Ram air first session damage

Forum for kitesurfers
nayy
Medium Poster

Re: Ram air first session damage

Postby nayy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm
Not that easy repair, unfortunately. I mean if done professionally, not making some hack fixes. If done properly there's no (greater) risk it will damage on that point again. Kite flying properties won't be affected.
it will be sent back to the factory ... only drawback this will take months...

nayy
Medium Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm

This is for sure the reason of the damage. There are several videos about packing up a foil kite in deep water, if you're sure you can't relaunch your kite pack up and them swim back to the shore.
I did not pull a kite full of water on the shore... of course this would damage a kite...

I knew these kites were fragile... really took care of it ...

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pmaggie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am

nayy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I did not pull a kite full of water on the shore... of course this would damage a kite...

I knew these kites were fragile... really took care of it ...
No need to pull it on the shore to make the damage, it's enough to pull the kite in the water without rolling and packing it.

IWB2
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 am

Nayy, if the kite fell from sky as in those light winds with a light impact, I would be very surprised if a tear was caused. However if kite was hammered into water multiple times, I guess there would be a greater risk of a tear. If the kite was floating on the surface while you swam to shore then the kite should be fine. There could be more argument if your kite had taken on lots of water and you were dragging it out of the water and onto the beach. Based on everything I read, I would say you have a case to press for more. However, like in many cases, (not saying that this is you), the user may fail to disclose other key information that would have contributed to the damage.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:40 am

Unfortunately your experience with RAM AIR DISASTERS is all too common. Here are some similar disasters:

REPAIRS & COMPLEXITY
Ram airs are shockingly complex. They have over 1000 parts, many of which require regular tweaking e.g. http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374470 Ram air repairs are a LOT more expensive eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4612 Trained PARACHUTE repairers are often needed for big rips. Bills >$1000 are common, eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2348790 Ram air companies sometimes refuse to honour warranties, e.g. the case above where the kite was <1 year old.
RAM AIRS SINK

Given enough time, ALL ram airs eventually become hopelessly waterlogged, un-relaunchable, and unable to support body weight.
eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346569
eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 90#p608890
eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6&p=617396
eg http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2&p=704984
eg http://www.foilzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8130

The following is an example of "diraklib's" experience with ram airs in wind dropouts:
diraklib wrote:"the SA-19 is huge and can whack you silly if you let it get down wind of you in a low wind launch. It is downright scary - be ready with the QR at all times if not up and riding!!! I can't say I agree with claims that you can ride the SA-19 in anything lower than a steady 8 knots. I made a personal choice to not ride the SA-19 any more. It went down twice in lulls and managed to bow-tie on the way down - there was no way to relaunch. I was not as lucky as others that self rescued. My kite was full of water by the time I dragged my very tired and frustrated a$$ to shore. It sounds simple, "wrap the lines around the bar, fold the kite in half, roll it up on your board and paddle in"... noooo... there are lines everywhere under water that wrap around your feet as you are trying to manipulate the kite. You just pray that a gust won't pop the kite up and slice of an appendage. The kite ... is just too scary when it goes down. My attitude now is - if my LEI won't fly, I shouldn't be on the water. Anyone interested in a slightly used SA2-19m??? Cheap???"
For the full epiphany, checkout http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=40

The following is the experience of "pmaggie" with ram airs in wind dropouts:
pmaggie wrote:I rode foils only a few times, so these are really my two cents. The problem I experieced with foils in very light wind when they suddenly fall. In my home spot, in very light wind days, sometimes the wind really goes to zero for 1 minute or so. When this happen, both foils and inflatables suddenly fall. In this cases, my inflatable, since it's far heavier than a foil, fall directly into the water with no line tangling and I just have to wait for a gust to relaunch (when possible, that means about 7 knots for my Core 17). When a foil falls with no wind, being very light, it's common that its lines roll over it and became completely tangled. At that point, it's not that easy to relaunch.
The other big problem with foils in very light wind is when the wind completely stops. With an inflatable, you just get your kite and swim attached to your little floating boat. With a foil, you have 20 sqm of tissue to carry home with you!
For the full story, checkout: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2376332

Here is the experience of "FredBGG" with a line failure:
FredBGG wrote:The other day I had a front line fail.
Wind was slightly off shore...
I really needed a tow to the beach.
I had the kite safely on the 5th line folded in half (flysurfer Foil)
I waved down two kiters.... both expert judging by their riding.
Both refused to help.
One even yelled if you can't relaunch it's your problem.
Anyway after a difficult ordeal in the surf and current I got back to the beach.
I had to rest a bit but my board was still out there.
For the full admission http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2362065
The problem here isn't with the other kiters, it's with Fred's choice of kite. If Fred had an inflatable, he would have been able to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore. The other kiters refusing to help is understandable: Fred opted for less safe equipment. It's his problem and he shouldn't impose on others to make up for his equipment deficiencies. Also, towing a ram air to shore is like towing a sleeping bag full of water - difficult and dangerous.

Ignore the lies. Ram air kites are shockingly inferior to inflatables.

:pump: ..... Pumpy

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Pumpy! Welcome back!
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:
Pump me up (Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 am)
Rating: 8.33%

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT
Has thanked: 0

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Maybe are the new lighter materials (but less strong).

I have a HL v1 and had a chrono v2 before that drinked a lot of water and never had any issue like that, just a bit of color fading.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 pm

I’m not surprised. I had a Chrono V1 tear itself apart due to bridle failure which was a known recall and still Ozone wouldn’t repair. Had the kite shop do it and still had to pay for the shipping to Vietnam. Took about a month and a half.

Just one of the many reasons why I recommend Flysurfer to riders new to foil kites(please don’t call them ram airs). That 12 month repair warranty that covers EVERYTHING but purposely done damage is fantastic.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:16 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 pm
I’m not surprised. I had a Chrono V1 tear itself apart due to bridle failure which was a known recall and still Ozone wouldn’t repair. Had the kite shop do it and still had to pay for the shipping to Vietnam. Took about a month and a half.
Unfortunately there are MANY similar stories about ram air kites self-destructing and/or poor warranty service from ram companies.

Please do yourself a favour and trade-in your ram airs for inflatables. You won’t regret it and you might get enough cash from your ram air kites to buy a basket of groceries.

:pump: ..... Pumpy

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha