Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Forum for kitesurfers
whoschrisellington
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:45 am
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165lbs
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Gear: 10m Slingshot Rpm 2018
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby whoschrisellington » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:10 pm

You all are awesome and have helped me out a shit ton. I was really just panicking because I made a big purchase and wanted to make sure I got what was appropriate for the setting. I’m looking into a bigger bar now.

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:11 am

17” bars are sick, don’t worry about getting anything bigger until you get a bigger kite. You can buy smaller sizes kite only.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 am

I would suggest a 20" bar as a first bar, although 17" is not that problematic for a 10m. Personally, I generally use a 20" (50cm) bar on anything bigger than a 7m. There is no "right" kite for Hatteras, as the conditions are so variable. There is also no "right" quiver, for the same reason. For a single kite, a 10m is a good compromise. You might eventually want to get a 7m for stronger winds & a 14m if you want to use a TT in lighter winds.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:20 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Daversj
Medium Poster
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Daversj » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am

Kash wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:48 pm
10m open-c kite is a great thing to have, dont worry. And RPMs are fine. But you may do a terrible mistake if you buy 12m RPM with it. Because it will not improve your wind range at all. In fact I would recommend to look at 14/15m kite to pair it with.
The smaller RPMs are great kites. 10m and smaller. Not a fan of the larger ones like 12m and up. I think there are better options. 14m RPMs are horrible, difficult to relaunch and feel heavy. Large kites should be light wind kites, not scaled up performance kites.

Lots of good advise here.

My favorite size lines are 21 to 23m , 25m Lines for larger or light wind kites. Small kites on long lines like 25m don't feel right. Takes to long to move from one side of window to other. To slow to change tack. In light wind longer lines give big kites a longer power stroke and put the kite a little higher in hopefully better wind.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:48 am

Daversj wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am
Kash wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:48 pm
10m open-c kite is a great thing to have, dont worry. And RPMs are fine. But you may do a terrible mistake if you buy 12m RPM with it. Because it will not improve your wind range at all. In fact I would recommend to look at 14/15m kite to pair it with.
The smaller RPMs are great kites. 10m and smaller. Not a fan of the larger ones like 12m and up. I think there are better options. 14m RPMs are horrible, difficult to relaunch and feel heavy. Large kites should be light wind kites, not scaled up performance kites.

Lots of good advise here.

My favorite size lines are 21 to 23m , 25m Lines for larger or light wind kites. Small kites on long lines like 25m don't feel right. Takes to long to move from one side of window to other. To slow to change tack. In light wind longer lines give big kites a longer power stroke and put the kite a little higher in hopefully better wind.
That's another thing: I wouldn't recommend 20m lines for a 10m. Like the smaller bar, it's doable, but not ideal. 22m or 23m lines generally come on a 20"/50cm bar & the combination gives you a longer power stroke & noticeably more power when you need it. If you have the option, I would suggest exchanging the bar. You won't really need a smaller bar/shorter lines until you start riding smaller kites in higher winds.

Kash
Rare Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 pm
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Kash » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:56 am

Daversj wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am
Kash wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:48 pm
10m open-c kite is a great thing to have, dont worry. And RPMs are fine. But you may do a terrible mistake if you buy 12m RPM with it. Because it will not improve your wind range at all. In fact I would recommend to look at 14/15m kite to pair it with.
The smaller RPMs are great kites. 10m and smaller. Not a fan of the larger ones like 12m and up. I think there are better options. 14m RPMs are horrible, difficult to relaunch and feel heavy. Large kites should be light wind kites, not scaled up performance kites.

Lots of good advise here.

My favorite size lines are 21 to 23m , 25m Lines for larger or light wind kites. Small kites on long lines like 25m don't feel right. Takes to long to move from one side of window to other. To slow to change tack. In light wind longer lines give big kites a longer power stroke and put the kite a little higher in hopefully better wind.
And I completely agree with you. All open-C kites above 10m or maybe 11m shouldn't even exist, they perform only for very big guys in the same wind range as 10m, but do not give more bottom end for smaller riders.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:10 am

Kash wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:56 am
Daversj wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am
Kash wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:48 pm
10m open-c kite is a great thing to have, dont worry. And RPMs are fine. But you may do a terrible mistake if you buy 12m RPM with it. Because it will not improve your wind range at all. In fact I would recommend to look at 14/15m kite to pair it with.
The smaller RPMs are great kites. 10m and smaller. Not a fan of the larger ones like 12m and up. I think there are better options. 14m RPMs are horrible, difficult to relaunch and feel heavy. Large kites should be light wind kites, not scaled up performance kites.

Lots of good advise here.

My favorite size lines are 21 to 23m , 25m Lines for larger or light wind kites. Small kites on long lines like 25m don't feel right. Takes to long to move from one side of window to other. To slow to change tack. In light wind longer lines give big kites a longer power stroke and put the kite a little higher in hopefully better wind.
And I completely agree with you. All open-C kites above 10m or maybe 11m shouldn't even exist, they perform only for very big guys in the same wind range as 10m, but do not give more bottom end for smaller riders.
I disagree 12m is the top for the RPM. 14m is not a light wind kite it is a 12m for big riders. When I first went to RPM's I did 10/14 combo but the 14 had to go. The low end between the 12 and 14 for me was negligible but the performance was night and day.

As far as the bar goes it is all preference in the end. I have 5 bars for different riding styles. I have a 20" bar with 23m lines I use for free ride and big air tricks. I have 20" with 20m lines this is used for foiling, surf, and kiteloops. 2 17" bars same lines same riding for my 7m kites. I have a 14" bar with 23m lines for freestyle. I have used this bar with 14m rpm and 17m turbine with no problems. Just have to pull directly on the steering line from time to time to save the big kites from hitting the water.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:52 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:10 am


As far as the bar goes it is all preference in the end. I have 5 bars for different riding styles. I have a 20" bar with 23m lines I use for free ride and big air tricks. I have 20" with 20m lines this is used for foiling, surf, and kiteloops. 2 17" bars same lines same riding for my 7m kites. I have a 14" bar with 23m lines for freestyle. I have used this bar with 14m rpm and 17m turbine with no problems. Just have to pull directly on the steering line from time to time to save the big kites from hitting the water.
That may be true for an experienced rider with a wide variety of bars for a wide variety of kiting styles ... but we're talking about a complete beginner with a single bar.

vakiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:32 pm
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +straps, foil.
Gear: 12/10/8 flites, 7 edge,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby vakiter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:15 pm

17" is fine. you can adjust the rear attachments on rpm toward lighter bar pressure to make kite more responsive.

i would try your setup and then adjust as you see what you need.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Have I Made A Terrible Mistake?

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:18 pm

vakiter wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:15 pm
17" is fine. you can adjust the rear attachments on rpm toward lighter bar pressure to make kite more responsive.

i would try your setup and then adjust as you see what you need.
A beginner has no idea what a kite should feel like, so how are they going to make adjustments?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 100 guests