Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Solo hot launching a tube kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Solo hot launching a tube kite

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:52 am

I have a situation where the wind direction/land conditions make side launching extremely difficult. As it is a spot where I foil, I'm not launching with a lot of power, so I'm not really concerned about powering up the kite - securing the kite before launching is the dilemma. Has anyone developed a technique for solo hot launching a tube kite?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Re: Solo hot launching a tube kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 am

Yes.

If you lay the kite with sand on the trailing edge like a foil kite the tips go up in the air and there is too much force to roll the kite.

You can get it to sit still by piling enough sand to hold it down about 1/3 the span of the kite right behind the leading edge tube. It will sit about 45 degrees to the wind. Walk back and hot launch like a foil kite. It will come up flying toward which ever side is weighted by the sand. Turn the kite to the zenith and it dumps the sand.

I have only done this 3 or 4 times several years ago, I think with an old eclipse thruster. It might not work with every kite. Most of our launches do well with a tethered launch. I have gotten in the habit of doing a dragging self launch in the more normal way that people do it because it does not require a weight and that also seems to work well.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40

Postby airsail » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 am

Something I am trying with Clouds as they can be interesting to self launch. Lay the kite on its back directly downwind, leading edge towards you. Weight the kite with sand on the canopy just behind the leading edge, enough so the kite won’t drag.
Hook in and tighten the rear lines, bringing the kite up to leading edge down, pivot the kite with rear line and launch as usual. If everything goes to plan there will be no dragging at all.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am

I should add that there's no sand/beach available, only long grass & shrubs - which is partly the reason for hot launching as it minimizes the risk of the lines catching on stuff.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Flysurfer Soul 9mtr
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9 +11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:40 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:52 am
I have a situation where the wind direction/land conditions make side launching extremely difficult. As it is a spot where I foil, I'm not launching with a lot of power, so I'm not really concerned about powering up the kite - securing the kite before launching is the dilemma. Has anyone developed a technique for solo hot launching a tube kite?
in light winds I have often done just this to hot relaunch which is very satisfying to get right, and easy after a few trial attempts.
with the kite down on its leading edge,
weighted down by sand in the canopy in the usual way for safety, or as i would sometime do, just use my old Ttip as a weight resting on the edge but not inside the canopy,
lines out the back downwind is best for this, but can be done the other way around if less room to cope with.
hook up and get in a position to walk around with the lines pulling the kite round so the open face of the canopy is eventually fully facing the wind, if the wind is light no drama, just a little bit of a constant pull to lean back against, but keep your hand over the quick release just to be safe, then --
once you are happy and sure you can control the next step, then do this next step --
reach up and grab the 2 rear lines in one hand, hold using a safe simple grip, and let one of lines run out a little so they are uneven, i find you only need to let it out a little, maybe a few inches/cm, this will allow the kite to rotate as you pull these lines firmly back in towards you, at all times keeping your bar in your other hand ready to fly the kite up once the kite has rotated,
(note! your bar must be round the right way for normal flight, its so easy to get this wrong)
as soon as the kite rotates around then very quickly let go of the rear lines and grab you bar firmly and get your feet in line to slide any excess power out safley, dont run or fast step forward, just slide it out,
smile and take the applause :clap: :clap: :clap:

airsail
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40

Postby airsail » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:52 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am
I should add that there's no sand/beach available, only long grass & shrubs - which is partly the reason for hot launching as it minimizes the risk of the lines catching on stuff.
Some of us use small sandbags when launching our foil kites, I have thought of using these for the LEI self launch. Something to try but my worry is getting the bag caught in a steering line as it drops away.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:09 am

This is offered just for fun rather than a practical solution, also needs shortish lines unless you can still sprint. In extremely light wind balance the rigged kite on its tips LE square into wind so that it will just start to fall onto its TE when released. Have the lines to one side so as not to trip over them. Holding the trim strap release the kite and run directly into wind. Ideally you should get the front lines taught just before the TE hits the ground allowing you to rip the kite airborne with the front lines.

This is just for a bit of fun on a next to no wind day rather than a serious solution!

Kristan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Soul 12m, Blade Fat Lady 17m, Flysurfer Pulse2 14m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am

Here's how I hot launched my LEI:

I had my kite parked as usual, on the leading edge. Then I walked upwind, pulling one of the steering lines, so kite would turn. Then I yanked both of the steering lines and kite lifted off. When it was around 3-4 meters above the ground I released one of the steering lines, so kite would turn and fly upwards. Voila. Trim your kite to not to get hardly yanked doing this. Pros: No need for sand bags. Cons: Risk of puncturing leading edge bladder.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Reverse launch instead using the steering lines? Drift launch into the water (works well if you don't have any shoredump)?

Two solutions I'd probably investigate before attempting a hot launch

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 pm

LOL! All these suggestions do not take into account the particular circumstances of the launch ... which is what make a hot launch desirable in the first place!

The launch site is up on a "cliff" (about 15 feet high) with sometimes inconsistent wind reaching the area. The ground surface is long (growing longer as the summer progresses) grass & small shrubs (growing larger as the summer progresses). The grass is a nuisance, the shrubs a hazard, as a line catching on them can "steer" the kite during launching. Hot launching would allow lines to be straight to the kite avoiding the shrubs & then pulling the kite straight up into the air. Once in the air the wind is somewhat less turbulent higher up so keeping it in the air while I negotiate the "cliff" is easier.

The obvious answer is a foil kite, which is why I am considering a Peak4. However, I'm curious if anyone has developed a system for hot launching a tube kite. On a beach I would be able to load sand on the trailing edge & that would probably work (we are talking about lighter, foiling wind here), not possible at my location.

Return to “Kitesurfing”