Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to survive a 5th line wrap in the middle and death loop?

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to survive a 5th line wrap in the middle and death loop?

Postby TheJoe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:19 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:16 am
TheJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:46 am
kitelife wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 am

Just turn the swivel to untwist.
Did not work to untwist the flag out line. I tried it but it was not doing anything. Could have been something wrong with bar I don't know.
Not sure what you did but this should not even be possible.
The one thing that is actually great about the core bars is the auto-untwist (not a fan of the high Y or the turn release of the 2 model):
When you loop the kite the twisting of the centre lines should happen below the bar and you just pull in the bar to untwist it auto-magically.
Its really quite awesome and since I loop the kite quite often I really would not want to live with a manual untwist ever again.

However, if you setup the kite lines without untwisting the centrelines it will stay twisted in that position forever.
So when you roll out the lines you must untwist the centre lines as well.
Ok that might be what happened then. It was a demo and I did not set up the lines. I did not like the fact I could not fix while riding and it was because of the auto un-twist.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to survive a 5th line wrap in the middle and death loop?

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 pm

For me the first thing to do is decide where you are drifting. If you are drifting towards safety just be patient and drift. You have some control of direction by manipulating the rear leaders.

If you decide that you have to go for a fix go down one line as described by Toby. Disconnect the nose line, cut if necessary, tie stopper knot to retain 5th or reconnect if possible to ride back on 4 or 5 lines. Note: no point in releasing or cutting 5th at bar if there is a stopper at the Y for loaded 5th.

Biggest danger of going for a fix is Entanglement só check your knife before you start and be prepared to cut all flying line away if it goes Pete Tong!'

PS If you have to fix maybe you are riding in the wrong location for that wind direction.

Imho the so called self rescue technique is rarely the best solution if there is wind and it ought to be referred to as a water pack down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”