Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot UFO

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot UFO

Postby purdyd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm

i rode the 4m ghost today which was a lot of fun but also reaffirms to me that there should be a 4m ufo

the 5m ufo has really good low end, like a 6m but i don't think it has the high end of a more rigid 5m and that leaves a gap in in my strategy to move to a surfboard in higher winds

also, i wonder if 5m ufo paired with the 9m would be a better combination than 5 and 7.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby oregonkiter » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 pm

^^^

Agreed.

I actually wrote a letter last week to SS asking them to consider adding a 4 ufo to the stable. 4-->5 is a 25% increase which is pretty spot on I think. For foiling I can't see using the 9 much in Hood River. The 7 gets me up and going in next to nothing. Brilliant low end; top end is limited for how I prefer to ride.

The 5 UFO is the Wonder Kite. Just amazing range that's usable and fun. You still get great vertical lift even when under powered on UFO's, so roll tacks etc very doable and fun when under powered. To do the same maneuver on the SST when significantly under powered you have to send the kite much harder/faster which leaves you a lot less time to switch feet and kite is now low on new side of window so hard to generate a little extra juice to stay on foil without a loop. So for me, I cannot imagine not having a 5 UFO, just like the 6 SST was my go-to do everything if I can only have one size, "this is it kite" kite. I am actually hanging onto my 2020 6m SST as a backup. Love that kite too.

I am going to keep my 4 SST for big--averaging > 27 mph--days until SS comes out with a 4 UFO.
These users thanked the author oregonkiter for the post (total 3):
grigorib (Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm) • purdyd (Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:53 pm) • student (Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 am)
Rating: 25%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm

The problem with the 7 is that for me, the 5m is so good, it is a very narrow gap in low end. And the 7m feels big pretty quickly, as you stated.

The 5m ufo is for sure a sweet kite and a real sweet spot in general for foiling.

This is not a huge surprise for me, but I also feel if the 7m had a smaller leading edge and was faster I could get more low end out of the kite.

I have a friend with cloud 5.5 and 8.5 and the 5.5 is his goto kite and he says the 8.5 gets overpowered easily.

So I think maybe 9 and 5 for those that don’t live in the Columbia River gorge might be a better combo than 5 and 7.

But I say that never having ridden the 9m ufo.

And it would be a no brainer I think for slingshot to add a 4m ufo. Or maybe the 3m ufo has more range than I imagine?

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Style: Foil and surf
Gear: Slingshot.
Been thanked: 0

Postby tommeltot » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:56 am

I am relatively new to foiling. I’m just beginning to gybe. I have Slingshot SST’s in 6 and 8 together with a 4m Ghost. I weigh 64 kilos. I’m very interested in the UFO but have no experience with a strutless kite. I would like to hear and perhaps see more (video evidence) of this style of kites water relaunch. How much more technical (if at all) is it? I don’t have any issue relaunching my current kites when used in moderate to strong winds, in fact the 4m Ghost pops off the water with little to no effort at all.
I expect my question is a point that others may also be pondering? It is probably the main reason why I’m holding off on one until I see more info on this thread.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm 4 for 4 so far in water relaunch. Every time for me it just ends up downwind leading edge down. It just rolls up off the water. Easy kite to relaunch.

I suppose there is a chance the kite could come down in a weird way and be hard to relaunch. I think if that happened it would be easy enough for me to sit on the board, wrap the lines and set the kite right for a drift launch.

I'm just speculating here because so far it has been easy.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
tommeltot (Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:02 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Easiest kite I have ever relaunched. First off it is hard for it to end up in the water and it just rolls over because of the shape and weight. I’m only 2 for 2.

It is ridiculously easy to side launch and if straight downwind it just rolls over and hot launches. No need to get it out to the side.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Is it worth the price tag vs say Gong. Just checked out UK prices. I haven’t flown either so have no loyalty but amazed at the price difference and wonder if it’s a matched by a material difference in product.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:21 pm

I did finally drop the kite in the water in light winds. Just flew it into the water by accident. Leading edge down

I just rolled it over and then stalled it back down into trailing edge down. It does take a little manipulation to get it to clear but if you can get a wingtip into the wind, it will roll over.

I finally tried letting the kite come to the side instead of a hot launch and it did get up. Not sure if I got s bit more wind or that is simply a better way to relaunch in light wind or maybe I had a bit too much front line tension when trying to hot launch.

I did break down and get a 4m ghost, it is a better size for 20-25 mph winds. in spite of what I read from slingshot, the ufo is not a ghost with a strut removed. The ghost has a double concave trailing edge so a bow kite like construction.

The 4m ghost weight 50 grams more than my 5m ufo. So it doesn’t quite have the same magical float. Still a fun kite.

I wrote to slingshot and said they need a 4m ufo.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Foil and surf
Gear: Slingshot Ghost 4m, UFO 7m, SST 6m and 8m

Postby oceanromeo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:04 am

Took a 7m UFO out for a demo yesterday. I was most interested in it’s water relaunch having no previous experience with a strutless lei.
First impressions were that it’s an extremely light weight kite and needs to be pinned down on the sand/grass ‘cos it just wants to fly.
Easy kite to set at the edge of the wind window when self launching from a fixed tether point.
The wind was barely blowing 12 knots. The kite sat at 12 o’clock without any bar input whatsoever. Although I could get it into the water it wouldn’t stay there and would sit up at either side and a minimal amount of rear line tension would send it back into the air.
I couldn’t get it to back stall into the water even by pulling hard on both rear lines and no amount of pulling on the front lines would get it to Hindenburg.
Water conditions were relatively calm so I wasn’t able to get the canopy flooded to see how I could relaunch it in that scenario.
When I walked back to my launching / landing area the wind had really dropped off but the kite just sat at 12 no problem.
First impressions: I felt very confident flying it. Any pre conceived concerns about re launch have all but dissipated. At 65 kilos soaking wet I reckon a 7m would be the perfect size for me. I’m looking forward to another go soon.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm

3m ufo weight 993 grams

Return to “Kitesurfing”