Forum for kitesurfers
ieism
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4
Brand Affiliation: None

Soft top Simmons shape

Postby ieism » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:17 pm

I saw a regular surfer riding this today in small waves, and asked him what it was. It looked like fun and got me thinking I could try riding it with a kite too. The board is only €170, and if its crap my daughter can probably surf it successfully.

Should i just go for it, or is it a waste of money?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200718-231158_Chrome.jpg

RidingRobi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB

Re: Soft top Simmons shape

Postby RidingRobi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Hey,
I have the softech rocket 4.6 which has a kind of similar shape. It's a super fun board for really low winds and ankle high mush. In anything more serious you really notice the missing rocker and the fat nose and tail.
Its tricky to get grip during the turn but not bury the nose.
I wouldnt buy it again (because it's also not that great for prone surfing imo) but as I have it, I often take it with me now and I use it sometimes when I don't feel like foiling and there is no proper wind with waves.

The decathlon one looks a bit more performance oriented but I would think the feel should be somewhat similar.

PS: It probably won't last forever as well. Some serious dents after ~10 sessions but nothing serious yet
These users thanked the author RidingRobi for the post:
ieism (Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:24 am)
Rating: 8.33%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 am

for marginal conditions will be fun

there are some great "foamies" out there right now, they are having a bit of a revival, even popular with really good surfers

Softech make some great foamies. I have caught 1000s of waves on mine for surfing, it is a wave catching machine.

The main downside is that they can "leak " as in let water in. Tip: Weight it when you buy it.. and make sure the fin plugs are tight as this is often where they suck water into the polystyrene.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
ieism (Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:25 am)
Rating: 8.33%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:48 am

I picked up a trespass grommit soft board (5ft) a couple of years ago. It was fun to ollie as it was so light. Though even small jumps would leave heel dents. Mine wasn't a particularly good light wind board though as it was a bit slow (but was a tri-fin setup which would have been more draggy).

Don't think I'd pay that much money for one though. Mine was about £40 which seemed about the right amount of money. The heat destroyed mine (large bubbles under the surface) after it sat in a hot loft so I gave mine away in the end.

ieism
Rare Poster

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 pm

I rode the thing yesterday, and it actually did pretty well. This was my first time strapless and I was riding after about 5 tries so not too hard. It goes earlier then my lightwind twintip and feels more like youre windsurfing somehow. I can carve it pretty easy, but the footswap needs a bit of practice, I did not pull that off.

Compared to a dedicated surfboard its cheap and I can play with it for a while to find out what I like about it. My daughter loves it, and its a good size for her to surf mellow waves so its not wasted money. I was surprised at the quality, its not too bad. The rails are nice and sharp, and it goes upwind easy too.
Attachments
IMG-20200720-WA0003.jpg

alpaia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Why not if it works, it is probably nice is small waves and light wind according to decathlon 44L so must float well, and as you said nice upwind with parallel outline.
The only thing is you will have to be gentle the construction & fins is not as strong as a kite surfboard of course.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:11 am

Awesome, looks super stable for grom surfers too. Looks like it will catch a ripple!

Waxing it will mean more grip. You could drawer a stringer line on it first, can help with knowing where to put your feet... for surf groms...

ieism
Rare Poster

Postby ieism » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:15 pm

I tried it with a smaller kite in light wind today, i was on an 8m Peak 4 , most were riding 12m kites. This thing rips upwind. I finally have the idea that I'm not just going back and forth, but can go anywhere even when underpowered.

The waterstart is harder because the waves wash the board away and its hard to push the board under water to angle it, but im getting the hang of it . I grab the upwind rail with my back hand and sort of pull it underwater.

At some point the wind nearly died, and I was the only one up riding at all out of 30 kiters. :)

I need to be braver carving it around and swapping feet, im stalling because I'm going too slow all the time. But ill get it soon.
Would absolutely buy this again, I'll probably sell my lightwind twintip because this is just more fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”