Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:19 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am
BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 am
Since replacement ball is impossible to find in a short time here in Italy (the original ball was lost in the sea), I used an Ozone stopper ball, but same thing happened again.
Then I tried a double knot like shown in the post above in order to have a bigger knot: it slipped again during a jump.
Seems like an issue with your flagging line thickness to me (safety line too thin), if it happened with the Ozone stopper too. This is definitely concerning to read this thread, Naish need to sort this out asap!. I have a standard 2020 ATB bar but my safety line looks fine and has never pulled through the safety. I would try the cabrinha stopper link above.
If only you could use a thicker flagout line so the knot is thick enough so it doesn't slip through the stopper.

But noo, the designers are too lazy to implement a 8mm hole through the chickenloop. So they are stuck with a bunch of bad fixes to try to get tiny knot to stay blocked under the stopper.
If they make the knot any bigger it doesn't pass through the chickenloop anymore, but instead of redesigning the chickenloop they focus on the stopper... :lol:
This. It's a cascade of shit design decisions.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tomlutz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm

evan wrote:
But noo, the designers are too lazy to implement a 8mm hole through the chickenloop. So they are stuck with a bunch of bad fixes to try to get tiny knot to stay blocked under the stopper.
If they make the knot any bigger it doesn't pass through the chickenloop anymore, but instead of redesigning the chickenloop they focus on the stopper... :lol:
Totally agree. After more than 10 years of development of chicken loops and safety solutions you pay about 400 bucks for an item that is simply not fit for purpose. I have given up and rather rely on my own judgement with my own solutions. Cheaper, less bulky, reliable - Tom

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:11 pm

A similar thing happened to me with a Slingshot Sentinel bar. But it was not with the flag line, but the other center line.

Because I applied wax on my trim rope and pigtails, some of you have said to me to check the break load of the line due to the fusion point of ski wax being close to the Dyneema. Therefore, I attach the 2 center lines to a fixed point and the chicken loop of the bar to my father's tractor (using a 500kg digital crane between the chickenloop and the tractor).
I was adding tension very slowly and was aiming to stop at 250 kg (Slingshot center lines should hold 350 kg / 800 lbs). But at around 160 kg, the small tiny knot blocking the line just above the trim clat went through the hole (first I thought the line snapped).
I am now planning to buy a small stainless steel ring (10mm) to replace that knot.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm
evan wrote:
Totally agree. After more than 10 years of development of chicken loops and safety solutions you pay about 400 bucks for an item that is simply not fit for purpose. I have given up and rather rely on my own judgement with my own solutions. Cheaper, less bulky, reliable - Tom
I have gone to Infexion QR that now gives me plenty of room for larger knot. Won’t help you in short term but this is another great advantage I see to that QR design.

For you - on an earlier bar I made, I ran into this problem. My solution was to put a small stainless washer inside the stopper ball. Only problem is you have to check it every session to be sure the edge of the washer is not cutting into the line.
- I never had a problem but I did worry I might!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:09 am

What about something like the Core Sensor system? Died that require special hardware or kite design?

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:10 am

Mlkiml wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Same happened here:

2020 ATB Torque bar, knot slipped out from ball and flag out line broke I believe at the same time.
I quick released, but didn't notice flag out line had broken, so the kite flew away. wind was side on so they rescued my kite on the beach.

Really not happy with what happened and wrote to Naish asking reason for this equipment failure.

Since replacement ball is impossible to find in a short time here in Italy (the original ball was lost in the sea), I used an Ozone stopper ball, but same thing happened again.
Then I tried a double knot like shown in the post above in order to have a bigger knot: it slipped again during a jump.

Now I'm trying to add an extra piece of line as advised in a previous post...

BTW I'm seriously considering buying a new control bar (not Naish ofc)
Same crap happened to me, did all the fixes above.
Broke two bungee flagout lines, lost kite twice (luckily I got it back both times). Had the knot pull through like 5 times with old stamped shitmetal line organizer, including mid jump. Replacement Naish bungee lines are not the right length, no available spares for the bars now due to Covid?

Bought North Navigator bar to replace and I am happy now.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 pm

This slingshot part might be a good replacement part for you. Its pretty sturdy and it won't deform - so knot should not pull thru.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 3.22.17 PM.png

Mlkiml
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 200lb
Local Beach: Sardinia Porto Pollo (ITA)
Como Lake Colico (ITA)
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Red Sea
Cape Town
Miami Beach
Florida Keys
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish: ATB Torque, Pivot 9, Pivot 12, Monarch 135, Motion 138
North: Navigator Bar
Slingshot: Compstick Guardian, Rally 6m, Rally 8m, RPM 11m, Angry Swallow 5'6
Nobile: NHP Split 142
Duotone: Capa 15m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mlkiml » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:16 pm

Update
Just to be sure I switched as well to a north navigator....

It has to mentioned that after writing to Naish USA, providing all the photo evidence of the bar failure, they sent me a new bar and also a new Pivot (mine was damaged after the bar failure). that was great customer support

Mlkiml wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Same happened here:

2020 ATB Torque bar, knot slipped out from ball and flag out line broke I believe at the same time.
I quick released, but didn't notice flag out line had broken, so the kite flew away. wind was side on so they rescued my kite on the beach.

Really not happy with what happened and wrote to Naish asking reason for this equipment failure.

Now I'm trying to add an extra piece of line as advised in a previous post...

BTW I'm seriously considering buying a new control bar (not Naish ofc)

UrosR
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: All Naish

Postby UrosR » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 pm

Hello
I recently swapped the Y with a North piece and the thing works and it was cheap. You can also much easier checks if one of the power lines is longer.
useful links images

Return to “Kitesurfing”