Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Want to see what's inside of woo3?

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Want to see what's inside of woo3?

Postby kjorn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:34 pm

They still get green crystal gunk on the terminals. That ain't good news.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm

All respect to Woo for making this product. I work in product design at Sony, and can attest how difficult it is to make a product water tight. Thing is 3 bar is probably not enough for margin of error and subsequent user wear and tear.
Potting electronics in epoxy or polyurethane is possible, it's used in the automotive industry. But it has challenges with heat insulation, lack of space for battery swelling during charging and recycling. Not to mention cost. Margins are small believe it or not.
Wireless charging is expensive and takes a lot of space.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Kitemenn (Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Just to clarify, there were no cracks, (woo support thought these are cracks) or any other external damage. They are some kind of seams what might be caused when the plastic is molded https://i.imgur.com/1PGGgWV.png
And there is still a seal between those marks and electronics.
The seal is super thin, I guess it starts to leak if it is affected to water for a long time.
I love to use woo (as long as it works), so I ordered new woo! But I don't trust its water tightness. I will put some extra glue around the seams on the bottom to make it last longer this time.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:19 pm

I just opened the older woo which I have, which worked 50% of time. Micro switch (of the woo button) circuit board was corroded. The button area is very thin rubber, and it it leaked water inside. There wasn't any hit from outside, the rubber just gets old and cracks. I bet it doesn't like salty water affect inside of the leaking board casing.

I am waiting for the new unit which I ordered a month ago and I'm thinking how to coat it to prevent water getting in. a condom? :D
Something what would fit in the casing. Maybe some kind of water proof vinyl tape would do the job

Return to “Kitesurfing”