Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

hatteras july august

Postby Grizwald » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 pm

According to windfinder and windguru this is the worst time of year to go to Hatteras. Additionally it is high season so it will be expensive. That being said is it worth the drive up from SE Florida for a couple of weeks to get away from the thunderstorms. We are not really interested in clubs or restaurants so this is pretty much just a kite trip.
What would we expect to pay for a 2 bedroom on the sound, launch from the back yard kind of place?
If Canada is open we will continue north to visit the aged parent so if anyone have any other recommendations on the east coast they would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Griz

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: hatteras july august

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:28 pm

I don't agree that July-August is the worst time to go to Hatteras. For wind, July is usually a good month. iKitesurf shows July as the 6th windiest month for days over 15 mph. Usually, there are a couple of weeks in August that are good, and a couple of weeks that are dead. But, generally July and early August are good months for kiting on Hatteras Island, especially if you have the flexibility to ride both TT or directional and a foilboard to cover both higher and lighter wind days. (I've kited soundside 5 out of the last 6 days.)

You won't find many 2 BR soundfront accommodations on Hatteras except for condos. Both Kitty Hawk Kites (Waves Village) and Real Kiteboarding (Waterman's Retreat) have 3 BR soundfront condos with launch privileges. Personally, I recommend Kitty Hawk Kites because of the soundfront swimming pool and helpful staff in the kite shop and kite school (friendly help launching and landing, and a more laid back vibe). They have the ability to divide up the 3 BR units into smaller units if you don't need the full condo, but you may lose the soundfront (sunset) view if you go that route. I don't know what they are charging this season, but (as you've said) July and August are high season, so it's not cheap.

There are some soundfront campgrounds that are fairly inexpensive if you have a tent or RV. Some allow kiting from the campground.

Bottom line would be, yes, it's worth the drive from Florida in July-August to kite on Hatteras Island (there probably won't be any wind in Florida!). While there are no guarantees in life or kiting, July or early August would be my recommendation.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:53 pm

The more flexible you can be the better, for example, if you are okay staying in motels or camping you can do an east coast road trip where you stop in S. Carolina, or go on to N. Carolina, or beyond to Delaware or NJ or NY or Cape Cod, depending on the forecasts. I'd hate to be stuck in OBX for two weeks at an expensive house or condo with no wind, but the I sleep in my van on most kite trips! Also, being comfortable in the ocean greatly expands your options for places to kite along the East coast.

Grizwald
Medium Poster

Postby Grizwald » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:45 pm

Thanks for the information. I will be traveling with my wife who is a great supporter of my various hobbies but does demand a certain level of comfort in exchange for that support. Sleeping in the back of my pickup would not endear me in her eyes. Despite being at this for quite a while I still suck so foiling is out for now although I have hopes that if I ever get enough unbroken time on the water I may still achieve that goal. I could die first which is equally possible but I am trying to remain positive. In general my low end wind requirement to maintain is 12 mph below that it has to be a downwinder.
Thanks FlandOBX for the suggestions re condos. I will check out their prices.

Grizwald
Medium Poster

Postby Grizwald » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm

If I lower my standards and stay inland, how tough is it to find public areas to launch?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:24 am

Grizwald wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm
If I lower my standards and stay inland, how tough is it to find public areas to launch?
Very easy. Public launches are accessible all over Hatteras Island, which includes a lot of easy to reach National Seashore (both ocean and sound side). You can't kite in the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge (the northernmost undeveloped 15-20 miles of the island), and you can't launch at Real Kiteboarding unless you're taking a lesson or staying in their rental housing, and you can't launch from private homes without permission, but virtually everywhere else is fair game. There are many "turn-offs" along Hwy. 12 that access the sound and are good spots to kite. There are popular spots that draw a lot of kiters (Kite Point, the Washout, Kitty Hawk Kites (open to the kiting public), Salvo Day Use Area). The nice thing about Hatteras Island is that there are suitable riding locations for almost every wind direction.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:47 am

That's the beauty of Hatteras. Even if we have a house on the beach or sound (spring and fall trips with the gang and summer trip with family), we end up kiting at the house perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 of the time. The rest we launch somewhere else because the wind direction is not good for the house, and when I go solo and sleep in my van in a NPS campground, I launch at public sites all the time. And if your wife is that supportive, you can do wonderful downwinders on the sound or beach and have her pick you up at the end. Downwinders on the sound like this are a little tricky as you can't easily get out and she can't easily pick you up except at the final designated stopping point, but oceanside she can stop various points along the way and monitor you as you go along, hence can pick you up if you decide to bail. Makes it a lot more convenient if riding alone (I used to hitchhike back when solo, which would be hard with Covid-19). And if you get to your designated stopping point and are simply having too much fun, you can negotiate a further downwind stretch. On the ocean, North and NE winds are wonderful all the way from Rodanthe to Buxton, while SW works from Hatteras to Frisco or along Ocracoke. Easterlies work from Frisco to Hatteras. There are more adventurous downwinders, but only if you really feel capable.

Grizwald
Medium Poster

Postby Grizwald » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I will probably go for the inland option as I checked out KHK and Real and my credit card started to scream. It settled down to just whimpering softly when I looked inland.

SoaringVA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Point Comfort, Buckroe, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Real Watersports, Salvo, Avon
Style: Freeride beginner
Gear: Slingshot Rally 11m
Been thanked: 0

Postby SoaringVA » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm heading to Hatteras this weekend and Tuesday could be a good NE day. I'm looking for beginner (can ride upwind) launches and noticed Sandy Bay Day Use Area. Does anyone kite there? We're staying in Salvo, but it seemed like Salvo Day use might be too offshore in a 20mph NE wind for a beginner. Any advice?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:57 pm

SoaringVA wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 pm
I'm heading to Hatteras this weekend and Tuesday could be a good NE day. I'm looking for beginner (can ride upwind) launches and noticed Sandy Bay Day Use Area. Does anyone kite there? We're staying in Salvo, but it seemed like Salvo Day use might be too offshore in a 20mph NE wind for a beginner. Any advice?
Yes, "Sandy Bay" is good on NE. (Salvo Day Use is not.) Locals call this area "the washout" or "Isabel's". It's the best launch for soundside riding on NE wind. Park in the paved lot and follow the path at the far (west) end of the parking lot down to a small beach. Most people rig and launch here. The water depth can be very shallow, so be careful. The beach is small and can get crowded on a good NE wind. It's fine for beginners.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
SoaringVA (Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”