Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding with a kidney transplant?

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:00 pm

My wife is a transplantation coordinator for 25 years and has worked with 100's of patients. That kidney is important to you.
I'd go to my doctor and discuss it. It's more or less the same physical stress as snowboarding. Show your doctor some videos of guys " mowing the lawn" on a TT to familiarize the doc with what you are going to do.
If you wish, I can ask my wife. PM me.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:28 am

mojorisin70 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:32 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, yes I am on immunosuppressants for my transplant. I plan to only be out on open water, mostly here in Jupiter. Yes I would have to be careful because of infections.

@Bille, very inspirational!
I have no excuse to get out there and give it a try. I'll get myself an impact vest and use a seat harness, and see how I do. Not planning on being out in crazy conditions. Just looking to get out on the water, casually cruise around.
I picked up a slingshot trainer to play around with before i take lessons.

Thanks!
I would talk to your doctor. You will probably have a few kitemares (losing control of your kite and getting dragged a bit), especially when learning so you have to be honest with yourself about your level of physical fitness and the kind of shape you are in. Your body needs to be able to take a bit of punishment and you might find yourself in a bad situation that you have to get yourself out of even if you are very careful about how you go about the sport. There might be some special considerations for your personal situation, but in my opinion someone in their 60s who is in good shape and still involved in sports could certainly learn to kitesurf. You want to get the right instructor who will make sure you learn in the right conditions.

From what I know of Billie's story it is an inspirational example of what someone can achieve if they want to - although I do not think most people have the mindset it takes to overcome those kind of obstacles and he is very much the exception - kitesurfing is an "extreme" sport. Go to one minute into this video to see what can happen if you lose control of your kite at the wrong time (btw I have kitesurfed for over a decade and never had anything like this happen to me - but then again I do not have the skill or the level of bonkers needed to jump near solid objects :) )

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:40 am

mojorisin70 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:09 pm
Hello fellas,

I am new here. I am a 70 year old retiree living here in South Florida, and I am interested in picking up the sport of kiteboarding. Whenever I am down at the beach here in my town, I see all the guys gliding along the water, and it looks like so much fun. I have no experience with water sports or wind sports, but I am in decent shape strength/ cardiovascular wise. My only concern, aside from being older in age, is that I have a transplanted kidney. Been with me for 8 years now. Feeling great, and keeping active with the gym, and biking. Am I kidding myself thinking this would be a good idea to try and learn this sport? I've been reading up, and its not as easy as it looks, and I'd imagine learning curve is steep for an old dog like myself. Do you think there would be high risk injury to my kidney? Any advice is appreciated fellas.
Thanks so much.
Honestly? With no experience with water sports/wind sports I'm not sure I would recommend starting at 70, with or without a transplanted kidney. You would have to be in very good shape, not "decent" shape & you would have to be above averagely "athletic" . The learning curve for kiteboarding is very hard - if you've never tried learning another sport that is "very hard" you may not have any conception of what you're getting yourself into. It's not like learning to play tennis, or golf - those are very hard to get good at ... but trying them is not hard at all.

Having said all that, it would not be impossible for you to learn how to kiteboard, but you would have to be committed to learning - it's not a sport that you can pick up in a couple of weekends. I would say it would be essential to have an experienced instructor & ideal learning conditions - learning in the ocean at Jupiter would be very tough. As others have suggested, Hatteras or Corpus Christi would be good places to learn in the US.

Kiter_from_Germany
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 110
Local Beach: Northern Sea, Netherlands
Style: intermediate Twin, Beginner Foil
Gear: Tubes: North rebel 6m, 8m, 11m, 14m, ozone catalyst 8, 10,14, edge 13m and others
Foil: pansh A15 9m, 12m, 18m
Gear: Anton MTrain, china foil and others
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Kiter_from_Germany » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 am

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 am
Welcome to the forum!! Go for it!! When I first saw kitesurfing in 2000 (I was 47), I told myself I have got to do this before I get too old. Little did I know then. Now I'm almost 67 and have kiting friends that are several years older than me, in particular an 80 year old friend from Canada.

For beach water quality you can check the Florida Healthy Beaches website for water quality - http://www.floridahealth.gov/environmen ... index.html It can get particularly bad in some areas when there is a lot of rain runoff or sewage spills.
Great,
am 56 kiting since 6yrs.
We should make a club!
:thumb:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Kiter_from_Germany wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 am

Great,
am 56 kiting since 6yrs.
We should make a club!
Can i join ; i'm 67 now ?

*Look for an impact vest PDF ; when the wind dies, you, "Will" float.

