Rare Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Larisa
Gear: Duotone Rebel 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby Orestisn1993 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:39 pm

good afternoon . i am currently riding a Rebel 12m 2019 and i was looking to change on a Dice or Evo. i would like to know which are the more crucial differnces for an almost unexperienced rider as myself because after a short research i undesrtand that the two kites dont have big differences. i want also to point that i have never tested a Dice but i do have experience on Evo in the past. also i would like to ask in terms of number which number would be fitted to me regarding the fact that i was riding a 12m rebel and Switchblade in the past.especially fr Dice it would be good to go with a 13m or 12m would be fine as well.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Rebel to Dice or Evo

Postby Blackened » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:28 am

G'day fella,

If you're inexperienced and set on moving from the Rebel, the Evo is by far the best choice. There are quite a lot of differences between the kites, but to quickly answer your question on crucial ones as an inexperienced kiter:

1. Bigger windrange - Evo has more low end, similar to the Rebel. If you ride a 12m Rebel, then you'd need a 12m Evo or a 13m Dice.
2. Easier jumping and better hangtime - Evo is much easier to jump with much better hangtime. The Dice will jump just as high, but you need great technique.
3. Soft loops - the Evo is a much softer looper, so when you start learning them, it doesn't have as much sudden yank as the Dice.
4. Better relaunch - Evo's relaunch is almost automatic

Basically, the Evo is a beginner friendly (extremely forgiving) kite that won't hurt as bad when you mess up. The Dice is an advanced freestyle/big air kite. Unless you're already a semi-proficient kiter looking to get into unhooking tomorrow, the Evo is by far the best choice of the two. It will also be semi-familiar to you coming from the Rebel. It does everything well, so is the perfect launching point into a specific kiting discipline (waves, foiling, big air, unhooking, etc).

On another note, I don't think you absolutely need to move from the Rebel as a beginner, but the Evo is definitely easier to use out of the two.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Diego Gama (Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:44 am

The dice is always worth a test. What hasn't been said yet is that it is a very playful kite, very fast, needs active flying in the low end/low middle wind range, that way you can actually use the entire windrange of the kite but if you want a kite that you can park and ride than that is not happening unless you are using the kite only when well powered. The bar pressure is very soft and good if you have problems with your elbows, upwind is not as good as with the freeride kites, in gusty conditions you need to have a good edge, when there is not much wind for the size kite than you need good technique for both jumping and relaunching but once there is wind then it is a very easy relaunch and jumper with good hangtime. I actually enjoy jumping the dice more than my rebel or evo but hate that it needs so much wind since I don't want to actively fly the kite. The 12 or 13m don't have as bad a lowend as the smaller sizes and I haven't flown those but am currently waiting for a chance to test the 12 and 13m dice at a demo, have only flown them in 8 and 9m so far. Definitely don't buy the dice without testing and if you enjoy the rebel/switchblade then I doubt that you would actually enjoy the dice but who knows ... if you get on the water a lot and want something more fun it might work perfectly.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post (total 2):
Diego Gama (Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm) • Leon van Bergen (Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Orestisn1993
Rare Poster

Postby Orestisn1993 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 am

Good morning guys and thank you for your answers. Maybe i didnt make myself totally clear when i am saying that i am an unexperienced kiter i dont mean that i am a beginner because in that case i would not think to go with a Dice. I just have started in baby steps although some rolls and loops and am trying to hit some bigger jumps but nothing huge.i am not looping in jumps at the time. And as i say i would like my new kite to help me progress a litlle bit faster in that way but without having troubles in simple things(relaunching,etc).
These users thanked the author Orestisn1993 for the post:
Diego Gama (Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 am

Evo will allow you to progress much quicker. It's a confidence builder as everything is just easier and hurts less on it. Learn all your basic loops (downloop, transition, heli) and loop tricks (darkslide, hand drag) on the Evo. After that, evaluate which discipline you want to get more into and possibly change at that stage. I progressed more in the first month swapping to an 2018 Evo than I had in the previous two years on my Dice/various other kites. They were even used by a few KOTA riders over the Dice in Feb when the wind was a bit light.

