Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inguinal Hernia - to kite or not to kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Inguinal Hernia - to kite or not to kite?

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't think I've ever jumped 20 meters, at the most 10-15, which for me was high enough. And I don't do any freestyle. Right now we are in our "off season" here in Florida. Just the usual sea breezes 10 knots, unless we get a tropical system. Most of my riding will be cruising on my 21m Speed 5 on a TT (I don't hydrofoil yet), just to get me through the doldrums.

Thanks!
Mine sounds exactly the same & I have had it for over 10yrs & has never really bothered me, except as mentioned, every now & again I push it back in. I usually jump in the 12-18m range, do some old school stuff, waveriding & hydrofoil & do core stability almost every day. I would only have surgery when necessary & certainly not for that.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:28 pm

I got mine at the gym, squatting too much weight. Had it repaired, open surgery, I could feel something not right with the repair after I got out of bed on the 3rd day, heard a noise like a postage stamp being torn off a sheet.

From then on for the next two years, whenever I walked or cycled it felt like I was being poked in the groin, below the incision scar. Eventually that feeling faded away. I still get a mild protrusion when I bear down, squatting or lifting. Consultant reckons I probably partially tore my mesh where the two layers are joined together. Shit happens, I don't do max squats anymore. But other than that i get no bother from it.
These users thanked the author sq225917 for the post:
JakeFarley (Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:15 am

I had a double, probably due to kiting & due to SUPing a lot. Probably I'm also just predisposed to getting them. My surgeon was a kiter, which was really cool. He told me that after 2 weeks the patch is solid & I can do anything. Like an idiot, I went out kiting after about 3 weeks. It hurt like hell, and continued to hurt for awhile after that.

My advice is, just wait. There's no hurry. Take at least 4 weeks off then start doing some other sport to get back in shape - swimming, running, surfing, paddling are all great sports. Don't get back into it too soon. I did & while I'm not sure there were ill effects, I wished I would have waited 4-6 weeks. I was stupid about it.
These users thanked the author John Doe for the post:
JakeFarley (Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:27 pm)

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

mhansman
Rare Poster
Gear: caution
Thanks
by mhansman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 pm

I fix hernias and I kitesurf. For now, until you have surgery, there are no restrictions. Do whatever you want. Very, very, very low risk of something getting stuck in the hernia and causing an emergency.

Quickest recovery and least pain if you have your hernia fixed laparoscopically (with camera/small incisions). I use the surgical robot for this. I tell people 2 weeks of no running/swimming/biking. 4 weeks of no heavy lifting/straining. Kiting would be 4 weeks.

You have the advice of a surgeon and kiter (see above), what more do you want?
These users thanked the author tkachuk for the post (total 3):
SENDIT! (Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 am) • mhansman (Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:07 am) • JakeFarley (Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:26 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:34 am

I wouldn’t delay as mine only got worse with time, and the cost to fix it usually goes up with time. I’ve got an uncle that had one that got strangulated an required emergency surgery. It was an easy surgery, go to sleep, wake up an hour later, leave, and only felt out of it and weak for a day.

Don’t over think it and the sooner you fix it the sooner you will be back on the water.
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
JakeFarley (Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:26 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”