Local Beach: Different places in the Netherlands
Style: Beginner
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Beginner question about kite sizes

Postby submarineee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:35 am

Hi,

I've had my first lessons last weeks and it is time for me to acquire my first kites. I live in the Netherlands and I'm wondering what sizes I should get. I'm 1.93 and 85 kilo. Now I am probably willing to buy 2 kites right away so I want to find the perfect combination as it is a big investment. While researching the most answers others gave were sizes 12 and 9. Now I have a kite brand in mind, it's called Ventum. It is a local kite brand and I've got some good recommendations about the brand/kites and the guy running the brand. Now the only problem is the kites from Ventum have sizes 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. So I'm now thinking about acquiring an 9 and an 11. But is it a substantial difference? Or do I get way more kiting days/oppportunities if I get a 13/9 or a 11/7 combination? The price/quality of Ventum makes me interested but I am afraid with an 9 and 11 I will definitely will be needing a third kite in the near future. Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Re: Beginner question about kite sizes

Postby PeaBody » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:33 am

I think it will really depend on the average wind strength where you intend to kite, talk to some of the locals etc and see what the common sizes are....

If the wind is often around 18-20knots you will need the 13, but if the wind is often over 20-25 an 11 might be better.
These users thanked the author PeaBody for the post:
submarineee (Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:08 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:45 am

Pretty sure there are quite a few kiters from that area here that could give you a better answer based on local conditions, but generally speaking 9 and 13 works (without knowing those kites - and how they fly).

With my 9 and 12 there is definitely some overlap where both kites work. I think 9 and 12 is better than 9 and 13, but wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. For a 2-kite setup I would not recommend 9 and 11. Too close.

As for going lower. I'm taller and heavier than you (almost 2m and around 100kg), but I have still never used my 7. Even in Brazil and South Africa I have never been completely overpowered with my 9. You would be in some of those conditions with 15kgs less, but for twin-tip in Europe you are based on my experience not missing out on many days of kiting for not having a 7.

Also a question how safe it is for a beginner to kite in conditions requiring a 7. Things tend to be more unpredictable in very strong winds.

I guess some local riders might give more input as to which kite will hit the sweet spot most often between 9 and 11. If this is 11 I would be tempted to just get one kite first. Take it from there.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
submarineee (Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:08 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Netherlands and 85 kg sounds like the perfect 9 and 12m combo! Those are also the sizes you can sell very easily since most people use them. A friend of mine just bought a 9m supermodel from kitemana for a good deal and loves it. How well 9 and 12 or 13 work together also depends on the type of kite, best to ask the guys at ventum if you want those kites. I would be shocked if they would give you bad advice since they seem like a good bunch from looking at what they are doing on social media. Probably the guys here in the forums from the netherlands can give you good advice too.

I would only be worried that a 13m is no fun. 12m kites can be a lot of fun but once they get bigger it might be a slow jumbo jet but that also depends on the kite itself. Anyways plenty of test events in the netherlands all the time so you should definitely test around before you buy in general.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi submarinee I am from the Netherlands and mostly kite at sea. Same weight and height as myself. See you are looking at the Xplore which has some gaps in their size range. If you start out with 1 kite def go for the 11m. Especially in the beginning that will be your default size to go to anyway. Best would be a 8/9 next to it pref an 8 but this is not available in Xplore. What you can also check out is the Xcite which does have the 8 and 12. Slightly more advanced but def doable as beginner. All depends on what your goal is with Kitesurfing and which discipline you are interested in. Sebastiaan from Ventum is more than willing to help you out, explain all the differences and will also let you test both kites if you are having doubts. Quality wise these kites seem to be very good...also planning some test session soon!

Good luck

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Go for 9/13m if you are locked on Ventum. I am 82kg and use 12m most, 9m for high winds and 7m for stormy weather with gusts up to 40knots. As a beginner on normal day you will appreciate 13m betetr than 12m. you a going to need that power to learn upwind. 9/11 are too close, they will overlap a lot, would be waisteful. Later you will buy 7m and you got the whole range.
It also depends on your board size- on smaller board you can hold more power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”