Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ram air first session damage

Forum for kitesurfers
nayy
Frequent Poster

Ram air first session damage

Postby nayy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi all,

On the first session i damaged my brand new ram air kite ...
Fell from my foilboard with the kite low. It tip- stalled, the lines tangled and the kite fell into the water.
It refused to restart, Probably due to the tangles.
I was very close (70meter) to shore, swam towards The kite and then to shore ... Did this carefully not to entangle the lines or to pull on them...
Arrived at the shore i noticed a tear in the kite.
(See attached pictures)
Flew only 1 hour in 8-9knots no hard crashes, no bashing, almost no waves that day ...

The brand refuses guarantee !!!

I won’t name any brand names, But it’s one of the big brands.... very dissapointed ... They are not taking their customers seriously...

Luckily the shop gives good support and will do the repair at it’s own expense ...

Did any of you also damage this type of kites so easily ?

Nayy
Attachments
99B1B2E1-FD3E-4E6A-880A-4B7FC8FBDC4B.jpeg
BF2E3764-F5D8-48C7-979E-DF142BA9AB1E.jpeg

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram air first session damage

Postby jatem » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:34 am

Might be a good time to try a peak 4 while the HL is in the repair shop? Single skins can handle a lot more abuse, they are cheaper, more playful, and they won't fall in the water so easily.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:49 pm

One of the things you need to be very careful of..... pulling a foil kite onto shore when it is a bag of water. The weight is deceiving and significant and puts tremendous strain on seams. Not saying this is the case but a manufacturer has no way of knowing what actually happened....they do know their computer based cutting and manufacturing tolerances and frequency and appearance of certain types of issues....and probably make their call based on that large data set. We have huge numbers of sessions on that brand....and in free ride situations these things eventually happen. Unfortunate that it was on your first ride! Foils bring many wonderful benefits but they are a bit Ferrari like from a care and maintenance perspective. Goes with the territory.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Well it's an easy repair and the kite should look and fly like new. The repair will not weaken the kite at all if done well. Can't blame the manufacturer for not providing a warranty after a crash, no matter how light. Maybe it's not the right type of kite for you?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Not that easy repair, unfortunately. I mean if done professionally, not making some hack fixes. If done properly there's no (greater) risk it will damage on that point again. Kite flying properties won't be affected.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:49 pm
One of the things you need to be very careful of..... pulling a foil kite onto shore when it is a bag of water. The weight is deceiving and significant and puts tremendous strain on seams.
This is for sure the reason of the damage. There are several videos about packing up a foil kite in deep water, if you're sure you can't relaunch your kite pack up and them swim back to the shore.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm
Can't blame the manufacturer for not providing a warranty after a crash, no matter how light.
Well we as a consumer can always buy from a manufacturer with 12 month free repair warranty.

But this kite can be professionally repaired by paraglider or parachute repair shop, if no kite repair shop nearby.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:00 pm

I had to fix a foil that got damaged when the chicken loop line broke, followed by the leash, which let the kite drift into the surf, and got hit by waves on the wave in. Luckily yours is only 1 cell, mine was at least 4 (with rib damage too). You will need a seam ripper. Rinse and dry the kite. Open the trailing edge by popping the stitches. Pull the the inside of the cell so it is inside out. Pop all of the stitches of the ripped black portion. You could mend the ripped black portion with black sail tape. Sew the sail tape to the fabric. Use a clothes iron on a low heat setting for sail repair tape to fuse to fabric. Sew the kite back together, making sure to have the stitches line up with the existing holes. You may want to hand sew for everything to line up, then follow up with a machine to secure. When the repair is done, sew up the tailing edge. Don't double back your stitches, until the tailing edge is stretched out, you don't want for it to shrink.
These users thanked the author sflinux for the post (total 2):
geokite (Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 pm) • nayy (Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:04 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:49 pm
..... pulling a foil kite onto shore when it is a bag of water. The weight is deceiving and significant and puts tremendous strain on seams. Not saying this is the case but a manufacturer has no way of knowing what actually happened....
Sure... but I did not do this ... did not pull the full kite on shore... I noticed the tear in the water when I arrived on shore... kite still in the water ...

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm
Well it's an easy repair and the kite should look and fly like new. The repair will not weaken the kite at all if done well. Can't blame the manufacturer for not providing a warranty after a crash, no matter how light. Maybe it's not the right type of kite for you?
if this is normal, than 90% of the ram air kites would have that damage in the first 10 sessions...

the shop owner himself only had 1 same case, and that was from crashing the kite on the front really hard...

Return to “Kitesurfing”