Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Summer vs winter wetsuit sizing

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:35 pm

I am in the market for a new 3/2 wetsuit. I have always used the same size regardless of thickness of the wetsuit and LT is usually a very good fit for a 5/3 wetsuit for me. For my 3/2 it has always felt right when dry but it stretches so much when i surf that I now consider buying one size smaller. I get water in just about everywhere.

A question to the forum: You who have both winter and summer wetsuits with different thickness, do you size down for the thinner wetsuit?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Re: Summer vs winter wetsuit sizing

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Never heard of anyone sizing down for different season suits. I use a Neil Pryde Edge 5/4mm winter suit in the UK. In summer I use a 5/4mm but cut off the legs at the knees, cut with sharpe scissors and dab a bit of glue or silicone sealent on the stitching. If you're in Sweden I would get a winter suit and cut off the arms or legs to suit.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
Kiteus Polaris (Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:33 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:35 pm
I am in the market for a new 3/2 wetsuit. I have always used the same size regardless of thickness of the wetsuit and LT is usually a very good fit for a 5/3 wetsuit for me. For my 3/2 it has always felt right when dry but it stretches so much when i surf that I now consider buying one size smaller. I get water in just about everywhere.

A question to the forum: You who have both winter and summer wetsuits with different thickness, do you size down for the thinner wetsuit?
No.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:24 pm

I sized up on my 6/4 front zip but probably could have stayed with my usual size that I wear with 3/2 and 4/3 suits. It was just so much easier to get in/out of.
Last edited by jmach on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jmach for the post:

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Firewire, SS, Lift, Gin, Kitech, Switch

Postby geokite » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:

Yes. Coming from a 3/2 Hyperfreak, I went looking for my first 4/3. Couldn't for the life of me fit into the same size as my 3/2, I had to size up. Regardless of brand.

Aside: Amazing how much more comfortable wetsuits are nowdays compared to 30 years ago.
These users thanked the author geokite for the post:

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
For my 3/2 it has always felt right when dry but it stretches so much when i surf that I now consider buying one size smaller. I get water in just about everywhere.
You should not be down sizing! However, not all brands are equal, so one company's size Medium can equal another company's Small-Tall. Also some types of neoprene can stretch more than others (even within the same brand) and all neoprene will loosen up a bit when wet, so that could be what you're experiencing.
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
Kiteus Polaris (Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:32 pm)

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 pm

I had O'Neill Epic 4/3 in 3XL (needed to buy it from the US...) and 3/2 in 2XL and they approx. sized the same
Now have Hyperfreak in 4/3 an 3/2 and they feel the same in 2XL

Couldn't get into the Mystic Majestic 4/3 in 2XL but have another Mystic shorty that is too big in 2XL...

Best thing is to try or rely on the possibility to return it.
These users thanked the author Frankieboy for the post:
Kiteus Polaris (Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:32 pm)

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Thanks for the input guys!
At 6’4 87kg I always buy size LT. The brand that seems to fit among the best over the years is Oneill. However, having both a 5/3 and 3/2 Oneill, now both falling to pieces, I am looking at a size MT replacement of the 3/2 since it expands too much when wet. The MT is only 1 inch shorter vs LT in Oneill sizes looking at their chart. (I have never seen so little difference for any other brand.) That is why I thought it could work well, mostly being different in width.

sewerrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north of santa cruz

Postby sewerrat » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:17 am

I definitely notice that my harness shrinks a size over the winter as it's always a bit tight at the start of the season... :lol:
Oneill suits (especially the high end ones) stretch like mad. I wear a L in most brands, but after about 5 surfs in a 4/3 Pyscho, it's too big. The M is too small to be comfortable at first try, but then fits after a few uses. So the thinner the neoprene, the more easily it will stretch. Problem is, it will not be as warm once stretched out, and it will wear out much quicker. I now wear less stretchy, limestone based Japanese neoprene (Matuse) and get the right size. If you're stuck in the middle of a brands sizing, best to find another brand with a fit tailored for you.
These users thanked the author sewerrat for the post:
Kiteus Polaris (Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:30 am)

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:30 am

sewerrat wrote: I definitely notice that my harness shrinks a size over the winter as it's always a bit tight at the start of the season... :lol:
Oneill suits (especially the high end ones) stretch like mad. I wear a L in most brands, but after about 5 surfs in a 4/3 Pyscho, it's too big. The M is too small to be comfortable at first try, but then fits after a few uses. So the thinner the neoprene, the more easily it will stretch. Problem is, it will not be as warm once stretched out, and it will wear out much quicker. I now wear less stretchy, limestone based Japanese neoprene (Matuse) and get the right size. If you're stuck in the middle of a brands sizing, best to find another brand with a fit tailored for you.
Yes I can for sure relate to the harness issue :)
I have landed in the conclusion that if I go for superstretchy Oneill Technobutter 3 etc etc I will go for a MT in 3/2 but if I decide to have a much less stretchy (might be the best solution) I may stick to LT as usual. I had a Xcel Comp, medium stretchy, in LT but had to sell it after trying it in the water. Far to much water coming in. (And not out again...) With my thicker wetsuits LT is very good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”