Converting 2017 Cabrinha chicken loop to rope slider

Forum for kitesurfers
zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"
Brand Affiliation: None

Converting 2017 Cabrinha chicken loop to rope slider

Postby zlatko23 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:04 am

I am looking for an option to convert my 2017 Cabrinha bar chicken loop to a rope slider. Does anybody know if any of the market available rope slider kits will fit? LiquidForce Wave Riding MC Loop click-in end is too big and can not be inserted into the lock mechanism of the Cabrinha QR. Judging from pictures Duotone rope slider is also having a bigger click-in part than Cabrinha's. I am looking for a readily available retrofit kits, that will need no major changes in order to fit. Any ideas?

Jeremey76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: katwijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: katwijk aan Zee Dolphins beach Hermanus
Style: free ride big air
Gear: North Atmos hybrid 2023 North orbit 2023 8-9-12. Flysurfer soul2 18

Re: Converting 2017 Cabrinha chicken loop to rope slider

Postby Jeremey76 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:46 am

well my first idea is that cabrinha does not make a retrofit kit from quickloop too the smartloop system but maybe the spmartloop can be placed on the quickloop system looks very similar if you look where the swivel is . seccond go the custom route i know evan from infexion is a wizzard at making something custom or just spend the money and buy the 2020 cab bar
These users thanked the author Jeremey76 for the post:
zlatko23 (Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:03 am

Hi, I use this stuff...its tubing for a central heating system. It won't last forever, but it's very cheap. It should fit on just about any CL, you can bend it to its desired shape. If your CL is very thin, you could tape it shut to avoid sand getting in there....hard to say whether that's necessary or not.

It worked for me...just switched to a bar with a slider CL, small with steel...feels the same, but probably won't ever need replacing.
Attachments
20200620_115743.jpg
Flexible hot water tubing
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
zlatko23 (Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:27 am)

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 am

@Jeremey76 - I think you point me to the right idea! :) Really looks like new smart loop and old quick loop QR are attached to the central tubing via the same spinning handle. It is quite possible these are interchangeable. Unfortunately Cabrinha does not provide any info in that respect. I checked the tech/support videos they post on Youtube and there is the same question being asked in the comments, but not answered by Cabrinha. I guess I will have to figure it out.
@or6 - I am already using Wichard low friction ring on my harness rope and Cabrinha chicken loop fits perfectly there so makes no sense to protect the CL any further. I am looking to use a simpler slider thus getting rid of the LF ring and getting few centimetres of depower throw :) Thanks anyway!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:24 pm

zlatko23 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:04 am
I am looking for an option to convert my 2017 Cabrinha bar chicken loop to a rope slider. Does anybody know if any of the market available rope slider kits will fit? LiquidForce Wave Riding MC Loop click-in end is too big and can not be inserted into the lock mechanism of the Cabrinha QR. Judging from pictures Duotone rope slider is also having a bigger click-in part than Cabrinha's. I am looking for a readily available retrofit kits, that will need no major changes in order to fit. Any ideas?
You need a custom chicken loop, as mentioned Evan at Infexion might be able to help.You might be able to buy the new Cab system and retro fit to your bar but likely expensive.
Or, buy a QR that has the small surf loop like Duotone and adapt to your bar, again likely not cheap.
Having the bar very close when fully sheeted in is not always a good or comfortable thing so be aware of that too.
These users thanked the author alford for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 pm)

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:31 pm

One more idea. Buy a Cabrinha fireball QR, they can be had for $20 on closeout. The Fireball had two pieces, ditch the bottom section that attaches to the special Cab spreader bar. Use the top piece to hook into a SS ring on your slider rope. You'll be a good 3-4" closer. The Fireball will retrofit perfectly with your existing bar.
These users thanked the author alford for the post (total 2):
Jeremey76 (Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:33 am) • Delta99 (Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”