Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rebel to Dice or Evo

Forum for kitesurfers
Orestisn1993
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Larisa
Gear: Duotone Rebel 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby Orestisn1993 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 pm

Thank you for your time your answers are punctual and very helpfull. Do you think that a quiver of 7-10-12 can work too?

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 am
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby Blackened » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 am

It depends on your local wind and weight. For example, if you're overpowered on the 12m at 20/21kn, then you'll want to drop to a 9m.

To give you perspective, I could ride my 10m Evo in ~21kn and 9m in ~23kn with 95kg (only mowing the lawn with both). Generally most people would say to do a 12-9-7 and have the 2m difference at the bottom. Wind power increases almost exponentially with speed, so the difference between smaller kites is larger.

PS. A 9m kite is a weird sweet spot between power and turning speed. I recommend one for almost everyone. It's the reason I have a 10/9m combo instead of a 10/8.

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:30 am
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Boost3 7m, Switchblades 10m, Soul 15m
NHP Split, Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby SolarSet » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am

Orestisn1993 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 pm
Thank you for your time your answers are punctual and very helpfull. Do you think that a quiver of 7-10-12 can work too?
Makes no sense to have 10m and 12m IMHO.

For 75kg 7/9/12
For 85-95kg 7/10/14
For +95kg 8/11/15

Wind speed 14kts to 35kts.

Smaller kite you ride the larger wind range is has.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:35 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am
Orestisn1993 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 pm
Thank you for your time your answers are punctual and very helpfull. Do you think that a quiver of 7-10-12 can work too?
Makes no sense to have 10m and 12m IMHO.

For 75kg 7/9/12
For 85-95kg 7/10/14
For +95kg 8/11/15

Wind speed 14kts to 35kts.

Smaller kite you ride the larger wind range is has.
I agree about the spacing between the 7 and 10 being too big, but it was interesting for me to see that the local shops are now getting 10s out on demo as they see most people starting to move to a 8/10/12 setup.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 am
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby Blackened » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:35 pm

I agree about the spacing between the 7 and 10 being too big, but it was interesting for me to see that the local shops are now getting 10s out on demo as they see most people starting to move to a 8/10/12 setup.
The 2m difference is better because there is more overlap in the usable range. That means you can use a better sized kite for the conditions. The trade off is that you likely have too much kite for the 40kn+ days. I went for a smaller combo, 12-10-9 for this reason. I can use the 9m up to 40kn, but my local areas only have 2-3 days a year I would use a 7/8m kite. Not interested in paying a huge amount of money for a kite I only use a couple times a year.

I also am extremely bias towards 9m :)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:50 am

I remember that there used to be a theory that only certain sizes were fully tested (I think 9m being the key one) and that other sizes were extrapolated so you often got a better product if you stuck with the key sizes. I'd guess that this isn't the case as most brands have a lot more light riders (women) signed up so testing should be easy now.

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:30 am
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Boost3 7m, Switchblades 10m, Soul 15m
NHP Split, Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby SolarSet » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:26 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:50 am
I remember that there used to be a theory that only certain sizes were fully tested (I think 9m being the key one) and that other sizes were extrapolated so you often got a better product if you stuck with the key sizes. I'd guess that this isn't the case as most brands have a lot more light riders (women) signed up so testing should be easy now.
That shouldn't be a case for every brand as if you look at Flysufer Boost3 and Stoke on their website different sizes have different dimension not only extrapolated


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests