Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GPS watch for Kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: GPS watch for Kiteboarding

Postby fernmanus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:13 am

I have been using an Apple Watch 5 ever since the release date. It has been submerged countless times. I would never use it for diving, but it is equal to the task of kiteboarding and a whole lot cheaper with better integration to Apple apps than some of the dedicated sports watches. The only weakness is the screen is easily scratched. I remedied that issue with an inexpensive cover from Amazon.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:14 am

And no, you don’t need a waterproof cover unless you are submerging at depth.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby beebad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:53 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:13 am
I have been using an Apple Watch 5 ever since the release date. It has been submerged countless times. I would never use it for diving, but it is equal to the task of kiteboarding and a whole lot cheaper with better integration to Apple apps than some of the dedicated sports watches. The only weakness is the screen is easily scratched. I remedied that issue with an inexpensive cover from Amazon.
The stainless steel model comes with a very durable watch face, the name escapes me right now...Turns out, Apple returned/replaced my series 2 apple watch. I thought i had water damage or something and it was a software glitch that kept it in a An endless loop. Even though i have the stainless model, i have a screen protector on it.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 pm

What band do you use on your Apple Watch? Their standard rubber one doesn’t instill a lot of confidence about staying on.

BE_Kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: North Reach 8,11,13 2020
North Orbit 9,12 2021
Duotone NEO 6,8,9
North Comp, Charge 2020
Nobile 666 135

Postby BE_Kiter » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 pm
What band do you use on your Apple Watch? Their standard rubber one doesn’t instill a lot of confidence about staying on.
I can understand you. I've lost my Apple Watch 2 after 3 years reliable work in a strong wave. :(
So now I'm using an Apple watch 5 and I've put a small string through the holes of the 2 sides to prevent the rubber band to disconnect.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:18 pm

I use a Garmin Forerunner 35. Very basic watch but give a speed and distance readout. Also a map of where I was after the sesh.

SessionsApp
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Based in the midwest, love the Great Lakes!
Favorite Beaches: Kitebeach Maui. Big Bay Cape Town. 3rd Ave, California. Gorge / Hood River. Hatteras.
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot mostly.

Postby SessionsApp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:41 pm

We've been using the Apple Watch since the series 2 first came out for surfing, kiting, SUP, windsurf and have had no issues with waterproofness. Highly recommend a bumper style protector for it though. If you get a protector with a cover over the screen, water will get behind it and mess with the touch screen controls until you clear out the water. We recommend a bumper without a screen cover unless you use one of the press on screen protectors which create a seal with the watch face glass.

We typically use watch bands which have a clasp when riding. The button/hole style of the standard Apple bands (and Nike) are comfortable, but feel like it could come off, though we've never lost a watch using this band. If you have your watch under your long sleeve wetsuit, keep in mind that the water soaked neoprene can degrade the GPS signal a bit, so if you get wonky GPS data - that's probably why.

Hope this helps!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:05 pm

I use the garmin vivoactive 4. Works great with good integration with Strava.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:48 pm

Lots of guys on the west coast use the garmin quatix 5 for racing. I'm gonna hold off on garmin products for a hot second though, lol...

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:13 am

I agree with you fernmannus. The apple watch 5 is ideal for kiting, but yes the screen scratches very easily. I must admit I did not realise that i was buying the watch with the cheaper screen. My 4 year old suunto with sapphire glass that I have worn also has no scratches to the glass. I would advise that if you get an apple watch 5 get the sapphire glass fullstop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”