*Definitely the seat harness ; and a good sports helmet.

* Google search for a land buggy club in your aria ; it's a Great way to
get accustomed at flying a kite , and sitting while kiting , will target
those ab muscles, (especially if you use a buggy, with no seat-back
for support). I spent a full year on a land buggy, before i ever went
into the water with a kite, (that was 2002).
I got to 58-mph , with a (3-meter),2-Line slingshot trainer kite , on a three-wheeled
buggy ; that was done on Ivanpah dry lake, in 35-40mph wind.

* If you try the TT, (Twin Tip) board behind a boat ; tell the driver
to go Easy on the throttle, at start.

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2010/10/ ... lly-floyd/

Bille

Kiter_from_Germany
Medium Poster
Gear: Tubes: North rebel 6m, 8m, 11m, 14m, ozone catalyst 8, 10,14, edge 13m and others

Postby Kiter_from_Germany » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 pm
Kiter_from_Germany wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 am

Great,
am 56 kiting since 6yrs.
We should make a club!
Can i join ; i'm 67 now ?
Haha, why not?
let's make something worldwide?
All under100 agers welcome!

Years ago I started setting up oldmanjump.eu webpage, left it online but paused (basics learning Text set up in two languages, but I didnt create video footage due lack of promotion and interest.
Was a persinal exercise in webdesign also.)

Correctly done kiting is not dangerous and can bring all of us fun till ages.
Such a CM System (webpage) could be developed to a backbone of a club easily and support of information/meeting/knowledge base.

Focus always to a safe learning path, not bonebreaking ideas, more crusings.

Btw: Actually I start foiling, because bio/mechanical stress is much lower - so Idea is to have my sport in summer, Lowind, Family good time for 10s of years from now.

Pls pm, if there is interest of continuing...
Last edited by Kiter_from_Germany on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm 62. Started kiting while still "in my prime" - 20 years ago. Learning on the primitive equipment then was very hard ... but I was prepared for it by how hard it was learning to windsurf on the primitive equipment that was available in the early 80's.

Last two years been working on foiling. Again very difficult, but more than 20 years of kite skills are very helpful. I also believe foiling is a good route to go due "bio/mechanical stress" being lower. Also, the swimming is good exercise! :thumb:

I think anyone can learn to kite, if they are athletically inclined, in good shape & determined to succeed. Having two legs is also an asset, though apparently not essential! :wink:

Kiter_from_Germany
Medium Poster

Postby Kiter_from_Germany » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm
... Having two legs is also an asset, though apparently not essential! :wink:
you are right - it,'s not the case like some very brave guys show us.
A good example for mental strength....
... and the reason why a good and supporting community makes this sport great and is so important....

Evidence: one leg 'is enough' to get pro:

But you dont need either - there is no limit!

These users thanked the author Kiter_from_Germany for the post:
geron (Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

You have what many can only dream about. Unlimited time each day to do whatever you choose, and living right at a location. Go down there and talk to some of those guys. Don't touch anything and don't be offended if you get what seems to be a blow off. When things are good to go most want to get out there when they get the chance. Plenty of time for chat when the wind isn't blowing. And you don't need to be overly athletic to enjoy this.

slide
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes
Style: landboarding with a work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon decks/and now 6/8/10/12 soul, 15 spd5

Postby slide » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:55 pm

i'm 58 and i kite landboard on a hard beach and have been doing that since2003 , and i got kidney cancer grade 3 in 2009 , it was my right kidney ,it had a cancer in the middle of it the size of an apple, i had that removed in october 2009 , and then november 2011 i was diagnosed with kidney cancer secondry to my brain and was told jan 2012 "it was months not years"
i v'e had normal radiopherapy , cyber knife , gamma knife , and several medications, but september 11th 2018 i got my driving license back and went to my local beach that day to landboard and several sessions since , i'm type 1 diabetic too - i would have been to the beach more had it not been for covid, but i'm going when its an onshore , limiting to about 12 /14 mph at the moment as my spatial awareness is a little bit off but i am still going to keep doing this - i've got myself a little van some new kites and a huge interest to get better all the time and just love sliding about and jumping ,back in the day i was airbourne alot but i'm determined to keep my health up and enjoy kiting and with only my left kidney
lean about the wind window with a little fixed bridle on a beach and have fun as you improve and some lessons if you want to go into the water

if you was uk , i could have given you some land boarding lessons i got my soninlaw kite land boarding with a blade1 3.3 in no time ,about 2 weeks and i put him straight in a harness and taught how to deal with it

Return to “Kitesurfing”