Pivot evolution

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Pivot evolution

Postby alford » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 pm

Does the Pivot sit in the same area of the wind window now vs a few years ago? Is it fair to say the kite has skewed slightly toward all around/big air vs all around/wave?
And finally, how is the overall durability of the Pivot? Thank you.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: Pivot evolution

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 am

Well, last year a Pivot crashed right in front of my nose, and I rode right through it. Terrible quality!
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 am

I have only used 2019/2020 model. I like it for both twintip jumping and strapless surfboard. So it fit what I was looking for.

There is a new review from wetestkites.com that You can check out as well.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:37 pm

For me I have 2019's & 2017's. They seem to sit in the same area to me. The difference is in the flight characteristics. My friend who is an engineer summed it up. Higher pressure in the inflatable struts allows for the kite to keep it's shape better. Which translates into the intended design being more accurately used while flying.

I would agree with that. My 2019's have better drift & seem to be noticeably more stable. I kite at a pretty gusty wave spot in Cal & spend winters on Maui so I have a lot of water time with them.

Durability is excellent. I haven't had any problems in years of use. Quality is at the top for sure.
These users thanked the author John Doe for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 pm
Does the Pivot sit in the same area of the wind window now vs a few years ago? Is it fair to say the kite has skewed slightly toward all around/big air vs all around/wave?
And finally, how is the overall durability of the Pivot? Thank you.
Naish kites are built super strong. The past few seasons they have added quad tech (I think that is what its called). Its 4 times the strengthening fibers in the canopy, they have also added a new type of thread for the LE that allows them to make the LE and struts smaller diameter and have it hold an increased PSI.
As usual for bumpers it might be a little overbuilt...but I guess if you do a lot of self-launching and landing its good to have them.
To me, it feels like it is more stable now than a few years ago. I mean it was great back then. Personally I think the kite has gotten a tad more aggressive. My guess is when Langeree started riding it, they kind of figured they had to make it more geared towards big jumps and loops. I think that also made space for the Slash. That said, the kite is still super stable and rides waves really well. I use mine mostly for waves. It both drifts well and responds fast. Even on slacklines it drifts back and reengages. It is a bit more grunty than the slash, and quite a bit more aggressive when jumping. But still fine for helicopter loops etc. Same for drifting down the wave on SS winds. I would say overall the kite has gotten better in all respects, but yeah it is fair to say they have made bigger leaps on the freestyle vs waves. The biggest difference to me between the slash and the pivot is that the Slash is not quite as aggressive when it comes to strapless riding.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Any news on the new Pivot - I saw somewhere they were going to be black with the Naish Skull & Crossbones ??

Aside from the aesthetics (Homer Simpson style) - mmmmmm.... black kites with skulls... will be interested to hear what the canopy/bridle changes are? What is the new valve like and are they falling apart?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 pm
Any news on the new Pivot - I saw somewhere they were going to be black with the Naish Skull & Crossbones ??

Aside from the aesthetics (Homer Simpson style) - mmmmmm.... black kites with skulls... will be interested to hear what the canopy/bridle changes are? What is the new valve like and are they falling apart?
Well, I have the new valves and they are fine. I mean obviously having a kite for a year might not give you the best perspective over many years, but so far so good.
I also heard the pivot will come out in a LE version like the dash....I am drooling. That is all I have heard so far.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. One more question. Does the 14m have the great DNA as the smaller sizes, I mean for a 14m kite?

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Oesterdam - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna - Egypt
Kappalady lagoon - Sri Lanka
Mauritius - le Morne
Style: old school
Gear: North Orbit 12 m2 2023
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2
Boardschmiede 135 x 40 , Duotone Jaime textreme 133 x 40 , S6 Boards 134 x 40
Groove foil board and Fab foil

Postby eenzwemvijver » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 pm

i Have 2020 Pivots and had 2015 , 2016 and 2017 pivots in the past . I loved the octopus system but the new inflate is the best I ever had on any kite and I had about 7 brands the past 5 years . The Quality is top , only Core felt better to me . The ride characteristic is evolved more to big air imo but still a good kite on a waveboard or foil ! I did jump my highest one on the pivot and that is something if you know I have a collection of 2020 Rebels to . I love the kite and my girlfriend prefer the pivot above the Rebel and she is a kind of beginner ( she can ride up and down very wel , jumps 6 m and a backroll to give you a idee ) while I think the Rebel is easier for beginners .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:07 pm

alford wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Thanks for the replies. One more question. Does the 14m have the great DNA as the smaller sizes, I mean for a 14m kite?
Definitely for a 14 it has. I only had a few sessions on my 14 way back so I can't comment on the past two years. To me it was a great mix between the big and small kite feel. It was slow enough to practice stuff, but fast enough give you a sense how it will work in real wind. I would not try to ride waves with it tho...but if you were to ride waves with a 14, I think this would be it haha.

Return to “Kitesurfing”