Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Forum for kitesurfers
taiguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Torque Bar - flag line knot slipped through stopper

Postby taiguy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 pm

just to close this out, naish mailed me a replacement metal stopper. it's slightly shorter than the black plastic stopper and the hole is ever so slightly smaller as well.

btw, for anyone who doesn't have one, I got to use a fid I purchased a few years back, for the first time - and it was awesome. purpose built tool for loosening stuck knots. it's pointy but not sharp. Instead of chewing on the knot, banging it with a hammer, or trying to stab it; two quick poke and pries and the knot was loose. worth picking up for the $8 on amazon.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Metal stopper? I advise you to keep an eye on it, that it doesn't chew up the lines....

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:33 am

Jfactor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm
Use the ozone stopper ball from kiteboarding.com. The hole is TINY and will probably require you to open it up a tad. I’m using these on the bars I’m making and there’s no way you’ll have the knot pass through again.

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... opper_ball
I can recommend this tiny red stopper ball as well, tapered smooth hole works well, you will need to wet your lines and use a thin feeder line to pull your line through the tiny hole, (the right way round mind!} try to avoid enlarging the hole, just use a bit of lube (water) and a lot of grunt to pull the line through.

Mlkiml
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 200lb
Local Beach: Sardinia Porto Pollo (ITA)
Como Lake Colico (ITA)
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Red Sea
Cape Town
Miami Beach
Florida Keys
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish: ATB Torque, Pivot 9, Pivot 12, Monarch 135, Motion 138
North: Navigator Bar
Slingshot: Compstick Guardian, Rally 6m, Rally 8m, RPM 11m, Angry Swallow 5'6
Nobile: NHP Split 142
Duotone: Capa 15m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mlkiml » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Same happened here:

2020 ATB Torque bar, knot slipped out from ball and flag out line broke I believe at the same time.
I quick released, but didn't notice flag out line had broken, so the kite flew away. wind was side on so they rescued my kite on the beach.

Really not happy with what happened and wrote to Naish asking reason for this equipment failure.

Since replacement ball is impossible to find in a short time here in Italy (the original ball was lost in the sea), I used an Ozone stopper ball, but same thing happened again.
Then I tried a double knot like shown in the post above in order to have a bigger knot: it slipped again during a jump.

Now I'm trying to add an extra piece of line as advised in a previous post...

BTW I'm seriously considering buying a new control bar (not Naish ofc)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Mlkiml wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Same happened here:

2020 ATB Torque bar, knot slipped out from ball and flag out line broke I believe at the same time.
I quick released, but didn't notice flag out line had broken, so the kite flew away. wind was side on so they rescued my kite on the beach.

Really not happy with what happened and wrote to Naish asking reason for this equipment failure.

Since replacement ball is impossible to find in a short time here in Italy (the original ball was lost in the sea), I used an Ozone stopper ball, but same thing happened again.
Then I tried a double knot like shown in the post above in order to have a bigger knot: it slipped again during a jump.

Now I'm trying to add an extra piece of line as advised in a previous post...

BTW I'm seriously considering buying a new control bar (not Naish ofc)
Try the Cabrinha power bracket seat. The white one, not the metal. It's a GF reinforced plastic, really tough!

Found it here, but most Cab dealers shold have it, as it replaced the metal one under a recall.

https://www.kitemana.com/cabrinha/power ... dwsrkb8HDw
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Mlkiml (Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Lowkeydude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Muskegon - Grand Haven, Michigan USA
Favorite Beaches: Boca Grandi, Aruba
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR 15mt
Naish Pivot 12mt, 9mt
Board Naish Monarch 138-42
Foil board Axis
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lowkeydude » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 am

taiguy wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 pm
just to close this out, naish mailed me a replacement metal stopper. it's slightly shorter than the black plastic stopper and the hole is ever so slightly smaller as well.

btw, for anyone who doesn't have one, I got to use a fid I purchased a few years back, for the first time - and it was awesome. purpose built tool for loosening stuck knots. it's pointy but not sharp. Instead of chewing on the knot, banging it with a hammer, or trying to stab it; two quick poke and pries and the knot was loose. worth picking up for the $8 on amazon.

Same here. I had this issue 4 times on 2 different ATB 55 and I recently wrote to Naish asking for clarification. They told me they will send an upgraded version of the stopper ball likely as you reported

Let’s see how it goes

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 am

Seems like possibly also an issue with your flagging line thickness (safety line too thin ?), if it happened with the Ozone stopper ball too. This is definitely concerning to read this thread, Naish need to sort this out asap!. I have a standard 2020 ATB bar but my safety line looks ok and has never pulled through the safety. May be try the cabrinha stopper link above.
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:57 am

I have contacted Naish Europe as I'm not very comfortable riding with the standard stopper ball any more knowing this has happened to quite a few riders on here, imagine this happening mid jump at 16/17m up, it could make the kite start initiating a loop. Does anyone know where a new aluminium Naish stopper can be bought, or have a link ?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 am
Seems like an issue with your flagging line thickness to me (safety line too thin), if it happened with the Ozone stopper too. This is definitely concerning to read this thread, Naish need to sort this out asap!. I have a standard 2020 ATB bar but my safety line looks fine and has never pulled through the safety. I would try the cabrinha stopper link above.
If only you could use a thicker flagout line so the knot is thick enough so it doesn't slip through the stopper.

But noo, the designers are too lazy to implement a 8mm hole through the chickenloop. So they are stuck with a bunch of bad fixes to try to get tiny knot to stay blocked under the stopper.
If they make the knot any bigger it doesn't pass through the chickenloop anymore, but instead of redesigning the chickenloop they focus on the stopper... :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Metal stopper? I advise you to keep an eye on it, that it doesn't chew up the lines....
My NEW 2017 Cabrinha bar came with a metal stopper, which was recalled, and in the half-dozen sessions I had on the bar before it arrived...it snapped the front line. Happened again the other day with the plastic stopper. The whole thing is a shit design.

I'm going to try a mini-5th line on the bar...when all the pieces that got destroyed finally arrive :roll:
Last edited by Kamikuza on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”