Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which is the best upwind bodydrag technique to recover the board?

Forum for kitesurfers
Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

which is the best upwind bodydrag technique to recover the board?

Postby Archer77 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Hey all!

you have some hints on the argument?

some times I can't reach the board most of all because I lose it in the chop

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: which is the best upwind bodydrag technique to recover the board?

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:51 pm

You dont have to be able to go upwind body dragging.. just go downwind slower that your board!

Shorter zig zags in line to where you think your board is.

Bury your whole body/ head with arm outstretched and kite super low to the water.

You will get to a stage where u hardly ever need to do this..

In waves while doing this dont turn around to look for your board straight away.. it likes to punch u in the face sometimes to remind you, you are alive Lol

Good luck, sharky spots get you better very quickly, I have ridden where someone got recently eaten and reckon I broke the world body dragging speed record! Maybe going fast is worse :-0
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
Archer77 (Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Why would you do shorter? I can see the point in terms of not losing sight of the board, but wouldn't you lose some height every time you turn?

I agree completely on the bury your body. And stretch. I tend to swim when I am just there, but I'm honestly wondering if that is counter-productive - and that staying low and outstretched is better (just can't help myself when I am just within reach :D ).

As for kite position I have often wondered about this. Would that be the case riding upwind as well? I still haven't figured out the perfect position if you want to go as much upwind as possible (going upwind is not an issue - just if I'm trying to see how far upwind I can go in shortest possible time). Obviously riding speed comes into it as well so I'm not sure if there is a single answer to it, but knowing there is a lot of people on here that know a lot more about this I thought I would ask. There might be a "physics" explanation to it (I'm sure there is).
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Archer77 (Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:11 pm)

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm

what helped me- when you fall- do not look for the board by turning back. Just keep body drag in the same direction as fall for 10 seconds, then turn another direction. Normaly you should see your board now or do more zig zag. Or if it just rough chop- get GoJoe.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post (total 3):
Archer77 (Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:11 pm) • andrzej351 (Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 am) • MehYam (Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:11 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Why would you do shorter? I can see the point in terms of not losing sight of the board, but wouldn't you lose some height every time you turn?

I agree completely on the bury your body. And stretch. I tend to swim when I am just there, but I'm honestly wondering if that is counter-productive - and that staying low and outstretched is better (just can't help myself when I am just within reach :D ).

As for kite position I have often wondered about this. Would that be the case riding upwind as well? I still haven't figured out the perfect position if you want to go as much upwind as possible (going upwind is not an issue - just if I'm trying to see how far upwind I can go in shortest possible time). Obviously riding speed comes into it as well so I'm not sure if there is a single answer to it, but knowing there is a lot of people on here that know a lot more about this I thought I would ask. There might be a "physics" explanation to it (I'm sure there is).
You are right, but the amount of times I go looking for / rescuing boards while people are body dragging no where near them.. I see this a lot... so I think focus on knowing where it is first then go for bigger 'tacks' when u know/ see it.

Good point.. a side arm swim can help.. especially when light.

Upwind bodydragging has always a dumb term used in teaching ( iko coined it I think, lol!)kiteboarding.. kind of sets up beginners to fail as it sounds so difficult.. but like I said you just need to go downwind slower than your board.

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm

tomato wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm
...Just keep body drag in the same direction as fall for 10 seconds, then turn another direction.
I do this, count 10 seconds, turn, count 10 seconds back. You should be upwind of the board by then and should see it.
These users thanked the author PeaBody for the post:
Archer77 (Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:32 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm

I go towards a different option.

1. Look back after you fall straight away to fix your board position. For me I have a general idea of how far/which direction I have been dragged by the loop of the kite so its easier to spot now rather than later. This works for me even with my hydrofoil which barely floats above the surface of the water (the top of the footstrap is the only bit above the water - I need to get non black straps)
2. Start bodydragging whichever side the kite is. If you flip over a little more onto your back you can maintain a link to where your board is by twisting your head to look behind you a bit.
3. After a while turn around and head back towards your board.

The only time this will fail is if the tide/current is pulling the board away faster than you can body drag. In which case, wear boots.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 2):
Archer77 (Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:30 pm) • jumptheshark (Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:08 am)
Rating: 6.06%

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

I agree with Nothing2seehere. It's far better, if possibile, to immediately spot your board and go on looking back at it now and then while you're body dragging upwind. Much easier to find it than body dragging first and trying to find the board later.
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:
Archer77 (Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:30 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:07 pm

PeaBody wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm
tomato wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm
...Just keep body drag in the same direction as fall for 10 seconds, then turn another direction.
I do this, count 10 seconds, turn, count 10 seconds back. You should be upwind of the board by then and should see it.
Yes !!! After having lost my board in the swell, I do the same to keep a mental reference of where should my board be. I just decided to add a trick : i count from 1 to 10, then turn, then from 10 to 0. Then 0 to 10 (without turning), Then turn (or not) and count again 10 to 0.

Hence no need to remember your direction vs the board and you feel like " big brother" when you reach your board exactly to "zero !!!"
Ps: with this methode, you cn count whatever number , 10 or 20, without remember it...

When very light , i swimm directly upwind.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Stretched out like an arrow, as much surface area in water as possible, dont point up wind too high. I'm usually in light winds so keeping the kite higher is safer. If my foilboards ~5ft behind me I'll sometimes just keep the kite high and swim.
These users thanked the author Whattheflock for the post:
Archer77 (Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:30 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”