Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Hawaii close down due to Covid 19

Postby UKSurf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:09 am
He probably offered but was turned down. It sounds like the business couldn’t sustain itself and wasn’t viable anymore so it’s time for it to end. The $7,800 monthly rent seems really high.
The rent did seem a bit high but I look on Google Maps and it is a pretty big retail unit so it is not that surprising they are having to pay a fair bit. I would imagine at the peak of the windsurfing craze in the 1980s this was a very successful business. A real piece of watersports history gone. Smaller shops with lower overheads are probably in a better position to weather this economic hurricane, I would imagine the rent for somewhere like Real Watersports must be pretty high.

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq

Postby or6 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36 pm

"Somewhere, a landlord is laughing until he wets his pants".

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Businesses that built strong online sales, or for restaurants the drive up windows or take out orders, before the virus are better able to survive.

She mentioned regulators stopping them from giving lessons and that hurt sales to new kiters getting into the sport. And online orders didn’t work because of shipping costs from Hawaii.

Also trends from windsurfing (rentals for visitors and sales), to kitesurfing and now wing surfing at even lower cost I think since gear is probably cheaper in total. Cost of hydrofoil boards has helped some increase sales.

Hawaii real estate cost is so high that retail is tough and the state cut off tourists with 14 day quarantine upon arrival.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:46 am

This is the store I bought my first ever kite in. Super sad to see it them close. Hawaii is taking a huge hit on tourism.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 am

Naish AR4 on 2 lines. Always eyes as big as saucers and one step away from hospitalization. Getting dragged over/under water and on land. Death runs. Bruises. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 am

+ pumping for 10 minutes with those toy pumps meant for party balloons.....

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 pm

sarc wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 am
+ pumping for 10 minutes with those toy pumps meant for party balloons.....
Laugh - yes - I think they blue colored and you held it in one hand and pushed the plunger in with other while trying to keep the end all the way into the kite or the air would leak out. At least those first kites were only like 5 meters so didn’t hold a lot of air.

No depower on those kites so gusts would hurt.

Return to “Kitesurfing”