Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot UFO

Postby airsail » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Rikifil wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:01 pm
Ciao Carlo, I own UFOs 9-7-5m; I am in love with the 5m, I like the 7m and I have doubt on 9m bcz it doesn’t turn as I would expecially in downwind.
I recently bought a second hand Peak4 in 5m and a new 13m 😜 but I didn’t got the opportunity to fly them.
How do you compare the peak 5m vs ufo?
Thnx mate.
I owned the Peak 4 4mtr for awhile, but after a few swims decided I just couldn’t trust relaunch in our location, there is a rocky shore downwind. Only managed 50% relaunch if dropped, but a brilliant drifting kite if you have a location for them.
On Clouds now, a mates has a quiver of UFO’s, I’ve tried them, they are great and no worries about relaunch.
A winger had to rescue one of our foilers last week, he had dropped his Peak and was a bit far out to swim in, would have taken ages.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Rikifil wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:01 pm
Ciao Carlo, I own UFOs 9-7-5m; I am in love with the 5m, I like the 7m and I have doubt on 9m bcz it doesn’t turn as I would expecially in downwind.
I recently bought a second hand Peak4 in 5m and a new 13m 😜 but I didn’t got the opportunity to fly them.
How do you compare the peak 5m vs ufo?
Thnx mate.
Hi, the Slingshot UFO and the Flysurfer Peak 4 are different kites. Let me say first that the Flysurfer Peak 4 for pure freeriding foiling is the best kite I ever had and I own an entire quiver of Peaks; I tried recently the new 6 m.....simply awesome. That being said the Flysurfer Peak 4 is not good for jumping and tacking due to the lack of lift and airtime. Furthermore It can't always relaunched especially for a rider not used to fly foil kites. I can do that ninety per cent of times because I practice airstyle and foiling with the Flysurfer Sonics and Souls. Speed is a vital factor, if you are able to maintain lines tension after the kite falls It is possible to relaunch a Peak 4 even in light wind conditions, most of the times in reverse.
I can define the Slingshot UFO (and obviously the BRM Cloud) a sort of "LEI Peak 4" with pros and cons. Tacking with the UFO is way easier and so jumping, because this kite has a good lift and air time. For and average skilled rider relaunching is also easier. Rarely, in under powered wind conditions the UFO, could back stall and this thing will never happen with a FS Peak 4 which is the best drifting kite for foiling.
So, if you are practicing foil tacking and small jumps the UFO is better, on the other end if you want a kite super easy to fly, safe, iper reactive in the flight window and very practical to launch and land even in tiny spots the Peak 4 will be your best choice :thumb: . On my youtube channel (watermania1000) you can see a lot of Peaks videos. Happy new year.

Cheers

Carlo

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 64kg
Style: Foil
Gear: Slingshot UFO 4, 5, 6 and 8. Phantasm PFI633 and PTM684, Hope Craft V1.

Postby oceanromeo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:09 pm

I have stuck my 7m UFO in the drink two days on the bounce in winds of barely 10 to 12 knots. I’ve had it sunk in both trailing edge first and nose down. Both times I had the canopy flooded and both times, with just a bit of patience and a little input, pulling a steering line I’ve had a wing tip catch air which has released the water from the canopy and I’ve had no issues relaunching the kite at the edge of the window despite the light wind. I’m no rock star when it comes to foiling and know that my kite skills are far from perfect but I thoroughly enjoy this strutless kite and have a lot of confidence in it knowing, for one, that it will relaunch so easily - it just wants to fly off the water once the canopy is free. I like this strutless concept for its simplicity and light weight. I will add a 9m for those marginal days despite being able to foil reasonably comfortably both directions with the 7m right now I need the power of a bigger kite in the turn in such light wind to aid my transitions. I’m around 65 kilos (145 lbs. I think?) Have any other UFO users of a similar weight to me got first hand comments to offer as regards the 9m?
Last edited by oceanromeo on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:57 pm

UFO relaunches perfectly well

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 pm

So do clouds but it has always been a point of criticism regardless. Pretty sure you were of that opinion back when you were all about the Rally for foiling. Try going back to those after a season on UFOs!

Strutless LEIs are probably the best relaunching LEI kites, or at least lowest wind relaunching LEIs, but that will never be the common perception.

Peaks are perfectly relaunchable too, but you can’t say it because it’s so completely different from said common perception of relaunch.

Have water reset Peak4’s many times this season and they go back up without fail.

On balance, I swim less with Peaks than I did with clouds.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
grigorib (Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:29 am

I fly Clouds, used to fly Peaks. Our bay is like a washing machine in 20knots, breaking 3 ft swell with a rocky shore downwind. If I was in smoother water or along a sandy beach I would have stuck with Peaks, love the drift. But too many swims with them, never swum in with a Cloud. On water reset isn’t an option, the waves immediately swamp the kite again.

Used a UFO back to back with a Cloud, same, just a few very slight differences.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:32 am

I'm in market for LEI foil kite and leaning towrds Core Xlite or Airush Ultra, what is advantage of this strutless kites over 1S? Xlite and Ultra are very light already...

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Weight and drift.

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 64kg
Style: Foil
Gear: Slingshot UFO 4, 5, 6 and 8. Phantasm PFI633 and PTM684, Hope Craft V1.

Postby oceanromeo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:05 pm

The UFO is an extremely light kite. It’s stripped of all but essential Dacron protection. I’ve had really slack lines many a time but the drift is amazing and it soon steadies itself. It has never fallen out of the sky on me (hindenburg) unlike a single strut kite I’ve tried. It’s really stable at the zenith. Believe me I’ve tried to pull it down by yanking on the front lines and no way will it budge. It inspires a great deal of confidence in me as a foiling kite. I can’t comment on the Core or Airush kites for foiling save to say that they will be heavier with the strut and extra Dacron as they’re not marketed as solely foiling kites.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Milko0k wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm
Weight and drift.
And packing size. Packing 5/7/9 in your carryon before adding laptop, clothes and essentials is awesome

Return to “Kitesurfing”