Ram air first session damage

Forum for kitesurfers
nayy
Frequent Poster

Re: Ram air first session damage

Postby nayy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:54 am
If your lines was tangled, as you said (kite was, same thing), and you pull the bar, or roll the bar up and pull even a few meters, when water inside, it seems ALL load was on this very connection point, so it ripped apart.

Bad luck, as usually load is spread over many connection points yes, but if tangled "unlucky" so stress is on one single point, load from either the wind when pulling and trying to relaunch, or from packing up where you roll and pull the lines, can be the cause.

Bugger, but get it fixed, will most likely never happen again, for many reasons :naughty:

8) Peter
bridle lines were tangled (kite tip stalled) but I did not pull on the lines... I knew they were fragile...
Even the shop owner was surprised to see the tear... the shop will pay for the repair...

nayy
Last edited by nayy on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 am

That's a good shop knowing Ozone.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 am

nayy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 pm
bridle lines were tangled (kite tip stalled) but I did not pull on the lines... I knew they were fragile...
Even the shop owner was surprised to see the tear...
Honestly, hearing these sorts of stories about ram airs is really horrifying.
:pump:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm

nayy wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
If your lines was tangled, as you said (kite was, same thing), and you pull the bar, or roll the bar up and pull even a few meters, when water inside, it seems ALL load was on this very connection point, so it ripped apart.

Bad luck, as usually load is spread over many connection points yes, but if tangled "unlucky" so stress is on one single point, load from either the wind when pulling and trying to relaunch, or from packing up where you roll and pull the lines, can be the cause.

Bugger, but get it fixed, will most likely never happen again, for many reasons :naughty:

8) Peter
Even the shop owner was surprised to see the tear... the shop will pay for the repear...

nayy
FWIW, they are actually incredibly tough in normal conditions. You only have to go through a forced (last resort) removal of a foil kite from a tree or structure to get a sense for it.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:36 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm
nayy wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
Even the shop owner was surprised to see the tear... the shop will pay for the repear...

nayy
FWIW, they are actually incredibly tough in normal conditions. You only have to go through a forced (last resort) removal of a foil kite from a tree or structure to get a sense for it.
I have a very difficult launch and sadly this summer has seen 4 kites in the trees including my brand new Sonic3. :cry: :oops:

Amazing no damage but I think I stressed the fabric on one. Mostly I’m concerned with uneven bridle stretch.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Put my 12m Soul in a tree and ripped a seam along an intake along with some other internals getting it out. After the repairs were done I checked the bridles and did a long mixer test prior to flying it again. Absolutely no problems, just normal minor shrinkage and did not have to adjust anything. First time out after repairs, the kite flew perfectly. Now I stay far away from trees...

Return to “Kitesurfing”