Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Sunglasses & Kite - what to use?

Postby lindseym » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 am

cwood wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:04 am
I don't know what Lip glasses has on their lenses but its just never an issue. Expensive but worth every penny because you just don't notice them being on.
Yes, I've used (and lost) tons of glasses over the years and Lips have lasted. I agree - never really notice when they are on and they seem to repel water fairly well. You HAVE to wash the lenses after a session though to ensure the salt doesn't mess up your lenses. Last year in Hood at AWSI I had a crash so bad that one of my lenses popped out lol. They gave me a killer deal on a replacement lens. Great company. As an alternative to check out is Shady Rays. Some of their glasses have the nano within their lenses but I'm partial to the Lips.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:07 am

lindseym wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 am
cwood wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:04 am
I don't know what Lip glasses has on their lenses but its just never an issue. Expensive but worth every penny because you just don't notice them being on.
Yes, I've used (and lost) tons of glasses over the years and Lips have lasted. I agree - never really notice when they are on and they seem to repel water fairly well. You HAVE to wash the lenses after a session though to ensure the salt doesn't mess up your lenses. Last year in Hood at AWSI I had a crash so bad that one of my lenses popped out lol. They gave me a killer deal on a replacement lens. Great company. As an alternative to check out is Shady Rays. Some of their glasses have the nano within their lenses but I'm partial to the Lips.
Their customer service is stellar.

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby mrbig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Around Cape TOwn most kiting is done in the afternoon into a setting sun and it can be a battle to see without polarized glasses - in my experience.
I guess one can use any decent sport glasses - but I found a pair of Invu 2407C "unbreakable" - after 2 seasons they still look perfect.
Before every session I wash them with warm soapy water and when dry treat them with a hydrophobic (like RainX).
For the most of it they stay cleanish and fog-free. :D

I'ts also been years since I have lost glasses - cut thin rings from "pool noodle" and weave into sport strap. Voila they float.
20200729_143550.jpg
These users thanked the author mrbig for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:07 pm

I would also look at a pair of spoggles. They are generally used in factory / plant work as safety glasses that are splash resistant as well so they help keep water from splashing in. They are inexpensive and you can get polarized ones as well. Another option are safety glasses that are polarized. They are cheap and you can treat either type with what was mentioned above. I almost pulled the trigger on a expensive pair a while back and decided not to after losing a cheap pair and figured it wasnt worth it.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Lip is the best quality for vision and impact safety. Also, great retention system.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes for sure https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/ is the way to go.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Never wash your glasses with soap. Let warm water run over glasses for a while, both sides. It can be good to let them just soak in water a while, if takes time to dissolve the salts.Then shake/ bump off water onto a towel. Use a clean paper towel or micro cloth to lightly remove any water remaining.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:17 am

I’ve heard Rain-X works.

Return to “Kitesurfing”