Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best jump machine (board) for big air?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best jump machine (board) for big air?

Postby Flyingseb » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:15 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Get a Ten Kiteboarding 'The Mark'. The extra heelside fin makes all the difference in controlling the power. Easy. Topic done.

https://ten-kiteboarding.com/the-mark/

However - you might get bigger gains by getting an advanced lesson or two? Boards make a difference but skill makes a bigger difference
Thanks for the tip :wink:

Fact is, my actual board is a Mako 150X33, more than 10 years old. Far from the ultimate jump board, I swear.
As for lessons, I’ve came across a lot of articles and vids on how to do it right.
All what I want, is still to improve and to set new personal records. Even after 20 years of experience I feel that I can make better. I may have to learn again some skills, true, but I want to make sure to use the proper (kind of) board.
Having no experience with éther recent boards, this is the reason of my enquiry :)

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:38 pm

I'd imagine going from a Mako to any modern TT board will instantly sort out getting you bigger air. I know some like Makos but having demo'ed one once I can't imagine it being much good for big air - I found it unwieldy and with a complete lack of any useful flex, for general all round riding, air etc I found it a most unpleasant ride.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Flyingseb (Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 pm

The Mako is a nice board for a smooth ride it's hard to beat but it's probably the worst board ever for jumping the rounded shape makes it really hard to hold an edge for popping before your jump. Personally I haven't found a better board than the Axis Limited but there's lots of good boards out there.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Flyingseb (Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:48 pm

This is somewhat subjective, so you'll get a lot of different responses depending on people's preferences. Mackite did a decent video on it as well. https://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/th ... d-big-air/

For me it's:
1. Big fins
2. Medium rocker
3. Straightish outline
4. Little channeling for extra grip

At KOTA, riders used different board styles, so really it'll come down to preference in the conditions. For instance, Jesse won KOTA on a freestyle oriented Focus, which I couldn't ride it for more than 30min in small chop before my knees gave out. The purpose built big air Atmos, which Nick and Marc used, my knees lasted until I came in on the same day.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 2):
Flyingseb (Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:46 am) • Gestalt (Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 am

I am not a big air seeker but I do enjoy boosting off ramps for a nice floaty jump. Here a board that release well makes a significant difference particularly if you are used to Makos.

I think Blackened is on the money with big air board requirements.

If you are trying to beat your personal record you probably need to aim to build up as much line tension as possible prior to the send. Thus the board shape and size with which you can hold the edge fastest and longest will probably get you highest providing it releases well, and I would expect the type of board described by Blackened to release well. I think it also means that you will not be carving so far into wind for a stomp because line tension and the kite will be doing the work.

This is just my personal hypothesis. All my boards are old like me so I am not current on boards. I would be happy with happy with something like a Monk or Shotgun but that is a complete guess on my part.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 am

As a few have inferred, fin size is as big a factor as anything, in that holding an edge at speed is the big factor in preparing for a decent jump. This is a bit of a balancing act as too big a fin then makes other aspects of riding less fun.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Flyingseb (Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm)

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:34 am

Tanks all, I got now a better idea of how look good jumping boards. Surely they are mostly TT, but I can see that they do get refined hull for better grip too,apart from classical outline.
Time to choose now 🙂

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Somehow people are forgetting that riding in boots does not require fins..

And they usually boost higher :) By stomping the board harder. There is no huge jump on flat water if not doing that. Period. Sorry, but this is the only way. One can hold the edge like crazy tho, and jump just average.

Ah, well, Ive tried ;)
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
pj sofine (Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:07 pm)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:02 am

Most people don't ride boots. I don't know many riders who wear boots for big air riding either. There are still a couple holdouts in KOTA, but most people swapped to straps. It's also pretty tough to launch without fins in chop, regardless of whether you're in boots or straps.

There are a ton of big air boards around, Flyingseb. To give you a starting point on some of the popular brands (this is not an exhaustive list, just the first few companies off the top of my head):
Duotone - Jaime == ridden by most of the Duotone riders in KOTA (others used the TS) (Lasse was on a 139x42 and I think Reno was on a 136)
North - Atmos == ridden by Marc and Nick (138x41 for both Marc and Nick)
Cabrinha - Ace == ridden by Nick when he was at Cabrinha
Naish - Monarch == ridden by RDP, Ewan, & Kevin (when he was at Naish on a 134cm)
Crazyfly - Raptor Extreme == ridden by Posito

Sizing is obviously dependent on weight, but depending on conditions you may want to consider length to help plant in heavy chop. If you're riding in bigger winds with a bigger kite, width isn't as important so you can go with a slightly narrower board. If the board isn't just for big air, size it for normal riding and disregard this paragraph.

Good luck with your search. If you want more help, just PM me.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Flyingseb (Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:04 pm)

madis_and_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Estonia, Vääna-Jõesuu
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin beach, SA
Style: Bigair/kiteloops
Gear: Eleveight RS7-8-10-12, RS+14, OS10, WS5, Commander AG Pro 134cm, Escape 5'2
Brand Affiliation: Co-Owner of No Work Surf Club and Surfikaubamaja

Postby madis_and_kite » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:58 am

I can suggest Eleveight Commander board. Freestyle dedicated board what holds the edge like an anchor. Choice of our bigair team.

It holds the edge so well that with moderate winds you have to learn not to edge too much because you are able to kill the power in the kite way too easily.
So in stormy conditions- mint!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”