Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Footstrap inserts rotating - Help needed!

Forum for kitesurfers
dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Footstrap inserts rotating - Help needed!

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:11 am

I'm looking for help to remove/ replace my very old footstraps from my board.

When I try to unscrew the footstrap screws from my board the screw head rotates, but the screw doesn't come out.
I'm 99% sure that the screw is ceased into the board screw insert, and the screw inserts are rotating inside the board.

Any ideas as to how to remove them without damaging the board would be appreciated!

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Re: Footstrap inserts rotating - Help needed!

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am

If they are rotating then you are going to have to do a repair anyway. Or, are we talking about a twin tip with thin metal inserts or a surfboard with deeper plastic inserts?

Peter

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am
If they are rotating then you are going to have to do a repair anyway. Or, are we talking about a twin tip with thin metal inserts or a surfboard with deeper plastic inserts?

Peter
The board is an old Naish twintip, which I assume has thin metal inserts. The inserts are holding up fine and doesn't affect the use of the board. If the footstraps weren't so old and worn then I wouldnt have an issue.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm

take it to a decent Cycle shop, they can screw an "easy out screw extractor" into the bolt and remove it (assuming the insert is not moving). If it's the insert thats moving then the board is knackered and not worth repairing, although you can reset new inserts using epoxy, but it's probably not worth it on an old board.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:55 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm
take it to a decent Cycle shop, they can screw an "easy out screw extractor" into the bolt and remove it (assuming the insert is not moving). If it's the insert thats moving then the board is knackered and not worth repairing, although you can reset new inserts using epoxy, but it's probably not worth it on an old board.
I'm 99% sure it's the insert that's moving.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm
I wouldn't explicitly say the board "isn't worth repairing" - This could be a great opportunity for the OP to gain some experience repairing a board for the first time.

I would argue, there's lots of lessons to be learned by taking on this little project. Materials should be relatively cheap to acquire and there's lots of resources on how to use epoxy. Furthermore, the age of the board means there's less to lose if the repair doesn't go as planned.

I say, try the repair! Worst case scenario - the repair doesn't hold and you are forced to buy a new board. Best case, you do a decent job at the repair, save some money and enjoy that board a little longer - with the added benefit that you now know a new skill.

What have you got to lose?
These users thanked the author SWO_kite for the post:
dave1986 (Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SWO_kite
Medium Poster

Postby SWO_kite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:15 pm

I suppose I could also offer some tips to get started...

If the insert is already loose, it should probably slip out of the board as you remove the foot strap.

However, if the base of the insert is flared it might take some extra effort to get it out. In this case, you can use a dremel or a grinder to cut the head of screw off so you can remove the foot strap. Once you can see the insert you might have a better idea of what you're working with.

Gently opening up the hole will be the only way to get the insert out. You could try using a small diameter drill bit to remove board material around the outside of the insert until there is enough clearance to get the insert out.

Once it's out, record the depth and internal threads so that you can buy a matching insert.

Using epoxy to reinstall a new insert should be pretty straight forward. With a larger opening it might get a little challenging, but I still think it's possible. Do your homework and come back here if you have more specific questions.

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Before doing anything drastic I would try this. Give the screws a soak with penetrating oil, liquid wrench, blaster, anyone of them really. Leave it for a few hours. Then you need to try stop the insert from spinning. Get under the strap close to the bolt and insert with a small pry bar or flat screwdriver with something under it like a pencil and lever hard upward to get some friction inside around the insert to stop it spinning. Try turning the bolt out.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster

Postby SWO_kite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 pm

unclebill wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:37 pm
Before doing anything drastic I would try this. Give the screws a soak with penetrating oil, liquid wrench, blaster, anyone of them really. Leave it for a few hours. Then you need to try stop the insert from spinning. Get under the strap close to the bolt and insert with a small pry bar or flat screwdriver with something under it like a pencil and lever hard upward to get some friction inside around the insert to stop it spinning. Try turning the bolt out.
I feel that because the insert is already loose, it will certainly need to be reinstalled.

I'll agree that if the original insert can be salvaged in this way, it's worth trying. But it would be easier to attempt this AFTER it has been removed from the board.

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Any ideas as to how to remove them without damaging the board would be appreciated!

Return to “Kitesurfing”