Slingshot UFO

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot UFO

Postby purdyd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am
Yes, comparison with the Peak4 will be interesting. I guess that "UFO Kills the Peak Star " :lol:
Can´t believe that a 7 m UFO works fine in 10-20 kts of wind! Can anyone confirm this, really?!

There is a very detailled test report on German Gleiten.TV (German only: https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/480/ ). They speak about many details of the UFO (they tested 5, 7 and 9 m²). Lift seems to be very good. Wind range is mentioned to be comparable to a 1 m² larger 3-strut kite. Doesn´t sound like 10-20 kts with the 7 m²...
They also state that the UFO generates very little pull after the first sine to get up on the board / foil. It has to be flown fast to generate constant and sufficient pull. Partly due to this characteristic they recommend the UFO for "good and very good foilers" who "never drop their kites".

There seems to be only one shop in Germany which sells the UFO yet. €1,300 for a 7 m² looks more than weird :rollgrin:
I don’t think I would fly the 7m in 20 knots but certainly 10 knots would be possible. Personally I’d rather fly the 5m or even a 4m if they made one at that wind speed.

One thing the ufo does is depower completely and so it might have more range than you think. I feel like the limit on my three strut kites is because I lose steering before I lose power and that limits my upper range. The ufo can float with no power and can turn with almost no power. So a skilled kiter might get more range out of the ufo.

I flew the 5m yesterday and I thought it had plenty of pull for a small kite without moving. I thought it was extremely easy to get up on foil and really easy to fly. Unless you flew the kite into the water, it would be hard to drop the kite.

It doesn’t have a huge spike on the downstroke but it pulls well on the upstroke.

I don’t know about relaunch but from self launching, I expect it will be relatively easy, it has a good rounded shape and is extremely light.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am
Can´t believe that a 7 m UFO works fine in 10-20 kts of wind! Can anyone confirm this, really?!

They also state that the UFO generates very little pull after the first sine to get up on the board / foil. It has to be flown fast to generate constant and sufficient pull. Partly due to this characteristic they recommend the UFO for "good and very good foilers" who "never drop their kites".
3UFOSesh.jpg
I had 3 UFO session in the days after Hanna. I think 7 in 20 knots on HF is fine although I would also choose a smaller kite for HF. It handles powered conditions well. The rest pull and flapping are not bad. Very fun to kite both in the overpowered and underpowered range. I'm not convinced the 7 would take me down to consistent 10 knots but have not had the right chance to try.

The pull is a little different. Compared to say a Boxer, its hard to find the pull on the other side of a tack to keep moving and on foil. Best I have figured out with just a few small UFO sessions is a small little L shaped 360 even with good power. Even then I come of foil about 50% of the time. It may be that I just haven't adapted to it yet. My relaunch success is 100% so far even in waves so I don't see this never drop it statement.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm

a99 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:00 am
Maybe someone can write impressions of Ufo comparing with Peak4 in foiling?
Light weight and staying in the air:
UFO is as light as a Hyperlink V1 but Peak4 is the king.

Riding downwind into the kite:
UFO back-stalls deep into the window when asked and can ride downwind in deep angles like a peak. Peak is more intuitive and harder to slack the lines. But unfortunately with Peak when it does happen the collapse and failure is more spectacular and likely results in a pack-down and swim for me. The UFO when lines are slack and kite is deep slowly turns nose down starts to fall. With the structure of the kite it resumes control immediately on turning upwind.

Pinweel turns:
Peak = yes, UFO = no. UFO likes to turn at most at 1/3 the wingspan and still maintains a power in the turn.

Powerful turns:
UFO much more powerful

Bar pressure:
UFO much more pressure, easier to feel loss of power due to over-sheeting kite.

Bottom end power to water start on HF pocket board:
Probably same. Easier to avoid over-sheeting UFO.

Relaunch:
Its not even a close contest.

Top End:
Peak has more flogging and more rest pull. UFO is fun overpowered and underpowered.

Poaching sessions:
Peak is easier to launch in unusually bad launches and you don't have to hike a pump. UFO is easier to drift launch.

Bag: Peak is easier to get in the bag it is supplied with. UFO you can do it but its like putting the bottom fitted elastic sheet on a bed.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 3):
grigorib (Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm) • 1234567Simon (Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 pm) • a99 (Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 am)
Rating: 25%

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm

I have had my 7m ufo in gusts to 23/24 mph. Gusts are doable, but not ideal. My formula currently is wind averaging 13-17 mph = 7 ufo, 18-25 mph = 5 ufo, 26-30 mph = 5 sst, 31-->35 = 4 sst. In these averages if there are big spikes and wind is at top end of average I am likely to size down.

The low end of the 7 is impressive, be it due to design and/or true area I have no idea.

The ufo does not handle big spikes as well as a more rigid kite. Everywhere else, it outperforms as a foiling kite imo. (except self-landing--don't take your eyes off of the kite. It wants to fly!)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm

"UFO is as light as a Hyperlink V1 but Peak4 is the king."
UFOs heavier than hyperlink. 9m hyperlink weighs 1,6kg.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40

Postby airsail » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 pm

Haven’t tried the UFO but owned the Peak 4 before moving to Clouds. Loved the Peak 4, best drift ever, and would still be using it except for relaunch. If you have a big open beach where the occasional swim is of no issue, go the Peak for ultimate drift. But, if like me a swim involves a rocky coastline, go the UFO. If the UFO’s relaunch is anything like the Cloud, easiest kite to relaunch after a dunking I have ever used.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm
"UFO is as light as a Hyperlink V1 but Peak4 is the king."
UFOs heavier than hyperlink. 9m hyperlink weighs 1,6kg.
Are you talking V2 or UL?

My V1 5 and 7 are within 100 grams of UFO
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
TomW (Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 pm) • purdyd (Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:38 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:15 am

More 7m UFO range data to share: I launched from the Event Site (BOTTOM CHART) at exactly 1:15. Dove the kite and was well powered and headed up wind immediately to the Hatchery (TOP CHART) until 3:30, at which point I was too over powered to enjoy the kite. Rigged a 5 ufo was well powered and was out until 6:30. Foiling on 683/425
Attachments
Hatchery.gif
Hatchery.gif (20.91 KiB) Viewed 283 times
EventSite.gif
EventSite.gif (21.77 KiB) Viewed 283 times

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:24 am

I tried watching the interview of Tony Logosz on page 4 of this thread. Not sure I even finished it, started drifting away, but I think he said something at some point about the UFO having great upwind for a low aspect kite... something like that.

Any opinions on upwind performance compared to the Peak4?

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:18 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm
a99 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:00 am
Maybe someone can write impressions of Ufo comparing with Peak4 in foiling?
Light weight and staying in the air:
UFO is as light as a Hyperlink V1 but Peak4 is the king.
Thank you for great reviews.
Can you tell which turns faster size to size: Ufo 7m or peak4 5m ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”