Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 11m Naish Pivot design/manufacturing flaw?

Forum for kitesurfers
TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: 2018 11m Naish Pivot design/manufacturing flaw?

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:49 pm

There are two riders at my local beach that use the Pivots. Both had the same issue. They both have the Gray color scheme w/blue in 14m size(not sure the year). One of the guys had it happen while the kite was still fairly new, while the other guy had it happen after 2 years of use. In both instances, Naish took care of both them.
Before you start making repairs like Marlboroughman suggests, I would contact the dealer and/or Naish. My buddy with the 2 year old kite contacted both and told me Naish is aware of the problem.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi TommyDuotone - What do you mean by "Naish helped them out" ? Did they replace the kites or repair ?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Some pics of my brand new 2018 -7m pivot. You can see where is chages from double to single stitching (to the right of the zig-zag seam) to single stitching (to the left of the zig-zag seam).

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:34 pm

Hugh - I have spotted a difference between my kite and the stitching on yours. Where mine reduces to single stitching it has three seperate lines of stitching, one on each side of the fold and one along the tight edge of the fold, your photos appear to show two single rows of stitching either side of the fold, this could well explain the weakness. The two photos below are of the same spot but taken each side of the fold:

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 pm
Hi TommyDuotone - What do you mean by "Naish helped them out" ? Did they replace the kites or repair ?

They repaired the kite of the newer Pivot( took a while though). The older kite is being replaced by a new one(just happened 2 weeks ago). I would like to add however, that both kites exploded while in use and both in the same spot. Both tears happened about 2 feet to right of the center. And both bladders were damaged as well. I also learned from one of them that Naish has now improved the quality of threads they use in their 2020 kites. Naish now uses a thinner leading edge and you can pump them up to 10 psi. On the ones that exploded, it states not to exceed 7.5 psi.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:11 am

Some of the new sizes you could pump up to 10.5 PSI. I only go up to 9 PSI. If you go for a mega loop session pump it to the max but I would not leave it out in the sun for long, after.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Dwarfcraft and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 am

Thanks all. Billy, you are correct, there is a row of stitching that runs along the outer edge of the folded material, and then the really critical stitching that goes through that entire fold and truly holds it all together. That is the stitching that once it goes the other stitching will not hold.

The repair I did a year ago has held well, even if not very pretty, and I did a cleaner repair this time so I think it will hold, despite being dental floss.

The Naish reps did not get back to me today so I left an after-hours message again asking them to read this thread and get back to me.

I also realized this was a brand new kite I bought as a year-old kite on sale for 850 dollars from REAL.

Anyway, this kind of failure is unacceptable on a kite. I regularly kite far out in Table Bay in Cape Town or across Hatteras Inlet in OBX and would be unable to do any self-rescue and be dependent only on my PLB.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:53 am

Just learned my friend’s kites were 2017. I was also under the impression that it was a manufacturing defect with a batch of kites and not a design defect. I was really surprised when my friend said they were going to replace his kite after 2 years(purchased in 2018). Don't think I've ever seen that before.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Hugh - Does you 11m have the three rows of single stitching too ?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Dwarfcraft and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:01 pm

Update is that Naish is unwilling to replace the kite (they say no 2019 available and seem uninterested in a 50% discount on a 2020). They offer a “repair” by Airtime. I presume that would mean more than just restitching those two knuckles but doing the entire leading edge to double stitching, but have not confirmed that yet. I’m not willing to do that until I have a long spell where I will not be using the kite. So below are two photos of the repair I did, showing both sides of the longitudinal seam. I also reinforced this seam at the next two knuckles outwards on both sides (first photo). There are yet two more knuckles before the tip, but I hope the pressure on those is not so great.

I confirmed with REAL that I purchased this kite new on sale in late November 2018, so technically it is out of warranty. The first failure did occur under warranty last year when I noticed the bladder bulging out of the seam on one side as I inflated it. Probably I should have claimed the warranty then, but replace or repair is up to Naish discretion. They surely know they have a problem with some 2018 Pivots and maybe 2017 given they are such similar designs. Anyway, count this as a Public Service Announcement. If you have a 2017 or 2018 Pivot of any size, check that it has double stitching all the way to the wingtip, and if not get it done.
Attachments
BF7CCF39-A368-4272-A6DF-9E31B7E1BE5D.jpeg
CDF73B7B-AD98-4729-B8F9-A3B6FDEC3607.jpeg
4C319231-958C-435C-9877-A9FFEDFCE068.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”