centerlines and one steering line. I also broke two brake bridle lines on the kite.

My best guess as to what happened is that one centerline broke, and then the full weight of the turning kite was on the second centerline, which couldn't handle twice the load, and it broke. At that point all of the load was on the steering lines, which popped the highest-loaded brake line on each side of the kite, and one of the steering lines. At that point, the kite flagged out on the one remaining steering line.

This all happened more or less simultaneously (during one loop, so within 1/2 second or less).

I don't know if perhaps one of centerlines was damaged before the loop. I didn't see any damage, but I could have missed something.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Breaking almost all your lines at once?

You missed something :)

It happened to me. I accidentally splashed very hot water over my lines. Next day launched and bang. Snapped two on the same place.

Than remembered water...

Return to “Kitesurfing”