Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Dwarfcraft and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Sharks off Cape Hatteras

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 am

In 35 years of windsurfing and kitesurfing at Cape Hatteras, admittedly mostly in the sound, I have only seen a few sharks. But last week on my only downwind run from Hatteras village to Frisco bathhouse I saw five sharks. The guys I rode with were playing in the waves and did not see any, but I was underpowered and instead was kiting outside and riding the swells. The sharks were perhaps 5-6 feet and had a beautiful brown/blue coloration and "typical" shape. I've been trying to identify them, but with such fleeting views it is unclear. I think I've narrowed it down to black-nosed and spinner. Just one other kiter who was riding in the ocean I talked to had seen one of them. It sure makes one get back up on a strapless surfboard quickly, although I doubt they are a real danger. (I know there was a kid bit in the shallows a week before, and I know of a kiter in Florida who was killed by small sharks, probably spinners, a few years ago.)

I've previously seen a similar one when kiting around the cape itself, and once in the sound. Other sightings were a large hammerhead which I hit the dorsal fin, and a sadly large thresher shark dead on the beach.

palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Re: Sharks off Cape Hatteras

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:34 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 am
In 35 years of windsurfing and kitesurfing at Cape Hatteras, admittedly mostly in the sound, I have only seen a few sharks. But last week on my only downwind run from Hatteras village to Frisco bathhouse I saw five sharks. The guys I rode with were playing in the waves and did not see any, but I was underpowered and instead was kiting outside and riding the swells. The sharks were perhaps 5-6 feet and had a beautiful brown/blue coloration and "typical" shape. I've been trying to identify them, but with such fleeting views it is unclear. I think I've narrowed it down to black-nosed and spinner. Just one other kiter who was riding in the ocean I talked to had seen one of them. It sure makes one get back up on a strapless surfboard quickly, although I doubt they are a real danger. (I know there was a kid bit in the shallows a week before, and I know of a kiter in Florida who was killed by small sharks, probably spinners, a few years ago.)

I've previously seen a similar one when kiting around the cape itself, and once in the sound. Other sightings were a large hammerhead which I hit the dorsal fin, and a sadly large thresher shark dead on the beach.
Nice - I used to see lot's of sharks while foiling in Palm Beach.

Is there any documentation on the incident with the kiter in Florida?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Dwarfcraft and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl- ... story.html

I think I conflated this with a recall of a kiter being struck by spinners that were migrating along the coast, something I've seen kiting at Stuart.

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 am

hey man,
I was reading your Cape Town daily logs before we went there in February ,
I live 2 hours away from Hatteras and kite there often , never seen one in the sound but definitely in the ocean , when we kite up here in Virginia Beach , we see sharks on the ocean as well , a lot of stingrays around here to feed on .

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl- ... story.html

I think I conflated this with a recall of a kiter being struck by spinners that were migrating along the coast, something I've seen kiting at Stuart.
In Florida, surfers are bitten frequently by spinners on the Atlantic coast. New Smyrna Beach, Florida, is known as the "shark bite capital of the world" (more shark bites there than any where else), but the biters there are usually relatively docile spinner sharks that typically bite and then let go (they are feeding and the taste of human flesh isn't pleasant). Spinners will usually send you to the hospital for some stitches, but then leave you with not much more than a good story to tell.

When we have a fatality from a shark bite in Florida, it's usually a bull shark. Bull sharks will attack and then relentlessly continue to attack. The Gulf Coast is the site of most of the bull shark attacks in Florida. Interestingly, bull sharks also travel up the rivers in Florida, and we've had bull shark fatalities well inland from the coast.

Several years ago, a child was killed around Hatteras Village in the OBX by a bull shark. They are present on both ocean and sound sides in the OBX, but generally stay far enough out in the sound that there aren't a lot of human encounters on sound side. Any way you look at it, bull sharks are bad news and you don't want to tangle with one. :o

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:42 am

I've never been in the water on the Atlantic coast when I did not see a shark. Seen many here on the Florida west coast. Got bit by a small blacktip years ago.

Besides it's getting close to Shark Week - https://www.discovery.com/shark-week
Got to watch Mike Tyson on August 9 at 9pm "Tyson versus Jaws: Rumble on the Reef". It's got to be funny. Last year they had Shaq week (Shaquille O'neal). They had a hard time outfitting him in scuba gear. Hilarious.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:15 pm

These would be good places to test those electric shark bite prevention devices to see if they really work.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:20 pm

We just had another fatality here in New England.....Great White kills a swimmer in Maine.. Cape Cod now has one of the highest concentration of GW on the planet...Little scary but the odds of getting killed are extremly low.. 8) 8) 8) 8)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Old joke
How can you tell if there are sharks around?
Dip your finger in, taste the water, if it taste salty there are sharks.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Want to freak yourself out? Try clicking on each of the white sharks tracked on this site and see how they cruise up and down the US east coast each season, including lots of time from Florida to North Carolina to Massachusetts, plus a few excursions into the Gulf of Mexico.

https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/?list

Return to “Kitesurfing”