Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: New Wave Kite

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Interesting how regionalized kite choices are. I am obviously not paying enough attention and have become disconnected from the mainstream ... I've never heard of a Naish Boxer. :wink:

Where I live, Ocean Rodeo dominates, as their HQ is just down the road. The Roam is solid wave kite. I hear the edition is improved, lighter, and the alulu version will be best in show if you have $$$$ to throw at the problem. Some locals love their North/Duotone Neos.

Personally, I believe the evolution and refinement of gear over the past 5-6 years means that every major brand's wave kite is pretty much equivalent. One may do something a little better, and another something else -- but it doesn't seem like there's any obvious dogs out there that just don't work. Post-2010, seems the kite industry has normalized/stabilized ... and the annual new product release tends to be new graphics and such minor refinements that the average rider won't even notice (call me cynical).

Most brand line-ups now tend to include kites that are wave focused and ones that more freeride focused, primarily that jump better. For OR, that's the Roam and Prodigy, which one is better for you depends how you want to ride, eg if you like to twintip boost sometimes too, then a more middle freeride option may be preferable.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 pm

On off power is great for wave riding, but on a hydrofoil it's not. You want progressive power as you sheet in and out, not jerky on- off. So it's a compromise.
It works for a lot of people.
I've used 5 strut, 3 strut and one strut kites on a hydrofoil, so speaking from my experience.
When I transitioned to foil kites, ozone hyperlink, I realized what I missing, but they won't work well at all as a waveboard, wave kite.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Onda » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:42 pm
Interesting how regionalized kite choices are.
Where I live, Ocean Rodeo dominates, as their HQ is just down the road. The Roam is solid wave kite. I hear the edition is improved, lighter, and the alulu version will be best in show if you have $$$$ to throw at the problem. Some locals love their North/Duotone Neos.
Personally, I believe the evolution and refinement of gear over the past 5-6 years means that every major brand's wave kite is pretty much equivalent. One may do something a little better, and another something else -- but it doesn't seem like there's any obvious dogs out there that just don't work. Post-2010, seems the kite industry has normalized/stabilized ... and the annual new product release tends to be new graphics and such minor refinements that the average rider won't even notice (call me cynical).
You´re right!
It depends on personal taste more than on getting the latest shit anyway.
Any wave kite is good, but the characters are very different. I´ve tested a lot of them and still do, and I´m surprised again and again how different each model is. Even within a single model range, the different sizes are very different in power development, peak power, grunt etc. That´s why my range consists of different models for each size (5 SST / 6 Religion / 7 Section / 8 Boxer / 10 Boxer). This is how I like it... currently :D Couldn´t imagine to ride a whole range of whatever model.
Just very recently I discovered that I love the Core Section1 in 7 m². Very little grunt, super nimble, endless highend. I might sell the 6 m² now...

Return to “Kitesurfing”