Forum for kitesurfers
1234567Simon
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Freeride , and Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Solo hot launching a tube

Postby 1234567Simon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Carry some 6 stable Plastik Bags to the Place where you want to launch, and hide the min the bushes After your Session. But you have to fold the Edge once...

But how will you land by yourself?

Sounds like a Place Nobody wants to kite… Go get a Wing 😀

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Solo hot launching a tube

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:42 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:33 pm
Carry some 6 stable Plastik Bags to the Place where you want to launch, and hide the min the bushes After your Session. But you have to fold the Edge once...

But how will you land by yourself?

Sounds like a Place Nobody wants to kite… Go get a Wing 😀
Landing is easy. Drop the kite in a wind shadow. In any case, we are talking about lighter, foiling winds. Why this spot? It's pretty much the only viable spot in this (common) wind direction within a two hour drive ... & it's also 5 mins from my house.

Kristan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Soul 12m, Blade Fat Lady 17m, Flysurfer Pulse2 14m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Re: Solo hot launching a tube kite

Postby Kristan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 pm
LOL! All these suggestions do not take into account the particular circumstances of the launch ... which is what make a hot launch desirable in the first place!

The launch site is up on a "cliff" (about 15 feet high) with sometimes inconsistent wind reaching the area. The ground surface is long (growing longer as the summer progresses) grass & small shrubs (growing larger as the summer progresses). The grass is a nuisance, the shrubs a hazard, as a line catching on them can "steer" the kite during launching. Hot launching would allow lines to be straight to the kite avoiding the shrubs & then pulling the kite straight up into the air. Once in the air the wind is somewhat less turbulent higher up so keeping it in the air while I negotiate the "cliff" is easier.

The obvious answer is a foil kite, which is why I am considering a Peak4. However, I'm curious if anyone has developed a system for hot launching a tube kite. On a beach I would be able to load sand on the trailing edge & that would probably work (we are talking about lighter, foiling wind here), not possible at my location.
I still see no problem or contradictions to my method, since I used it to launch my kite with a lot of other parked kites that are obstacle to normal self launch. All you need is narrow space to stretch the lines for hot launch and that's it.

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:49 pm

I have a similar situation....zero room lateral to wind for launching. So hot launch is only option. No one to help.

Use short lines, and rig with bar downwind of kite. Verify all is good to go with lines. Walk upwind to kite, and push it around so wind catches it and fill canopy. RUN upwind to get line tension, then reverse launch. Short lines=less time running so you get control of kite faster.

If the ground is hazardous to a kite, bring a large tarp or similar to put the kite on.

You can also do same setup, but flip kite over onto its back and then RUN upwind and launch it.

Again, dicey. Practice and be ready to eject. Short lines and lighter winds does make this possible, at least in my experience. Pray a gust doesn't come along at the wrong time !

F-Bear

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 pm

I don't know about hot-launching, but I have found that either a drift launch or a tether launch works at nearly any beach.

Drift launch is how I almost always launch in flat water, and it works nearly flawlessly if done right. Works in any wind direction, but best if you can stand in water a line-length upwind of kite, so 20m out if dead onshore wind. Not a good choice in waves, but really fast, easy, and reliable in flat water or small shore break. It won't work if the wind is too marginal to relaunch a kite, but I dont like to kite in those conditions anyways.

Tether launch works well in anything but dead-onshore wind on a narrow beach. If the kite can sit at one side of the window without wrapping lines on trees or something, it should work. I find it more hassle than drift launching, so I only do this if I'm at a spot with waves. It is reliable, I just find it takes longer than drift launching.

I almost never use the standard solo beach launch from dry ground because the beaches I usually go to are too narrow and covered in debris.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Kristan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:43 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 pm
LOL! All these suggestions do not take into account the particular circumstances of the launch ... which is what make a hot launch desirable in the first place!

The launch site is up on a "cliff" (about 15 feet high) with sometimes inconsistent wind reaching the area. The ground surface is long (growing longer as the summer progresses) grass & small shrubs (growing larger as the summer progresses). The grass is a nuisance, the shrubs a hazard, as a line catching on them can "steer" the kite during launching. Hot launching would allow lines to be straight to the kite avoiding the shrubs & then pulling the kite straight up into the air. Once in the air the wind is somewhat less turbulent higher up so keeping it in the air while I negotiate the "cliff" is easier.