As Exal said, the Dice requires some work at the lower end of the range and doesn't upwind nearly as well. It takes quite a lot of technique before you can really hook up the Dice in jumping. The Dice is a great kite and will outperform the Evo in many aspects, but likely not in the realms you're currently dabbling. Unless of course you want unhooking now, then ignore everything I said and get the Dice :).

Diego Gama
Rare Poster
Weight: 95
Style: Big Air/Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Dice/Rebel/Evo 2020

Postby Diego Gama » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 pm

I was doing the same question than you a time ago.
If someone told you Evo and Dice there is no much difference then is wrong.
Dice is the kite that will push to use/leanr more techniques, it is different how you jump with the Rebel, Evo and Dice.
The rebel it is very friendly forgiven kite, it is a specific kite for jumping and really good for upwind, you dont need much technique for jumping, the bar pressure is higher. The dice you can really boost, get speed, edge your board and jump, you can go for waves and you can unhook light bar pressure, and to be honest a dice 12m for me loops equaly easy than a rebel 9, Dice is also a loop machine, it seems that the kite is asking you to loop him everytime :D
Evo is between Rebel and Dice, you can unhook, jump easily, good hanging time, it handle best on gusty condition But first if you want to unhook Dice is the paradise, also for jumping can jump high, hang time is not so good like rebel and evo and you need to heli loop your kite if you jump over than 7m sometimes or use more techniques for landing.
Dice is my favorite kite at this moment, it push me to get another level.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Why do you not like the Rebel? All three kites really are very good. Much, much better than anything most people started with. Unless there is a strong reason you do not want a Rebel, just keep using it. I do not think that at your stage right now it makes sense to spend money for a different kite.

This is coming from a guy that LOVES the Dice.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Buy another Rebel to cover a wider windrange. Its the perfect kite to make big progression on because of its stabilitie, huge windrange and easy handling and relaunch.

Orestisn1993
Rare Poster

Postby Orestisn1993 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:41 pm

It is obvious that Evo is best fitted to me in that point so now i doubt a little bit in terms of size. If i go with a 12m Evo i will have a lot of power but in terms of technique will i be able to progress.my main goal is to jump on a Dice because that is the kite style that i like so if i go with a smaller size 11m i will be forced to pop harder for example to hit the same jump i was hitting with my rebel. Does this make sense or do i have to go with 12m kite. I am riding in 16-22 knots and i do own a amaller kite a neo 7m. Usually i ride in 16-20knots.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Orestisn1993 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:41 pm
It is obvious that Evo is best fitted to me in that point so now i doubt a little bit in terms of size. If i go with a 12m Evo i will have a lot of power but in terms of technique will i be able to progress.my main goal is to jump on a Dice because that is the kite style that i like so if i go with a smaller size 11m i will be forced to pop harder for example to hit the same jump i was hitting with my rebel. Does this make sense or do i have to go with 12m kite. I am riding in 16-22 knots and i do own a smaller kite a neo 7m. Usually i ride in 16-20knots.
No. Keep it simple. Go with the kite for the conditions. If you do otherwise, you're just limiting your range and enjoyment. If you're overpowered on your 12m Rebel in the normal conditions you ride, then size down the Evo to 11m. Forget the Dice. That's your future kite for when you're unhooking. :)

Don't worry about your 7m. It doesn't have any relevance to your questions on riding in 15-20kn. If you're asking about building a quiver, a 12 to 7 kite size difference is a bit too big for two kites, unless your typical wind is 15-20kn and then 30kn+ with not a lot in between. Always size your kites depending on your wind conditions. If you want to create an overlap, the general recommendation is 3 or 2 sizes. For a 12m, generally the quiver will be 12-9-7m. An 11-9-7m quiver also works. As an example, my current quiver is:
15m Rebel: 15-20kn
12m Rebel: 20-25kn
10m Orbit: 25-30kn
9m Orbit: 30kn+
(obviously I ride these kites in larger wind ranges depending on conditions, but you get the idea)

Return to “Kitesurfing”