Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone 2021

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7805° N, 0.8959° W (UK South Coast)
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula
Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5
Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone 2021

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:49 am
Any info on twintip straps? Any updates there?
I was told that the current backstock of straps will be shifted before anything will be announced - makes sense, of course.

kesc
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Barletta
Style: Bi Air
Gear: Duotone Dice 13, 10, 8m
Duotone Jaime Textreme 139/42
Duotone Pro Wam
Brand Affiliation: Duotone/ION
Has thanked: 0

Postby kesc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am

Neo and Evo 2020 will be carry-over models also for 2021, no change in the design and colors,
just add two new colors for Evo and one color (purple) for Neo.. new colors will be made in the new lighter material (higher price list)

Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am

Tested the Rebel 2019 the other day for the first time. Holy what a kite. That will definitely be on my list when the time comes to replace my current set of kites (the Rebel that is - not necessarily the 2019 version). Not a huge fan of the bar though (I hate the click bar, but obviously you got other options so the click wasn't the problem). A lot lighter than my Ozone, but didn't really feel it that much, if at all, when I was on the water (helps when travelling with less weight though). The problem for me was how it slides worse than my Ozone. Not a big issue, and I would probably get used to it, but I was a bit surprised with that part of the feel.

One question to Duotone users. Again not a big issue, but is it normal for these kites to not really deflate properly when opening the valve(s)? I remember many years ago when I had to "roll" the air out of the kite, but that is never an issue with my Ozones. Boom and the air is gone. That didn't happen with this so I had to carefully roll the kite towards the dump valve.

Not a huge fan of the Duotone graphics (who cares), but the 2020 grey looks really nice (would have been spectacular with less messy graphics). Hope that stays as a colour option if I end up buying 2021 Rebel.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Any news about TT range? Changes to Jaime?
I guess dice will be mostly the same with addition of a lighter verision ?

Sun
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m, 10m, 8m Dice (2018)
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
Naish Stomp 142
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil Board
Zeeko Blaster, Spitfire (Normal & XLW)

Postby Sun » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am
One question to Duotone users. Again not a big issue, but is it normal for these kites to not really deflate properly when opening the valve(s)? I remember many years ago when I had to "roll" the air out of the kite, but that is never an issue with my Ozones. Boom and the air is gone. That didn't happen with this so I had to carefully roll the kite towards the dump valve.
Yes, that is normal. The valve has an internal plastic flap that opens when you twist the valve, but the pathway is not as free flowing as an open Boston style screw valve. I hate that you need a pump adapter and that the deflate is slower, but otherwise I have had zero issues with the Duotone valves. Sand can sometimes chew up the otherwise fabulous Boston valves. Always trade offs I guess.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
Havre (Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 am

Havre wrote:
Tested the Rebel 2019 the other day for the first time. Holy what a kite. That will definitely be on my list when the time comes to replace my current set of kites (the Rebel that is - not necessarily the 2019 version). Not a huge fan of the bar though (I hate the click bar, but obviously you got other options so the click wasn't the problem). A lot lighter than my Ozone, but didn't really feel it that much, if at all, when I was on the water (helps when travelling with less weight though). The problem for me was how it slides worse than my Ozone. Not a big issue, and I would probably get used to it, but I was a bit surprised with that part of the feel.

Not a huge fan of the Duotone graphics (who cares), but the 2020 grey looks really nice (would have been spectacular with less messy graphics). Hope that stays as a colour option if I end up buying 2021 Rebel.
The 2020 Rebel was changed a bit over the 2019, supposedly with new materials. I can say it flies different than the 2019 and to me it's better. It has better low end (~1kn) and the hangtime is extended by about 10-15%. Still super easy to jump, same barfeel, maybe turns slightly quicker. The one downside is that it lost some high end (~2kn).

A mate of mine always pulls the wingtip dump valve, then rolls from the opposite end to the centre to do the normal 50/50 roll. Be careful with fine sand as it likes to lodge in the main valve and cause air to leak. You can usually just blow it out with your pump though.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Havre (Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am)

NorwayIsCold
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sola beach, Stavanger, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Jeri
Style: Freestyle, getting into wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2015 - 11m
North Dice 2014 - 8m
North Dice 2018 - 12m, 9m
North Click bar
Slingshot Widowmaker 2015
Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit

Postby NorwayIsCold » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 am

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am
NorwayIsCold wrote:
I was told that the current backstock of straps will be shifted before anything will be announced - makes sense, of course.
Shifted? You mean sold? So no updates this year then? New twintips are coming this fall if I am not mistaken

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 am

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 am
iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am
NorwayIsCold wrote:
Shifted? You mean sold? So no updates this year then? New twintips are coming this fall if I am not mistaken
Seems the yare as there are already pics of them in this topic.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Blackened wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 am
Havre wrote:

The 2020 Rebel was changed a bit over the 2019, supposedly with new materials. I can say it flies different than the 2019 and to me it's better. It has better low end (~1kn) and the hangtime is extended by about 10-15%. Still super easy to jump, same barfeel, maybe turns slightly quicker. The one downside is that it lost some high end (~2kn).

A mate of mine always pulls the wingtip dump valve, then rolls from the opposite end to the centre to do the normal 50/50 roll. Be careful with fine sand as it likes to lodge in the main valve and cause air to leak. You can usually just blow it out with your pump though.

If the valve leaks, the trick is to take a stick and with the kite inflated, poke the valve. This will clear any debris that gets caught between the valve flap and the hard plastic.

The guys at exotikite in Mexico showed me that trick.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Blackened (Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 am)

kesc
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Barletta
Style: Bi Air
Gear: Duotone Dice 13, 10, 8m
Duotone Jaime Textreme 139/42
Duotone Pro Wam
Brand Affiliation: Duotone/ION
Has thanked: 0

Postby kesc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm

wrogu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Any news about TT range? Changes to Jaime?
I guess dice will be mostly the same with addition of a lighter verision ?
only Jaime will change and all surf line with new material

Return to “Kitesurfing”