Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Doubts about which gear I need for my first equipment.

Forum for kitesurfers
miesro
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Delta de l'Ebre
Gear: I rent it for now :D
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Doubts about which gear I need for my first equipment.

Postby miesro » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Hello guys, As a beginner I am considering to get North Evo 2011, how is the re-launch going to be compared with more modern kites? In my lessons I am using a newer kite and the re-launch is being really easy.

Would be the re-launch on the evo 2011 easy while using 4 lines?

In general terms, Would you recommend this kite for a beginner or I would progress better with a newer kite?
Last edited by miesro on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Re: North Evo 2011 re-launch

Postby Blackened » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:34 am

miesro wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Hello guys, As a beginner I am considering to get this kite, how is the re-launch going to be compared with more modern kites? In my lessons I am using a newer kite and the re-launch is being really easy.

In general terms, Would you recommend this kite for a beginner or I would progress better with a newer kite?
North (now Duotone) went to a single front line safety in 2015, so if you're looking to buy a kite, then don't buy that one. If it's basically free and you have a giant open area with no obstacles or people, then you could give it a go. Personally, I would go with a newer 3 strut all around as your first kite like a Duotone Evo, Naish Pivot (or Triad now?), North Reach, etc. They have softer bar pressure, easier to turn, much better relaunch, and very forgiving. You will progress quicker with a softer kite, if only because the falls (and supermans!) won't hurt as bad, so you won't lose as much confidence when you have a bad fall.

In summary, can you learn on it? Yes. It was the kite I did my lessons with way back. There are now better, safer kites, but have a higher price point. And by safer I mean the dual front line safety sometimes got tangled in itself and didn't fully depower the kite when it flagged out.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
miesro (Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

miesro
Rare Poster

Postby miesro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am

Blackened wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:34 am
miesro wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Hello guys, As a beginner I am considering to get this kite, how is the re-launch going to be compared with more modern kites? In my lessons I am using a newer kite and the re-launch is being really easy.

North (now Duotone) went to a single front line safety in 2015, so if you're looking to buy a kite, then don't buy that one. If it's basically free and you have a giant open area with no obstacles or people, then you could give it a go. Personally, I would go with a newer 3 strut all around as your first kite like a Duotone Evo, Naish Pivot (or Triad now?), North Reach, etc. They have softer bar pressure, easier to turn, much better relaunch, and very forgiving. You will progress quicker with a softer kite, if only because the falls (and supermans!) won't hurt as bad, so you won't lose as much confidence when you have a bad fall.

In summary, can you learn on it? Yes. It was the kite I did my lessons with way back. There are now better, safer kites, but have a higher price point. And by safer I mean the dual front line safety sometimes got tangled in itself and didn't fully depower the kite when it flagged out.
Thank you for your reply, i am quite lost when looking second hand gear and your comment really helped me.

Is there some criteria I can use to know which kites are good for learning now a days and which are not? Like +2015? allaround style? 3 struts is important or there are also 4 struts kites for beginners?

I am right now looking at ZEEKO NOTUS REV 2015, ozone catalyst 2015, peter lynn swell 2015, Cabrinha Switchblade 2018 (this one is 4 struts).

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 am

In general, the all around kites or freeride kites tend to be the best for learning. Wave kites aren't bad either. Basically, you just want something that relaunches well and is quite forgiving. If you see something available, just go to the company website. They usually have a description of what the kite is designed to do.

I haven't used/read anything about the Zeeko or the PL. The Catalyst is likely the best learning kite out of the ones you've listed. The Switchblade is a great kite and not bad for learning on.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Blackened has given good advice. A decent example of a 2011 Evo should be fine to learn on. As pointed out there are better more modern kites but it is not like the old days. I would estimate the 2011 Evo to be 80=90% better for a beginner than the early C kites I learnt on. However, I would estimate a recent kite to be ~15% better than the 2011 Evo. Also good conditions with the Evo would still be better than crappy conditions with the latest kite.

It is natural for beginners to worry about relaunch but once you have a semblance of control and realise that the priority is to stay in control of the kite you should not be dropping it that often. But in any case, as a beginner you should only be riding in an area where if you drop the kite and can’t relaunch you will just be drifting back to safety.

No doubt you have heard the adage “ don’t go out farther than you can swim “, but in truth I am more interested in knowing where I will drift in the event of a breakage. Knowing where you will drift is particularly pertinent to beginners because they usually ride less powered and the don’t have the skills for light wind relaunch. Of course if you are forced to learn on a small beach relaunch becomes a much higher priority. In which case practice relaunching in the shallows!

Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:08 pm

My first kite was a Catalyst (it is still alive having been sold a couple of times by people also using it to progress from beginner to intermediate). Brilliant kite for its use in my opinion. Almost bounces off the water when you relaunch. Very stable at 12 o'clock (which typically people learning spend more time at than more experienced riders) and predictable power.

