Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Forum for kitesurfers
StellaBlu
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby StellaBlu » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm

Hello, I was wondering whether anybody had experience riding these two kites and could give me some feedback as to their differences. I have flown the Evo and was about to pull the trigger on a couple of the kites (9 and 12), but now I see the Reach and I'm wondering if I should wait to try that too, particularly since I can get the setup for a little bit cheaper.

I have seen the kitefinder.com YouTube video comparing the kites and it made it seem like they were extremely similar, but that's the only comparison I have seen.

I have been riding for four years and almost exclusively ride twin tip although I would like a kite that can be ridden on a foil as well. I ride waves and freeride and like to air and progress hooked tricks. Generally riding 16-35 knot winds. Thus far have generally ridden 5 strut kites and want something lighter and more versatile.

Thanks in advance

fguinda
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm
Local Beach: Sotogrande, Spain
Tarifa, Spain
Estepona, Spain
Style: Straplesss
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby fguinda » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:58 am

StellaBlu wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm
Hello, I was wondering whether anybody had experience riding these two kites and could give me some feedback as to their differences. I have flown the Evo and was about to pull the trigger on a couple of the kites (9 and 12), but now I see the Reach and I'm wondering if I should wait to try that too, particularly since I can get the setup for a little bit cheaper.

I have seen the kitefinder.com YouTube video comparing the kites and it made it seem like they were extremely similar, but that's the only comparison I have seen.

I have been riding for four years and almost exclusively ride twin tip although I would like a kite that can be ridden on a foil as well. I ride waves and freeride and like to air and progress hooked tricks. Generally riding 16-35 knot winds. Thus far have generally ridden 5 strut kites and want something lighter and more versatile.

Thanks in advance

patternw
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby patternw » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:31 pm

I've flown the past few year's versions of the Evo, as well as the Reach and feel like I could help you out here. Honestly, they're both really great kites. Based on your riding styles and preferences, I'd suggest the Reach. The Evo and Reach are both very fun twin-tip kites. The Reach jumps better than the Evo, but the Evo loops with a touch more power. Here's where you'll get the separation between the kites - foil and surf. For me, the Evo felt too heavy and needed to be attended to a bit more than a traditional surf kite (Drifter, Reo, SST, Carve, etc.) The Reach is 90% as good as any surf kite listed, and behaves just as well with a foil under you. It is light in the air, has the perfect amount of power/drift, and has ultimately turned into my favorite kite for that reason.

I'm like you, was looking for an all-around kite I could use for any discipline. The Reach is the first kite that does this well, in my opinion.

Hope it helps! Any questions, feel free to ask. Also - 12/9 is a great setup - I'm running that now. I've heard the 15 is really great, too!

Good luck!

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby purdyd » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Duotone lightened up the 2020 evo, tightened the canopy and removed the pullies which took it up a notch in foiling and drift.

I’m guessing that is why kitefinder gave an edge to the evo over the reach for foiling and light wind waves. But the reach better for twintip.
F0878BF8-F58B-4FF5-BC3E-A9936E5A2DFA.jpeg

User avatar
windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm
Style: surf/old school
Gear: North/Ozone/PLKB/Epic/Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Contact:

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby windsuks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:17 pm

patternw wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:31 pm
I've flown the past few year's versions of the Evo, as well as the Reach and feel like I could help you out here. Honestly, they're both really great kites. Based on your riding styles and preferences, I'd suggest the Reach. The Evo and Reach are both very fun twin-tip kites. The Reach jumps better than the Evo, but the Evo loops with a touch more power. Here's where you'll get the separation between the kites - foil and surf. For me, the Evo felt too heavy and needed to be attended to a bit more than a traditional surf kite (Drifter, Reo, SST, Carve, etc.) The Reach is 90% as good as any surf kite listed, and behaves just as well with a foil under you. It is light in the air, has the perfect amount of power/drift, and has ultimately turned into my favorite kite for that reason.

I'm like you, was looking for an all-around kite I could use for any discipline. The Reach is the first kite that does this well, in my opinion.

Hope it helps! Any questions, feel free to ask. Also - 12/9 is a great setup - I'm running that now. I've heard the 15 is really great, too!

Good luck!
I'd totally agree with the above, I have been so impressed with the Reach for foiling and have heard the same from many customers. North also mention that the kite really does excel at foiling, it is pretty much there foil kite after all.

walester
Rare Poster
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 am
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: Squamish
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Turks and Caicos
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7M Naish Pivot
9M Naish Pivot
North Orbit 9M
Naish Pivot 12M
Naish Pivot 14M
RRD Poison V3 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby walester » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm

I’m selling a 9M 2020 orbit in case you want to save some $$ and stick to a 5 strut. Flies very similar to the reach as I’ve tried them both.

patternw
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Any North Reach vs Duotone Evo comparisons?

Postby patternw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:32 am

walester wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm
I’m selling a 9M 2020 orbit in case you want to save some $$ and stick to a 5 strut. Flies very similar to the reach as I’ve tried them both.
I'd have to disagree here...Orbit is a totally different kite. Likes to ride with loads of power, very structured and solid feel. The Reach is much more dynamic. Orbit in a 9 or 10 in 25+ knots is an absolute riot, though!


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Averagejoel, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 29 guests