Style: This 'n that
Gear: Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula
Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5
Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Aluua backstalling

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 pm

I understand where you're coming from but to be fair to Ocean Rodeo, in very uncertain times where so many unforeseeable events can occur it's very difficult to give reliable delivery estimates within 'acceptable' confidence limits. For example, even a few days ago the timing of the Port of Montreal longshoreman strike could not have been reliably forecast. There have to be only a few such unforseen events to occur for timings to be completely messed up.
Pana wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 pm
Pana wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 am
I don’t believe that, the objective is to get a clear statement on delivery timing because the delivery date was pushed back twice.
Update after a few private xchanges with OR sales;

It appears that part of the statement they made is not quite true. Not ALL reservd kites will be sent this week as per the xample my 12 m Roam that is to be sent in 2 to 3 weeks. Hope OR will clarify their post as they mentionned to me they would do.

I understand the sqeeze, timing and priority to deliver, and also appreciate the direct follow up offered (with options to change kites to a model readily available, good moove) but once again it appears the delivery date is....

Just hope they are not sending trough the port of montreal, that are on strike !

Pierrot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 pm

GregK wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:22 pm
Pierrot wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:20 pm
Quick update ... This is what I would call outstanding customer service :thumb:
Matches my experience with OR too, definitely the best customer service in the business.

Looking forward to a report after you're back from your trip - guessing you'll change the title of this thread after flying your gold Roam.
It wasn’t my post in the first place... not my style to complain on a forum...
But I’ll definitely post reviews after my trip in the general aluula post which is a bit more « positive » than this one :-)

Pana
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Silver Sands, Paracuru
Style: Smooth
Gear: Ozone Enduro 6-7-8-9-10-12-14
Nomad wave TT 140-40/ 143-42.5/ 153-43
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pana » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 am

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 pm
I understand where you're coming from but to be fair to Ocean Rodeo, in very uncertain times where so many unforeseeable events can occur it's very difficult to give reliable delivery estimates within 'acceptable' confidence limits. For example, even a few days ago the timing of the Port of Montreal longshoreman strike could not have been reliably forecast. There have to be only a few such unforseen events to occur for timings to be completely messed up.
Pana wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 pm
Pana wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 am
I don’t believe that, the objective is to get a clear statement on delivery timing because the delivery date was pushed back twice.
Update after a few private xchanges with OR sales;

It appears that part of the statement they made is not quite true. Not ALL reservd kites will be sent this week as per the xample my 12 m Roam that is to be sent in 2 to 3 weeks. Hope OR will clarify their post as they mentionned to me they would do.

I understand the sqeeze, timing and priority to deliver, and also appreciate the direct follow up offered (with options to change kites to a model readily available, good moove) but once again it appears the delivery date is....

Just hope they are not sending trough the port of montreal, that are on strike !

I hear you, and to quote a known American, nobody can understand that as much as I do. Kudos to OR they have been very professional about my greevances ( read frustration). Apologies about not seeing they modified their post. In retrospect and in the context a regular update on the OR website of the delivery status would have been a good thing. Look forward on reading feedback from the users.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42

Postby iriejohn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:13 am

Pana wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 am
I hear you, and to quote a known American, nobody can understand that as much as I do.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Got to ride 10m Roam and 14.5m Flite Aluula today. Neither kite was on an OR bar...

Very light onshore wind. I was foiling, and was going to use my 10m Drifter and 25m lines until I got to the beach and spotted the demo kites...

The Roam was a disappointment because the jackass hadn't pumped it up properly. Every time I loaded it up to pull me onto the board, the LE collapsed. I fluked up onto the board once and got in three tacks, before I put the kite into the water
Relaunch was very impressive -- just pull the line, and it went to the side of the window and up without any shenanigans. I would have had to old school a relaunch to get my Drifters up.
Kite didn't seem to have a lot of static grunt, and seemed to fly off the front lines more than I like. I'd like to try it again when I can pump it up...

Went back for the Flite and instantly had more power. It's the biggest kite I've flown in a couple of years, since the Contra 15m. So can't really comment on power except that it was obviously a bigger, slower kite and pulled like a truck...as I suspected it would. Again, not a lot of sheet-n-go grunt but apparent wind built nicely and it was fast.
As the sun set, the wind dropped off -- the wing foilers had to swim in but I still felt like I had plenty of power ... so long as I got through the gybe or tack cleanly and didn't have to work the kite, I could ride fine.
Plenty of hang time, average lift. Kind of how I remember the Contra but...

Obviously very light. The Flite felt like it weighed less than my 8m Switchblade :D

As has been mentioned already, the climb back up from a dive is unreal, and especially noticeable was when the wind was super light it didn't stall at the bottom, or at the edges of the window, needing a loop to recover.

And the drift on the big Flite was silly -- I could get on a swell and ride downwind at the kite and it'd drift back in the window, back down a bit and just sit there, then drop a wing tip and fly on when I got back on a tack.

Not my cup of tea, but very impressive.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post (total 2):
Digdawg (Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:57 pm) • iriejohn (Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42

Postby iriejohn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 pm
Obviously very light. The Flite felt like it weighed less than my 8m Switchblade :D
My Flite 14.5 Aluula weighs 2.60kg so probably true because (iirc?) the 8m Switchblade weighs about 3kg.

Return to “Kitesurfing”