Cannot say if it is better than the others, but for learning you cannot go wrong with the Catalyst in my opinion.

I believe mine was the 2016 version. Couldn't tell if you that makes much of a difference. My guess very limited. I remember back then that I often saw the graphics I believe is from the earlier model (not my favorite graphics, but who cares for your first kite - the new Ozones are a lot cleaner).

miesro
Rare Poster

Postby miesro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Blackened wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 am
In general, the all around kites or freeride kites tend to be the best for learning. Wave kites aren't bad either. Basically, you just want something that relaunches well and is quite forgiving. If you see something available, just go to the company website. They usually have a description of what the kite is designed to do.

I haven't used/read anything about the Zeeko or the PL. The Catalyst is likely the best learning kite out of the ones you've listed. The Switchblade is a great kite and not bad for learning on.
Herman wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 pm
Blackened has given good advice. A decent example of a 2011 Evo should be fine to learn on. As pointed out there are better more modern kites but it is not like the old days. I would estimate the 2011 Evo to be 80=90% better for a beginner than the early C kites I learnt on. However, I would estimate a recent kite to be ~15% better than the 2011 Evo. Also good conditions with the Evo would still be better than crappy conditions with the latest kite.

It is natural for beginners to worry about relaunch but once you have a semblance of control and realise that the priority is to stay in control of the kite you should not be dropping it that often. But in any case, as a beginner you should only be riding in an area where if you drop the kite and can’t relaunch you will just be drifting back to safety.

No doubt you have heard the adage “ don’t go out farther than you can swim “, but in truth I am more interested in knowing where I will drift in the event of a breakage. Knowing where you will drift is particularly pertinent to beginners because they usually ride less powered and the don’t have the skills for light wind relaunch. Of course if you are forced to learn on a small beach relaunch becomes a much higher priority. In which case practice relaunching in the shallows!
Havre wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:08 pm
My first kite was a Catalyst (it is still alive having been sold a couple of times by people also using it to progress from beginner to intermediate). Brilliant kite for its use in my opinion. Almost bounces off the water when you relaunch. Very stable at 12 o'clock (which typically people learning spend more time at than more experienced riders) and predictable power.

Cannot say if it is better than the others, but for learning you cannot go wrong with the Catalyst in my opinion.

I believe mine was the 2016 version. Couldn't tell if you that makes much of a difference. My guess very limited. I remember back then that I often saw the graphics I believe is from the earlier model (not my favorite graphics, but who cares for your first kite - the new Ozones are a lot cleaner).
My badget is limited but I think I prefer to spend a bit more to get a Kite I can use for long time and I will feel satisfied buying it than to get an old Kite that I will always have a bad feeling about it. If needed I will wait until november/december for if better deals come.

I will keep checking ads and maybe I will mention you in this thread to get your opinion before I get anything :D

Thank you guys for your comments, it's really helpful.

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Re: Doubts about which gear I need for my first equipment.

Postby cor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:19 pm

In my opinion
-Any allround or freeride kite not older than 2015 will do. A 2011 Evo is a good kite but really old and you will soon run into issues like loose valves etc. Also, I remember that the Evo 2011 were quite grunty. You want something more forgiving and playful. Do not invest too much here, because you will sell it soon.
-Do not invest too much money in a good board. Many beginners do, but it actually does not really matter at the beginning. You won´t notice too much of a difference anyway when doing your first jumps, gybes, etc., so just buy any ok looking 136cm Twintip.
-Instead, invest a bit more money AND time in a wetsuit and a harness that fit you well. These two are the only parts you will keep longer than your kites or your boards. Remember that jeans that you bought too small because you thought it would fit one day? It´s the same with a wetsuit or harness; If it doesn´t fit, you don´t want to go out. I am seeing this very often so don´t make that mistake.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT
Has thanked: 0

Postby BOEMIX » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 pm

My experience with a mate that started kiting last year, is that don't buy anything more than 4-5 years old.

Two kite ripped windows from leading to trailing edge, one was an old Ozone Catalyst 12m from 2012, and the other one a Cabrinha Chaos 9m from 2013.

My advice is get a newer model Evo if you like it. It's going to be more expensive but the trouble you could avoid getting into with a newer kite is well worth it.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:45 pm

I regularly fly old kites without too much trouble but I am not in a sunny area. How long a kite lasts is greatly effected by the amount of UV exposure. Even a new kite may split if you tomahawk it hard enough but it becomes more vulnerabie after a few years of sunshine. In a sunny area frequent use, 5yrs is old but you could probably double that for light use in a dull climate. Cool storage probably extends the life of valve glue, more likely to have valve trouble in the tropics.

Arguably kites are built to be destroyed and the art is to maximise the enjoyment of wearing them out! No point in cherishing them imho.

Return to “Kitesurfing”