Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

LEI kites in roof top box

Forum for kitesurfers
geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]
Brand Affiliation: None

LEI kites in roof top box

Postby geokite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:11 pm

What experience have people had with transporting LEI kites in the typical black plastic roof top box (Yakima, etc)? Too hot? Anyone ever measure the temperature in one when it's really hot out?

It's black, so it soaks up the heat, but it isn't transparent, so there is no green house effect like the car.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: LEI kites in roof top box

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:26 pm

I have done it with no issues my old box was black. I went with silver for the new one for that reason.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Its been 10 years since I had one but did have valves delam. I painted it white and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom so there was some ventilation. The paint peeled a bit and it started looking pretty red-neck. Maybe that is ideal to keep stuff from getting stolen, but it attracted a lot of unwarranted harassment from parking enforcement.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:36 am

I have used a black topper to transport kites and it seems to be fine as long as there is airflow. I would never leave the kites in a box parked.

sewerrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north of santa cruz

Postby sewerrat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 pm

I use a white topped box, with a somewhat worn out seal strip. The kites are always dry and cool to the touch when I take them out the next day. Stored in the car, the kites would still be wet (if stored that way) and warm to touch from baking in the car. So not sure if its the white top or the airflow that is key. Do an experiment: Just pull your kite out after a couple of hours in the black box and compare to one that was stored in the car. Hopefully the one in the box isn't hot. You might try using some double sided tape and stick a window shade type material on the underside of the top and alson some small holes in base tray bottom to allow for air circulation. You might try Plasti-dip if you think white is needed. https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/ No experience with it, but worth a try?

Return to “Kitesurfing”