Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Solo hot launching a tube kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Solo hot launching a tube kite

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am

Have you ever tried weighing a tip (same position as old tip folded method) and then used the upper rear line to pull it round to the hot launch position? Might work with a bit of experimentation. I will give that a go next time conditions allow. Of course it does not eliminate the bad ground but it might (stress might as I have never tried it) minimise the space needed.

I am lucky to have wide open beaches and mostly tether but landboarding sometimes throws this sort of problem in my direction.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi Flyboy.
You're on the right track when you mentioned the Peak4. Apart from being an easy and safe kite to hot launch, it's a great foiling kite as well. Also costs much less than a tube kite.

Just get a Peak4 and be done with it, you won't regret it :)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:53 pm

airsail wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 am
Something I am trying with Clouds as they can be interesting to self launch. Lay the kite on its back directly downwind, leading edge towards you. Weight the kite with sand on the canopy just behind the leading edge, enough so the kite won’t drag.
Hook in and tighten the rear lines, bringing the kite up to leading edge down, pivot the kite with rear line and launch as usual. If everything goes to plan there will be no dragging at all.
My light wind technique for hot launch of clouds is lay it on its back TE upwind toward you with little piles of sand on TE and walk back upwind of it. Kite will pivot/bend around TE and launch straight up. Be sure you don’t pull in on the bar!!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:27 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:01 pm
Hi Flyboy.
You're on the right track when you mentioned the Peak4. Apart from being an easy and safe kite to hot launch, it's a great foiling kite as well. Also costs much less than a tube kite.

Just get a Peak4 and be done with it, you won't regret it :)
I have no doubt that a Peak4 is the best choice for my situation. However, it doesn't "cost much less" than the complete quiver of tube kites I already own! Also, there is some question about the efficacy of a Peak4 for light winds. The most useful addition to my quiver would be a kite for foiling in sub 10 knot winds & there seems to be some hesitation about recommending a Peak4 (8m or 11m?) for those conditions.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: one way
Local Beach: Camber
Style: buggy
Gear: Genetrix Hydra, F-ONE Furtive, Fuel

Postby RedSky » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:24 am

Keep in mind that foil kites have an intricate bridle set that may snag in the undergrowth unless you use a tarp or something.

Return to “Kitesurfing”