The obvious answer is a foil kite, which is why I am considering a Peak4. However, I'm curious if anyone has developed a system for hot launching a tube kite. On a beach I would be able to load sand on the trailing edge & that would probably work (we are talking about lighter, foiling wind here), not possible at my location.
I still see no problem or contradictions to my method, since I used it to launch my kite with a lot of other parked kites that are obstacle to normal self launch. All you need is narrow space to stretch the lines for hot launch and that's it.
The problem is it's not on a beach, it's in a field with long grass & shrubs. Any slack in the lines, or pulling the kite onto its side can result in the lines wrapping around a bush, also the grass & bushes may prevent the kite from rotating in the desired way. Tether launching is a more reasonable possibility, but the problem is that the wind is inconsistent at ground level & the kite may not even sit up reliably i the tether position. The advantage of a hot launch is that you can pull the kite into the air with the front lines using apparent wind. Once it is higher up there is more consistent wind.

Drift launching is a possibility, but often the area close to shore at water level is in a wind shadow & the water gets deep quickly. Swimming the kite out into deeper with a foil is not that easy ... & the wind may be light enough that water launching may be iffy. Also ... the shoreline is unfriendly if you get pulled downwind!

All things considered, the hot launch offers the simplest, most reliable way of getting the kite in the air & keeping it there. So a foil kite like the Peak4 is the obvious solution. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a method of anchoring a LEI in the hot launch position before take-off.

Again, I wouldn't bother if there were other good options for launch sites nearby ... but there aren't.

duckjibe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Blaise
Favorite Beaches: Atlantis Beach Bonaire, Almanarre Hyéres
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby duckjibe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Hello flyboy

Why don‘t you fix a rope with carabiner or an old safety leash to the ground. Hook in your chicken-loop, walk to your kite and put ist on the traling edge, the lines all streched and clear, ready to hot launch. Walk up to the bar, check your lines two times, hook in the safety leash, then the chicken loop. Release the rope/carabiner, check your lines once again, pull half of the trimm and hot launch.

I wouldn‘t recommend that in winds above 20 kn. In have done that with my 15m2 LEI without problems.

Otherwise buy a foil kite...

George

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Not sure I have the complete picture but can you teether the back lines in the hot launch position? Like a brake line on a foil kite. That should keep the kite on the ground and not moving until you can get to the bar, hook in then release the back lines & hot launch? Maybe?

Kristan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Soul 12m, Blade Fat Lady 17m, Flysurfer Pulse2 14m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:12 pm
The problem is it's not on a beach, it's in a field with long grass & shrubs. Any slack in the lines, or pulling the kite onto its side can result in the lines wrapping around a bush, also the grass & bushes may prevent the kite from rotating in the desired way. Tether launching is a more reasonable possibility, but the problem is that the wind is inconsistent at ground level & the kite may not even sit up reliably i the tether position. The advantage of a hot launch is that you can pull the kite into the air with the front lines using apparent wind. Once it is higher up there is more consistent wind.
Where I launched it was not sandy beach either. And again, you don't need much of space at the sides from your kite, narrow strip where your lines for hot launch is enough. You don't need to go circles around the kite with lines stretched to turn your kite, just walk upwind and pull a steering line. You might even turn your kite 45 degrees to help you with that. And you can still use apparent wind if you launch it with trailing edge up, you just pull steering lines instead of front lines.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:56 am

I've seen people set up the kite nose down with the leading edge facing into the wind. Run the lines out straight upwind then under the kite and attach to the pigtails. To launch, tug the lines to get the kite to sit up and roll over backwards and hot launch. I suspect it would only work in strong winds.

I would try setting up as above, but then work a rear line to twist the kite around until it's facing downwind and nose down. From this position you could do a reverse launch. You'd want to be pretty accurate with your pivot.

You're foiling so you're likely to be using half the kite size of other people so being overpowered shouldn't be a problem.

Plan B is to get a wing and SUP foil board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”