Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Ventana and Hood River
Style: Strapless
Gear: Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot UFO

Postby Foilfreddy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 pm

I have no idea what the kites weigh but I'll try to figure that out soon and get back to this forum. All I know is that these kites are a huge upgrade from the SST. I've been using the SST for 4 years and never thought I'd find a kite that would compare or excel. Even when Slingshot said they were making a no strut, I didn't think I'd like it. I always thought more struts is better than less as it gives the kite more structure.
A couple weeks ago I took the UFO out on the water and instantly liked what I felt. Its got more lift than the SST (great for learning transitions) and turns completely off when sheeted out. In my opinion, more struts slow the kite down. Going back to the SST now I feel that I'm always waiting for it to catch up compared to the UFO. The UFO also has a more direct feel. My favorite sizes are the 5 and 7 with the 9 in third place and the 3 in fourth. The 3 is perfect for swell riding but doesn't have the lift I like for tricks. The 9 is too big of a kite for the gorge. I would say they pull two sizes bigger, if you want them to. The range is huge. I was on a 7m at floras in 8-14 and felt powered, but I've also kited the 7m in 20-25.
Theres very little flapping, something that I wouldn't be able to stand. I've seen review videos talking about difficulties relaunching but I don't understand where thats coming from because I've tried, unsuccessfully, to get water to stay on the canopy or get stuck with the kite on the water. I've yet to be succeed in that, which is a good thing. My theory is the way the wing tips flare up, the wind goes in the sides and pushes the canopy up from the leading edge side, therefore not trapping any water against the leading edge. For normal relaunching, a pinky pulling on the outside line is enough to get it up. Hands down the best relaunch of any kite I've ridden (although as stated above, I have not ridden the clouds).
As for the bar, I can neither confirm nor deny what ptben said above.

I find myself forgetting about the kite while foiling as it stays in the air so well and is always ready to accelerate if asked. If there is a kite to demo this summer, it's this one.
These users thanked the author Foilfreddy for the post (total 2):
airsail (Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 pm) • rombergo (Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:47 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 am

Foilfreddy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 pm
I have no idea what the kites weigh but I'll try to figure that out soon and get back to this forum. All I know is that these kites are a huge upgrade from the SST. I've been using the SST for 4 years and never thought I'd find a kite that would compare or excel. Even when Slingshot said they were making a no strut, I didn't think I'd like it. I always thought more struts is better than less as it gives the kite more structure.
A couple weeks ago I took the UFO out on the water and instantly liked what I felt. Its got more lift than the SST (great for learning transitions) and turns completely off when sheeted out. In my opinion, more struts slow the kite down. Going back to the SST now I feel that I'm always waiting for it to catch up compared to the UFO. The UFO also has a more direct feel. My favorite sizes are the 5 and 7 with the 9 in third place and the 3 in fourth. The 3 is perfect for swell riding but doesn't have the lift I like for tricks. The 9 is too big of a kite for the gorge. I would say they pull two sizes bigger, if you want them to. The range is huge. I was on a 7m at floras in 8-14 and felt powered, but I've also kited the 7m in 20-25.
Theres very little flapping, something that I wouldn't be able to stand. I've seen review videos talking about difficulties relaunching but I don't understand where thats coming from because I've tried, unsuccessfully, to get water to stay on the canopy or get stuck with the kite on the water. I've yet to be succeed in that, which is a good thing. My theory is the way the wing tips flare up, the wind goes in the sides and pushes the canopy up from the leading edge side, therefore not trapping any water against the leading edge. For normal relaunching, a pinky pulling on the outside line is enough to get it up. Hands down the best relaunch of any kite I've ridden (although as stated above, I have not ridden the clouds).
As for the bar, I can neither confirm nor deny what ptben said above.

I find myself forgetting about the kite while foiling as it stays in the air so well and is always ready to accelerate if asked. If there is a kite to demo this summer, it's this one.
8-14, feeling powered, on a 7m LEI. Are you able to clarify?

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:51 pm

ptben wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm

The bar Fred is using is his own modified bar, a stripped back normal Slingshot bar.
Odd that he can't confirm or deny ;)

Looks like it has new shaped and smaller floats and no "Oh shit" handles, which is cool if you're foiling in light winds.

I just hope that Oh shit handles stay as option on Slingshot bars.

apos0
Medium Poster

Postby apos0 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:10 pm

Looks like the 2021 bar

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:22 pm

apos0 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:10 pm
Looks like the 2021 bar

Yea it is. Like Reedin, Lacuna, Vantage etc. they went with the QR from Majestik Design.

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:18 am

So glad to hear SS has a viable and formidable option to what that arrogant jerk at Board Riding Maui (Clouds) offers. Go Slingshot!

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 am

stenner wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:18 am
So glad to hear SS has a viable and formidable option to what that arrogant jerk at Board Riding Maui (Clouds) offers. Go Slingshot!
Sounds like you have a Clash of personalities. I know many many foilers that love their Cloud kites and have had nothing bad to say about the owner of Cloud BRM kites. When he visited my local beach he was very respectful and polite to everyone. I am sure the Slingshot UFO will be a nice too.
These users thanked the author madworld for the post:
stenner (Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot

Postby wavy navy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:38 pm

What is the low end of the 9sqm UFO (compared to the low end of a ghost 10) for foiling? I start with my ghost 10 in 8 knots...
These users thanked the author wavy navy for the post:
1234567Simon (Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 pm)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm

Ive seen the ghost and it looks very well made.

you've got the ghost in even and the UFO in odd sizes.

No weights listed and some big gaps in the small sizes.

I think there could be a more holistic approach to these kites and sizing.

And I hate to beat on a dead horse but when you build the
as the lightest LEI kite ever produced.
it seems you should back that up with some numbers.

Excited to see slingshot entries into the single/no strut game.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Breze wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 pm
A foilbuddy(dealer) had his UFO 9m 3x times out now.
On his scale 1990g. We were together foiling. Not much flutter . Good drift and depower .Low grunt . Not super fast. No reverse relaunch possible on dry land in very low wind . Can jump if you hit the gust. Nice minimalistic toy.
I have to correct me on the reverse launch, the UFO can the reverse launch very easily :thumb:
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
purdyd (Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:58 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”